Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: mylifewasover, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I spent 30 minutes at the operation theater for tonsillectomy and it is when I realized my life was over. I wake up every 4 hours at night with terrible pain that I never experienced in my entire life. Now in 5 days my ears are paining, I couldn't eat, or drink water the way I used to. In my life I wouldn't advice someone to do tonsillectomy. This operation made my life pure agony.

Comment from: Alabama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had to have a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy because my tonsils were so big. Kissing tonsils they say. I'm on day 5 and that pain has gotten a little more tolerable. I've only been able to eat yogurt, popsicles, and drink water and tea since the surgery. The mornings are the worst trying to swallow. I have to take a Benadryl and eat yogurt to mix with the medicine which I'm allergic to because it burns my throat to swallow. The bright side of it all I'll breathe better and will not have to sleep on a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine anymore. Wish everybody else good luck and a speedy recovery.

Comment from: 26yrMale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

On day 1 I had tonsillectomy surgery at 9 am. I got put to sleep and woke up at 11:30 feeling dazed from anesthetic. My pain was like 2 out of 10, I told the nurse I was feeling 7 out of 10 so I can get an extra shot of morphine. About 20 minutes later I really needed to go take a leak and I was able to go on my own but they wouldn't let me because I was in the patient recovery section. I would have to be transferred in order to use the washroom. So I got transferred to the patient checkup section. I walked to go take a leak, and got a couple of Popsicles. I left the hospital about an hour 2 hours afterwards. I got home, lay upwards, had ice cold water only, and rested. Important thing is, when you swallow it hurts terribly, so tilt your head up every time you swallow. Don't clear your throat! Day 2, I drove myself to go buy ice cream, yogurt, juice, Popsicles. Continue swallowing by tilting your head up so it help with the pain. Rest all day and don't talk! Don't clear your throat! Day 3, I woke up with a load of mucus and phlegm and cleared it out. I brushed my teeth with cold water only. I brushed my tongue also. I ate ice cream, drank juice and a lot of water! I drove downtown, walked around in the sun to get some vitamin D. At night time I ate chicken noodle soup, and I was chewing lightly. Eat the noodles, only make sure they are well cooked and soft. I went to bed hoping to sleep some more. Day 4 which is today, May 5 2016, I am eating noodle soup. Make sure it is well cooked, throw some onions parsley or anything green that gets cooked and soft, you need some greens in you. I ate scrambled eggs and 3 bowls of different type of noodle soup. I drank a lot of guava juice and had coconut Popsicle, some crab soup with fish maw soup or something from a Chinese restaurant. Today was the day I took a shower. I cleared my throat, oh yeah, have a cup of water with you always! A note: the pain so far was worst on first and second day. I haven't taken the pain medicine oxycodone that I bought to take home yet. I am managing without it, be a man and take the pain, don't mess up your body. I only took the amoxicillin every 4 hours every single day to prevent an infection. Make sure you have water by you side! It is not so bad and I am managing.

Comment from: andnepo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am on day 6 after tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. It hurts terribly. Typically, for the post-surgery recovery the worst day is day 3. In my case, every day after day 3 was the worst. Everything seems to be in pain; my tongue, my throat, my jaw and even teeth. The tongue remains all swollen and looks like a jelly. The painkillers do not seem to be helping too much although they make me drowsy so I can sleep. My pain cycles go like this: I start feeling a bad pain from my throat dried out despite the fact I drink a lot of water. I drink a glass of water. The process itself seems to be making micro-cracks in the throat that makes the pain virtually intolerable. At this stage, the painkillers do not seem to help. While having my throat, tongue and teeth on fire I apply ice packs and start walking in circles as staying still is even worse. About 5 to 15 minutes later the pain starts to fade. I have about 45 minutes of pain free time. Then everything goes to the phase 1. During the daytime, such pain cycles are ok. However, at night it is very bad because if under painkillers' influence I sleep a bit longer, I wake up in a horrible pain so that even drinking water feels like swallowing burning coal. Meal consumption is also quite tricky. Of course, I cannot eat any solid food so everything goes through blender. Then 40 minutes before the meal, I take the pain medicines. Then I have about 1 or 2 minutes of quick food swallowing before my throat goes on fire. Then I just follow with the steps above. I am so glad the doctor prescribed me 2 weeks off work. Initially I thought he was exaggerating but now it seems like even 2 weeks will not be enough. I knew this was a painful procedure but I did not expect it to be that painful.

Comment from: B, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I had tonsil stones and an inflamed right tonsil for several years. I could not stand another day of disgusting stones, using a flashlight every day to clean them out, and dealing with being insecure about my breath. I decided to have them out. I'm on day 6 of recovery after my tonsillectomy. Today has been the worst in terms of pain. I thought that days 1 to 5 were painful but bearable as long as I stayed on top of the pain medications. Day 6 I woke up feeling like I swallowed razor blades. This recovery is unusual in that way. You are deceived into feeling ok by day 4 or 5, and then all of a sudden, the pain is significantly worse. I have been managing by staggering amounts of ibuprofen and Vicodin by taking a 600 mg dose of ibuprofen, then 3 hours later a dose of Vicodin. I am worried that my stomach and liver are going to be damaged by all of the pain medications but I cannot remotely function without them at this point. Ice packs on my neck help a lot especially after I wake up in the morning. A lot of people said to set alarms when sleeping to wake up and take medicines on time but I felt that it was better to let myself get all of the uninterrupted sleep possible since a great deal of healing occurs while you're asleep. But I pay the price upon waking up; waves of pain wash over me, and I quickly get an ice pack on and take my medicines and then just wait it out until they kick in. I'm glad I will never have to deal with tonsil stones again, but man, am I ready for this pain cycle to end. I wish everyone else well and a speedy recovery. Hang in there!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?