Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: JoSo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 60 year old female who should have had tonsillectomy done when I was a kid! Main reason for surgery was tonsil stones with sore throat. Today is day 6 and I am still taking painkillers every 5 to 6 hours, mostly Tylenol 3 with codeine. It hurts to talk and swallow. I'm still on soft cool, or cold foods and no scabs have fallen off. If it is an 11 day turnaround, I can't wait to wake up on day 11. My throat and tongue are swollen to the point where I can't even see back there, which is worse than yesterday. I hope it is worth it when I am healed up!

Comment from: sandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am on day 7 of my tonsillectomy. I am dying. I have had good days and bad. The worst is getting up in the morning and dealing with my kids. I cannot talk and I have 2 small children that need constant direction. I am starving. I was told I could eat soft foods on the day after but I can barely eat a thing. Not only does my throat hurt, the back of my tongue hurts. It feels like it has been chewed up. I ate scrambled eggs on day 2 and tried again on day 3 and 4 and could not eat them. I have been living off popsicles, Jell-O, chicken broth, and tea. I manage to get a couple bites of this or that down from time to time but if it doesn't hurt, it burns. Sometimes even the popsicles burn. This morning I had applesauce and it burned. I dread sleeping. I set alarms on my phone to get up and at least take a sip of something. I was told using a humidifier would help. I believe it has some. I have had some awful drainage since the surgery. That caused me to miss some sleep. Every time I dozed off I would wake up not being able to breathe. I was told to steer away from dairy as it would cause mucus and coughing. I cannot have coffee or anything with flavor. Heartburn and reflux are enemy number 1. I have had small fever here and there and times of utter fatigue. I am back at work but only because I do bookkeeping. I am hiding in my office away from everyone.

Comment from: Mimc, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the tonsillectomy surgery on September 29th. I was super worried because of what I read about the recovery and what my doctor said about it also. Days 1 and 2 for me were not bad at all, lots of soft foods but was able to talk with ease and really no pain! I was taking 1/2 a Percocet every 3 hours for pain instead of a full one because I don't do well with them! Well, days 3 until now which is day 8, it's gotten worse and worse! The pain is absolutely horrible and it's a challenge to swallow without bad pain! My ears are killing me. I'm sleeping maybe 2 hours maximum at a time and making sure I keep it wet with ice water! Today is my 1 week checkup so I will post how the next few days go! I can't wait until this is done because it really is awful!

Comment from: VDuncs, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am currently on day 11 of recovery. I just wanted to say how convinced I was after reading endless accounts on sites such as this about how bad tonsillectomy recoveries were that I was in for a lot of pain. But fortunately, I experienced very low levels of pain (far less pain than I would have with a normal spout of tonsillitis). I would rate it a 4/10 on the worst days. So there is hope for those expecting to get one that it may go smoothly. Maybe I am just lucky, but I think eating as normally as you can, and taking your painkillers religiously are the best tips I can give you.

Comment from: Debbie C, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I had my tonsillectomy on September 25. It was done by the tissue welding technique. I was kept in the hospital overnight and kept on IV fluid and given liquid Tylenol every 4 hours and morphine upon request. I took the morphine twice during the hospital stay. Not because I was in pain but because I was afraid not to and have the pain that everyone speaks of. I got up in the morning and was able to eat some eggs and oatmeal. I have been able to eat a soft diet and drink everyday with no pain. I have also been taking amoxicillin 3 times a day since the surgery. I am now on day 8. I had no swelling. The second day my ears were throbbing a little when lying flat but went away if I stayed elevated. While on hydrocodone I felt no pain at all. I have been sleeping all night since the surgery. I took the medication along with anti-nausea medicine for the first 6 days although I think I could have gotten by with over the counter Tylenol but didn't want to chance it. I have been off all medication for the past 2 days except for the antibiotic and only feel a very mild sore throat when swallowing. I do get a little tickle every once in a while and ice chips help with that. It does hurt to yawn but overall it has been a very easy recovery. After reading the horror stories, I cancelled my surgery that I was supposed to have last year. I researched this technique and contacted Microline to find surgeons that used this procedure. They were extremely helpful. I did have to travel 2.5 hours but was able to have my consultation and pre-operation procedure on the same day. I hope this has been helpful.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?