Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: dia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 22 and had my tonsils removed and I am on my 13th day of tonsillectomy. First 4 days were very horrible, there was pain in my ears and throat. Worst part was bleeding started from my throat on my 10th day and I rushed to the emergency room and doctor used suction to remove blood clots. I was not able to take food (solid food) and doctor told me that bleeding started because I didn't take solid food. I advise all those who are aged 19 to 25 to take proper instructions regarding your diet after tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Denis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 28 year old male and I had a tonsillectomy on the 1st of March. During the surgery I was sleeping and everything went ok. Days 1 to 3 were bad but somehow manageable. I went home on day 2. On day 3 I even went outside for a short walk. I was taking strong pills so that I was able to eat something. On day 4, the pain got worse. This pain lasted up to day 8. Although I was taking a lot of pills, I never had such pain in my life. Pain was much stronger than during the first 3 days. The worst are nights and mornings. After day 8, the things got better quite fast. I also got antibiotics on day 14 and now, 3 weeks after the surgery, everything is more or less fine.

Comment from: Dallas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had my tonsillectomy on February 24th after years of tonsillitis. I have to say this is the best decision I have made in a while. I am a big guy 6 ft. 4 inches, 250 lb. and my tonsils were massive. The second day after surgery I had a massive fever, this was definitely the worst. I think the cause of the fever was lack of sleep that night. Every other night I slept fine and woke up to take my pain medicine then fell right back to sleep. The pain was bad but it was nothing unbearable. Stick to eating Jell-O, parfait, scrambled eggs, milkshakes and ice cream, and also drink at least a gallon of water a day. After about the 11th day I was able to start eating whole foods again. I used to snore like a freight train but now my girlfriend says that I'm sleeping silently. That and being able to breathe through my nose better made this surgery a must.

Comment from: Faye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had the tonsillectomy procedure done nearly a week ago. Maybe I just had a good surgeon, but my experience has not been nearly as bad as most of these reviews. I take amoxicillin to prevent infection, and an ibuprofen when needed. I also gargle with salt water after eating. Staying hydrated (with cool, not cold water) and not speaking has helped the healing process. The worst part for me is the taste in my mouth when I eat cold liquids. I'm upset because this means I can't eat all the yogurt and popsicles I bought. Oatmeal has been wonderful though. I'm sure the bad taste is from the scabs and dead tissue in the back of my throat, but I try not to think about it. This entire experience is only a fraction of the pain I felt when my ovarian cysts ruptured, so maybe that's why the tonsillectomy recovery hasn't been very painful for me.

Comment from: Jonesy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

I'm on recovery day number 7 after tonsillectomy and the pain isn't too bad. My ears hurt the most when trying to get liquids down so I remained hydrated with ice chips. I didn't have the easiest recovery though. I was rushed to the emergency room due to one of my scabs falling off prematurely. And I was bleeding profusely. There was a blood clot and the doctor had to use suction to get the clot out! I'm a 21 year old man in the military with an extremely high tolerance to pain and that there was the most painful thing I've ever encountered. I had to hold my fiancee's and the medical assistant's hand throughout the process. I never let the doctor see me cry even though when he left tears were just a flowing! Not fun at all! But for the most part you'll get used to the pain. I'm still wanting a full night sleep and a full meal. I'm scared to get on a scale to see what it might say! Have someone who can tend to you as much as possible you'll never know what you'll need. Good luck!

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I'm a 54 year old woman who has had a swollen tonsil for nearly 2 years. Being absolutely terrified of the tonsillectomy surgery I finally decided to do it. I'm on day 7 of recovery and while I'm happy it's over I'm having some issues. My diet has been green and strawberry Jell-O and water. I was given liquid hydrocodone which had to be downgraded to liquid codeine. It burned terribly. I threw up twice before leaving the recovery room and several times for the first 2 days. They give you all these medications, pain medicines, steroids, antibiotics, a medicated mouthwash and anti-nausea pills which made me nauseous. Days 1 and 2 not much sleep, very dry throat and it was hard to exhale through my nose while lying flat. Day 3 I could no longer take antibiotics or steroids, they made me vomit and cry. I tried eating some stuffing yesterday and it felt like it got stuck in there. I tried big gulps of water to dislodge it but it got worse this morning and bled a little. It actually feels like I'm back on day 3. I am not taking the steroids or antibiotics and I have cut back on the codeine. I am not having any other pains. So the deal is, it hurts awfully for a few days, you see some light at the end of the tunnel then it hurts exactly the same as day 3 for a while! Force yourself to drink water or be dehydrated which is awful. Thankfully my husband forced me to drink, I'd cry but I did it. Looking forward to spending my summer on the boat with my little grandkids. Good luck everyone!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?