Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: DK, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

From tonsillectomy, I had very similar side effects to most - but some advice, swallow through the pain, eat through the pain and keep your fiber and fluids up. My 2 biggest issues were (still are - Day 5 currently) constipation (usual chemist relief will do) and struggling to swallow, it would snort in to my nose. I just pinched my nose tightly and voila, problem solved. Really allowed me to increase water consumption. Good luck - such a terrible thing to go through.

Comment from: sam craik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I'm 21 year old and I had my tonsils out on Thursday last week (today is Tuesday). So I"m in day 5 of my recovery. Today is the worst day of all so far. Days one and two were alright looking back but this is unbearable. Ice cream has not helped and I can't even swallow pasta without being in agony. Ear ache is awful too. I hope this gets better by the end of this week. Today I haven"t spoken a word to anybody as it"s too painful instead I"ve been writing notes to my partner. Would not wish this on my worst enemy!

Comment from: HALN, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had my tonsils out 3 weeks ago. My recovery seemed to be going well with pain not much worse than strep throat. On day 6 I went to bed and woke up with my throat bleeding. I freaked out a bit and ended up fainting as well. My hubby took me to emergency where they suctioned the blood clot off my throat (most disgusting experience) and chemically cauterized the area (no pain medications or anything for this). The doctor sent me home and said she didn"t think I would have any more problems. Not 12 hours later and it happens again, this time more blood and more clots and more cauterizing. Sent home. Another 10-12 hours passed and it happens again. This time the blood is streaming. The emergency room (ER) was so busy I sat there for 3 hours bleeding on and off. I had a bucket and filled about a quarter of it. I also swallowed a lot of blood and ended up throwing up a giant gob of blood! (This got me through the emergency line up fast). Same thing again but this time they kept me overnight to see if it would happen again. It did not so I went home. Twenty four hours later, it happened again. This time they kept me again and it happened again at the hospital. Doctors didn"t know why this kept happening and said they had never experienced it. They did a second surgery where they stitched up my tonsil beds and cauterized it out of my throat. Waking up from the second surgery was so much worse. They kept me in the hospital for several days after doing all kinds of tests and making sure I healed properly. I am finally home and feeling human again! It was a horrible experience and I"m not totally sure I"d do it again if I knew what would happen! I honestly think it is because my ENT told me I could take Ibuprofen and it thinned my blood. I am now 15 pounds lighter and developed anemia from the blood loss. Hoping in the end this was all worth it!

Comment from: geminibabii6, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I just had my tonsillectomy on Friday, so 4 days ago. I have been in and out of hospital due to bleeding. I also seem to be running a slight fever of 99.5. I haven"t taken any pain medications since day 2 due to throwing up, I wish I could have gotten liquid pills; I can"t swallow anything! I"m so emotional, every smell and every piece of food I see makes me so jealous; I haven"t eaten at all! I"m drinking about 9 glasses of water, Gatorade, apple juice, anything really cold per day, I"m also urinating quite frequently. I bought a Vicks vaporizer it seems to help with phlegm somewhat. I wasn"t having any bleeding and then all of a sudden a whole chunk of the "white skin" was gone. I"m so lucky they didn"t have to re-cauterize, I spent all day yesterday and today in the hospital. I"m home now in pain, just barely took 2 ibuprofen to bring down fever a bit. This is a really scary and pricey procedure I"m going to be broke for years now! I"m just so over and ready for this to be done, and feel better and right when I"m better I"m going to have the crunchiest spiciest fold ever!

Comment from: Klculbreth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I am on the very beginning of day 2 and it is off to a rough start. Surgery day itself was not bad as I was still pumped with intravenous medicine and the effects of anesthesia. I drank and ate liquid foods as much as I could yesterday because I knew I would not feel up to much today, and boy, am I glad I did! Lidocaine spray has been my lifesaver, your ENT or general physician (GP) can prescribe it. It numbs the surgery site. My advice, buy a huge bag of frozen peas and divide them into sandwich bags. It feels like pellet ice and I am never running out of it because I have six bags on rotation. My main advice: ice, hydrate, lidocaine, swallow through the pain, and zero talking! I had a young nurse tell me to try and talk yesterday and I am paying for it today.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?