Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: MamaJacRex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I am 2 days post-surgery and I must say that this recovery has not been as bad as I thought. I read a lot of posts and scared myself! I prepared for this surgery for about a month. I ate super clean, cut sugar and processed foods. When I got home from surgery, I drank a ton of water (at least 32 oz). It hurts to drink at first, but I feel that has been the thing that has really helped me. I have been able to eat beans, rice, bread with butter and pasta. Eating hurts too, but I have been able to get up and do things e.g., clean the kitchen, cook and take care of my child. I have been adamant about taking pain pills every 4 hours and if I feel any pain in-between this time frame, I am taking children"s ibuprofen. This really works. I have also been drinking aloe vera juice. Ice packs on the neck have really helped to keep the swelling down as have popsicles. I have a humidifier running very close to my face at all times. I suffered from tonsil stones which were affecting my life. I was insecure and I felt that my breath was always stinky. I am so happy to have my tonsils out, I will never have to think about tonsil stones ever again. If you are wondering whether or not to have a tonsillectomy, I say go for it. Stay hydrated, and eat! It hurts, but not as bad as getting dehydrated and hungry. I went in to this surgery expecting the absolute worst and it has not been that bad. I hope this helps anyone who is in my situation. Good luck!

Comment from: YoungMommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

It is post tonsillectomy day 17 and I am posting this to maybe help someone going through what I went through. I was in so much pain the first 2 weeks of course, I hadn"t had food in 2 weeks, and as much water as I could tolerate, then I felt as if I was getting worse! I still couldn"t eat, and when I drank liquids my throat would burn so bad to the point where I was crying. I went to the emergency room, and they looked at my throat and said "no wonder you"re still in so much pain, you have thrush" (bacterial infection). I was so relieved to hear that there was a reason and a simple cure! I was prescribed an oral antifungal solution and a pill that would help clear up the infection. Now, a few days later I can finally have Gatorade! Something I have been dying to have, and have finally started eating a bit. Overall, this surgery was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced, I have lost 20 pounds, I was so out of energy from not eating, and at one point I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital just to get some nutrition and hydration through an IV! On top of that, I take care of my 2 year old daughter full time. I am finally starting to feel as if there"s hope, and my recovery is longer and worse than it should have been. If anyone out there feels as if they can"t take anymore, just think about what I went through and remind yourself that it could be worse.

Comment from: Duke02, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 47 and had my tonsils out January 24th. It was every bit as bad as I thought it would be and then some. Honestly, the worst pain I have ever experienced. I have been sick since before Christmas and I am still sick. My tonsils were so full of infections I was on antibiotics for a long time before and after surgery. I am still dealing with pain and swollen throat, pain in my ear, an abnormal voice due to the swelling in my throat, and chronic nasal drainage that is driving me crazy. My latest symptoms are lightheadedness and nausea. Sometimes my throat is so swollen it is difficult to swallow my food. I am regretting the surgery because it didn't help at all with any of my symptoms but rather made things worse for me.

Comment from: Philippa, 19-24 (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 19 years old and just had my tonsils out yesterday .The operation for me wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be I surprising wasn't even nervous. You must remember everyone heals and does things at their own rate! There were 3 of us having tonsillectomies and we each had a different experience. One girl was eating after 2 hours and was feeling great, the boy there was taken up to emergency room and didn't do too well. I only spent 20 minutes in the recovery room then went back to my ward. I was sick for the first hour gagging and felling so bad I couldn't even speak but then I started to feel good and talk and drink. I am really sore at the moment but yoghurt and water help heaps. Not looking forwards to the earaches and scabbing but so far not to bad!

Comment from: SRMCKAMEY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 39 and had my tonsillectomy on Monday, February 24th. The first day was not too bad because I slept the entire day. After that it was horrible. The scabs gagged me bad and I was nauseous. Then I got thrush. So I had a very sore throat with gagging scabs and thrush that made my mouth hurt very bad. I have been on medicine since Saturday, March 1st for the thrush. It"s cleared up some but my mouth still hurts and when I try to eat food it feels so grainy it gags me. So I have gagging scars in the back of my throat and thrush that is gagging me when I try to eat. It is day 9 now and I still have my scabs. This has been a horrible experience for me. I have cried several times a day for several days. I just want this to be over. I have lost 13 pounds since my surgery. All I can drink is water. Any flavored drink is intensified from the thrush and is nasty. If I could do it over, I would not have the tonsillectomy. I do feel though, that recovery would go better if I had not got thrush. I also see now why babies are so cranky when they get thrush. It is painful.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?