Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

In my 30s I started to get ear infections, throat and breathing ailments that would linger for weeks every winter. My tonsils were enlarged and if my throat was irritated they would cut off my air when sleeping. In Feb of 2014 I had a bad case of bronchitis. The bronchitis continued and I had to be cleared to have my tonsillectomy on March 13. After the surgery I felt sick like vomiting at the hospital and after getting home. It passed and I dismissed it. It was painful but I expected that. (Waking up after an impacted wisdom tooth was removed was way worse). At 3am the first night I woke up and was vomiting pretty bad. No wonder, as there was a lot of blood in my stomach. The first 4 days were hard as the pain medicine did not last long, only 2 to 3 hours at night. It was like having a pain alarm clock that would wake you up when the medicines wore off. It was hard to eat and drink. Cold things bothered me real bad. It made pain into my ears. Soup or drinks a little warm was the easiest to have. After day 4 the pain medicines lasted a little longer where each night you can sleep a little longer without waking. Day 6 and 7 were a setback because of the exhaustion setting in from not eating and drinking enough. Each day that went by the pain was a little less. Day 12 was a real problem. My whole family came down with a severe stomach virus. It hit me the worst as I was already weak from being sick and having tonsil surgery. I wound up in the hospital on an IV for severe dehydration. Today is day 17 and my throat no longer hurts. I am weak from 2 months of illness and the surgery but I am getting better. I have noticed a big difference in sleeping with my tonsils out. I imagine the throat and lung problems are going to be cut back as well. If you need to have your tonsils out, have it done (I am glad I did) and be patient during your recovery. Maybe you may want to have it done when stomach bugs are around less during the warmer weather. Good luck with your recovery.

Comment from: Aga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

It is day 8 after the surgery, this website helped me on my worst day, so I want to share my experience. It was the first time I felt nausea after general anesthesia. I could not even look at food after the surgery and had, maybe half glass of water. I felt so week, that I could not get up or walk, I had someone to help me. First two days were ok-ish, as I was on time with pain killers, wanted to be ahead, as I could tell it would be very painful otherwise. I don"t understand why hospital gave me regular pills, not soluble, just big white pills to swallow. It was not possible for me to take it, so I dissolved it every time. I could not eat or drink much and I started feeling dehydrated and weak by day 3. I could also feel the scarring at the back of my throat and the taste in my mouth was horrible. Day 4 was the worst for me, my stomach went on strike, I felt really sick and could not take pills any more, as they made me gag. The pain was worse than at the beginning and my ears started hurting very much. I could not lie down on my right side, as something in my throat was blocking my nose and could not breathe. The other side was already in pain and I dreamt of having a sleep and at least being able to lie down on the other side or flat on my back. Everything was hurting, I was exhausted and thirsty and felt really depressed. Being desperate for help, I called the general physician and got prescribed diclofenac suppositories. It was a proper relief, I was asleep first time since the surgery, I ate a bit and had water. I believe I swallowed bits of my scarring and could lie on the right side now, which was not possible before. Up until day 6 it was manageable and then the pain was back, suppositories didn"t work for as long as I would like them to, but at least I gave my stomach a break. I had to take pills in between to maintain the pain. Ear pain is really bad, I have never had problems with ears, so did not expect anything like it. I try to stay hydrated and the minute pain killers kick in, I eat and drink. It makes me feel stronger and helps me sleep better. I am really hoping, it will get better any time now. I was not mentally prepared for such a pain lasting so long. My advice, make sure you have good pain killers, loads of them.

Comment from: Anurag, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Today is the 6th day after my tonsillectomy. Here is my experience: Day of Surgery: I came off very well from anesthesia. I could feel the surgery pain but was lesser than the normal tonsillitis pain. I assumed I"m stronger than other who underwent the surgery. Day 2: I was still on glucose (given through the vein) so felt energetic and the pain was low to moderate. Day 3 to 6: Pain is severe, it in the ear, throat and jaws; unbearable without pain killers. My advice to all is keep yourself hydrated, gargle with Betadine every 2 to 4 hours (in cold water). Drink a lot of liquid and eat soft food like noodles, pasta, cold custard, scrambled eggs, etc. and be patient.

Comment from: MamaJacRex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 2 days post-surgery and I must say that this recovery has not been as bad as I thought. I read a lot of posts and scared myself! I prepared for this surgery for about a month. I ate super clean, cut sugar and processed foods. When I got home from surgery, I drank a ton of water (at least 32 oz). It hurts to drink at first, but I feel that has been the thing that has really helped me. I have been able to eat beans, rice, bread with butter and pasta. Eating hurts too, but I have been able to get up and do things e.g., clean the kitchen, cook and take care of my child. I have been adamant about taking pain pills every 4 hours and if I feel any pain in-between this time frame, I am taking children"s ibuprofen. This really works. I have also been drinking aloe vera juice. Ice packs on the neck have really helped to keep the swelling down as have popsicles. I have a humidifier running very close to my face at all times. I suffered from tonsil stones which were affecting my life. I was insecure and I felt that my breath was always stinky. I am so happy to have my tonsils out, I will never have to think about tonsil stones ever again. If you are wondering whether or not to have a tonsillectomy, I say go for it. Stay hydrated, and eat! It hurts, but not as bad as getting dehydrated and hungry. I went in to this surgery expecting the absolute worst and it has not been that bad. I hope this helps anyone who is in my situation. Good luck!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?