Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Aga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

It is day 8 after the surgery, this website helped me on my worst day, so I want to share my experience. It was the first time I felt nausea after general anesthesia. I could not even look at food after the surgery and had, maybe half glass of water. I felt so week, that I could not get up or walk, I had someone to help me. First two days were ok-ish, as I was on time with pain killers, wanted to be ahead, as I could tell it would be very painful otherwise. I don"t understand why hospital gave me regular pills, not soluble, just big white pills to swallow. It was not possible for me to take it, so I dissolved it every time. I could not eat or drink much and I started feeling dehydrated and weak by day 3. I could also feel the scarring at the back of my throat and the taste in my mouth was horrible. Day 4 was the worst for me, my stomach went on strike, I felt really sick and could not take pills any more, as they made me gag. The pain was worse than at the beginning and my ears started hurting very much. I could not lie down on my right side, as something in my throat was blocking my nose and could not breathe. The other side was already in pain and I dreamt of having a sleep and at least being able to lie down on the other side or flat on my back. Everything was hurting, I was exhausted and thirsty and felt really depressed. Being desperate for help, I called the general physician and got prescribed diclofenac suppositories. It was a proper relief, I was asleep first time since the surgery, I ate a bit and had water. I believe I swallowed bits of my scarring and could lie on the right side now, which was not possible before. Up until day 6 it was manageable and then the pain was back, suppositories didn"t work for as long as I would like them to, but at least I gave my stomach a break. I had to take pills in between to maintain the pain. Ear pain is really bad, I have never had problems with ears, so did not expect anything like it. I try to stay hydrated and the minute pain killers kick in, I eat and drink. It makes me feel stronger and helps me sleep better. I am really hoping, it will get better any time now. I was not mentally prepared for such a pain lasting so long. My advice, make sure you have good pain killers, loads of them.

Comment from: Anurag, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Today is the 6th day after my tonsillectomy. Here is my experience: Day of Surgery: I came off very well from anesthesia. I could feel the surgery pain but was lesser than the normal tonsillitis pain. I assumed I"m stronger than other who underwent the surgery. Day 2: I was still on glucose (given through the vein) so felt energetic and the pain was low to moderate. Day 3 to 6: Pain is severe, it in the ear, throat and jaws; unbearable without pain killers. My advice to all is keep yourself hydrated, gargle with Betadine every 2 to 4 hours (in cold water). Drink a lot of liquid and eat soft food like noodles, pasta, cold custard, scrambled eggs, etc. and be patient.

Comment from: MamaJacRex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 2 days post-surgery and I must say that this recovery has not been as bad as I thought. I read a lot of posts and scared myself! I prepared for this surgery for about a month. I ate super clean, cut sugar and processed foods. When I got home from surgery, I drank a ton of water (at least 32 oz). It hurts to drink at first, but I feel that has been the thing that has really helped me. I have been able to eat beans, rice, bread with butter and pasta. Eating hurts too, but I have been able to get up and do things e.g., clean the kitchen, cook and take care of my child. I have been adamant about taking pain pills every 4 hours and if I feel any pain in-between this time frame, I am taking children"s ibuprofen. This really works. I have also been drinking aloe vera juice. Ice packs on the neck have really helped to keep the swelling down as have popsicles. I have a humidifier running very close to my face at all times. I suffered from tonsil stones which were affecting my life. I was insecure and I felt that my breath was always stinky. I am so happy to have my tonsils out, I will never have to think about tonsil stones ever again. If you are wondering whether or not to have a tonsillectomy, I say go for it. Stay hydrated, and eat! It hurts, but not as bad as getting dehydrated and hungry. I went in to this surgery expecting the absolute worst and it has not been that bad. I hope this helps anyone who is in my situation. Good luck!

Comment from: YoungMommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

It is post tonsillectomy day 17 and I am posting this to maybe help someone going through what I went through. I was in so much pain the first 2 weeks of course, I hadn"t had food in 2 weeks, and as much water as I could tolerate, then I felt as if I was getting worse! I still couldn"t eat, and when I drank liquids my throat would burn so bad to the point where I was crying. I went to the emergency room, and they looked at my throat and said "no wonder you"re still in so much pain, you have thrush" (bacterial infection). I was so relieved to hear that there was a reason and a simple cure! I was prescribed an oral antifungal solution and a pill that would help clear up the infection. Now, a few days later I can finally have Gatorade! Something I have been dying to have, and have finally started eating a bit. Overall, this surgery was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced, I have lost 20 pounds, I was so out of energy from not eating, and at one point I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital just to get some nutrition and hydration through an IV! On top of that, I take care of my 2 year old daughter full time. I am finally starting to feel as if there"s hope, and my recovery is longer and worse than it should have been. If anyone out there feels as if they can"t take anymore, just think about what I went through and remind yourself that it could be worse.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?