Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: KMAE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 25, I had my tonsils and adenoids removed on April 3rd, 2017. I read before I had surgery and saw so much negativity and complaints of horrific pain and bleeding, and it scared me to death. Let me tell you, this procedure was a walk in the park compared to every testimony I read. I did some things differently though to help my chances with pain. I am auto immune and have Crohn's so I was very afraid of added pain to my life, but had no choice when it came to the removal. Firstly, I did not consume any sugar post-surgery. I started cutting sugar out of my diet 2 weeks before to help myself not have a withdrawal problem. This surgery obviously leaves you with open wounds, why would I want sugar in an open wound! That is like eating candy when you have a canker sore. Secondly I ate every day, 3 times a day. I ate plain eggs (no salt or anything), apple oatmeal and pasta (pasta was day 4). I drank water all day. The pain is when things get dry so drinking room temperature water is your best goal. Be careful about using a straw, it is not recommended. Third, I had a large humidifier that was on all night right by my head. I slept propped up which really helped with the pressure in my throat. Ice is always good for swelling, but massaging the jaw muscles was my best choice, they will be tender but keeping them loose helps you not to clench your jaw from pain. I had no ear pain at all, but was prepared for it with cotton balls, garlic and organic olive oil. I mixed the garlic and olive oil in a small Tupperware and put it in the fridge ready to be used. I took my pain medicines in liquid form every 5 hours for 9 days and then switched to Tylenol. Keeping food in you helps so much with healing because you are getting nutrition required so your body can focus on the ailment at hand. This was not a horrible terrible time, yes it hurts, and it felt like severe post nasal drip to me. I brushed my teeth 4 times a day to keep bacteria down and I stretched my jaw (as far as comfortable) very often so it would not get too tight (the massaging helped a lot). Don't be afraid of this procedure. Mentally I told myself I would handle whatever happened and being prepared with water, humidifier, massage techniques, pain medicines, eating and keeping my mouth very clean landed me a fine experience. I would go through this surgery again if I had too (we all know that won't happen though).

Comment from: AubzisAubz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

Worst pain ever! I'm a week out of tonsillectomy and the pain gets worse every day. I've read it is supposed to get better but for me it is not. I'm usually not one to be upset over pain and cry, I've had injuries and surgery before, but this is absolutely horrible. I can't speak, eat or drink, feels like someone is cutting my throat open constantly.

Comment from: kbv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have recently had a tonsillectomy and am currently on day 6 of my recovery and I thought I would share for anyone who is worried, reading like I did beforehand and freaking out. I am 30 years old and I have had several operations in the past and this isn't one of the worst which I thought by reading reviews it would be. The first few days following the operation was fine, I was eating normally and talking normally, day 5 and 6 (today) has been the worst, yesterday I struggled to talk and even swallow water but when you are not talking/eating the pain isn't there constantly. I would highly suggest taking the medications regularly to keep the pain at bay. It isn't as bad as originally thought, try drinking a lot of water, and soup is good. You do tend to lose your appetite, I used to be always hungry and following the operation I am not, I think it is a lot to do with the pain killers. Do not worry, it will be worth it in the end.

Comment from: Dano, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had several throat operations as an adult. The first was an extended tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. The second was a widening of the throat and tightening of the palette. These operations hurt like you would not believe. I thought it was all ice cream and jelly, but I found out differently! The first operation was just before Christmas and it made it a miserable period. I nearly cried with the swallowing pain a few times. The medications needed to be taken every few hours day and night, and their effect wore out before I was due for the next dose. The second operation was in Colombia where they are more liberal with their prescriptions (Voltaren and a pain killer) but even there I preferred not to eat than take the pain. I lost about 5 kg. Towards the end I discovered that raw egg goes down very easily. A few gulps and you've had a more or less pain free meal. That discovery really saved me. Also useful is soaking chia or linseeds in water; it creates a slippery drink that goes down more easily than water itself. Also a little bit of salt in water (or tea), and baking soda helps to make each sip go down easier. I really hope this helps some people.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?