Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: tate123, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had my tonsillectomy on Friday the 2nd May, and I am 26 years old. Today is day 6 post operation and I am feeling really good. I am only taking 1 codeine and 1 paracetamol ever 6 to 7 hours. I am finding I do have to take another paracetamol a couple of hours later just because my earache gets bad. As far as my throat, it feels fine, still hurts to swallow but not as painful. I have eaten toast cheesy beans and bread, yoghurt and tonight I have a sausage casserole for dinner. Days 1 - 2 are good days as the anesthetic is still in your system. Just make sure you are drinking plenty of water and taking your medicines, I was eating a lot of toast these days which was difficult but I managed it and feel my recovery has been good because of the amount of water and toast I had the first 2 days. Day 3 and 4 were the worst days for me. I had pain in my throat and my ears were really bad and I was sick. I didn"t eat much these days, managed some cheesy beans and bread, packet of chips and yet again toast. Day 5 which was yesterday I reduced my medicines, earache pain is by far worse than my throat. I was eating normal meals for breakfast, I had toast for breakfast, for lunch I had pasta bake and for dinner had shepherd's pie and vegetables. I would say just make sure you rest and don"t do anything. I have found if I get up to go to the kitchen or bathroom I get very dizzy and lightheaded and need to lay down fast. Just drink all the time and eat normally and rest and the recovery will go well.

Comment from: Nikki, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I"m sitting here on day five after tonsillectomy. I"m 31 year old and suffered from several bouts of strep each year and asked my new ENT doctor here to take my tonsils out. Time will tell if it helps. I have had a horrendous time and have been to the emergency room (ER) twice, admitted the second time. Evening of surgery, I threw up a few times (blood, yikes!) and went to an ER other than the one I had surgery at. The doctor took an x-ray of my stomach, gave me anti-nausea medicines and sent me home. This is after vomiting blood in front of her! I told her that I couldn"t swallow at all and was worried about dehydration and she said I was "young and strong" so I wouldn"t dehydrate. Two days later, I still couldn"t swallow at all! Not just because of pain, I tried but nothing would go down. I went back to the same hospital I had surgery at and they admitted me overnight due to dehydration and high white blood cell count. They got fluids in me, put me on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and pain medicines via IV and I felt like a million bucks! Although I still couldn"t swallow. I would try and the water would just stay there and I would kind of choke. So I"m home from the hospital on day 5 with ibuprofen (doesn"t make me nauseous like Tylenol with codeine) and a steroid pack for swelling. I got a pill crusher, crushed the ibuprofen and put it in applesauce. I still can"t swallow but I kind of swish the applesauce in the mouth. Once I got it all down I felt great and was able to eat a Popsicle. I have to let it slide down or swallow several times. I have a horrible amount of phlegm and post nasal drip. Anyway, I read people saying to be on time with pain medicines so I set my alarm for 6 hours later and went to sleep pain free. Well, I overslept by 2 hours and woke up in immense pain! I can barely open my mouth. My tongue and throat are throbbing and swollen. So I"m sitting here trying to get down my applesauce/ibuprofen mix and am starting to slowly fell relief. From now on, I will always be on time with pain medicines! My doc said it's rare to have this no swallowing issue but I"m really having to teach myself. I still can't drink liquids, just let ice chips and Popsicles melt and run down. I have no idea how people say they just keep gulping water from day 1! I couldn"t even get down ice chips until day 5! I suppose everyone is different but I"d like to think I have a high threshold for pain. If something doesn"t feel right, go back to the hospital! Too early to say if it"s worth it. Good luck out there!

Comment from: Rebecca sans tonsils, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

It is day 8 after tonsillectomy. The past two were excruciating. I thought it was better this morning, but this afternoon has a different opinion. Everything hurts. My throat, ears, teeth, jaw, head, back, shoulders, even my hair. I want to crawl into a ball under the covers, but thanks to pain medicines my body is doing a poor job at temperature regulation; I'm on fire, then teeth chattering, good times. I"m starting to get hungry, but everything hurts; warm, cold, even water feels like shards. So I"m super emotional too. Hunger and pain do that. Husband will be calling the doctor to check on a few things. He has to because I still can"t talk.

Comment from: latom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had my tonsils out in December by coblation, but I remember reading all of the awful posts. I am here to say that I had a relatively easy recovery, and yours may not be so bad! I was able to eat soft foods (pasta, pancakes, refried beans, etc.) all the way through my recovery and was off the pain medication by day 7. The best advice I have is to set an alarm every few hours and wake up and drink water! It will hurt, but it will feel much worse in the morning if you don"t. Also take your pain medication at the instructed interval throughout the night. Do not wait until the morning to take the next dose. I felt the most pain in my ears. I used heat on my ears and cold things on my throat (popsicles, smoothies, etc.). Best of luck to you. Remember, every recovery is different, and yours may not be so terrible!

Comment from: jennylynn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

This is day four (Monday) had the surgery was on Friday. The doctor did not hide his shock from seeing how big my tonsils were without infection. They definitely were in need of being removed. I keep getting mixed answers about things. Some say I should be healing really well by now and have given me a bit of a hassle about saying I am in pain. Others are amazed I am even up and about. Honestly I was hoping I would at least have the majority of the pain gone by now. I am not able to sleep more than an hour or so at a time before I wake up from pain. I barely have choked down a tiny but of macaroni and cheese, but other than that the only thing I can handle is sherbet and popsicles. I called my doctor and I do not know if it was office or what but they made it out like it was a huge hassle to contact them about still being in pain. The liquid pain medicine only takes the edge off. I definitely have mixed feelings about whether I should have had this done or not, now that I am in this kind of pain.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?