Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: BrainsB4Beauty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my procedure done on the 28th of March 2014 and I"m still in a lot of pain. It got worse for me on Monday. The medications started making me sick, and I lost my sense of taste. Now when I drink I can feel these awful scabs in my throat and it makes drinking anything hard and feel extremely gross! Ugh! I was finally able to drink a protein shake after six days of no food and that helped soothe the pain, but now that even seems to burn. I"m about to lose my mind and this is truly taking a toll on me. I can"t eat, can"t sleep, and barely want to talk. And I"ve lost plenty of weight!

Comment from: Male Patient 25, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I am 25 years old. I had my tonsils out approximately 4 months ago. I was in an excruciating amount of pain until about 10 days post-surgery, and this was with 2 different pain medicines. After 10 days, pain subsided and healing really took off pretty rapidly. I am glad they were finally removed, but the pain was definitely a 10 plus.

Comment from: tirama, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Yesterday, I had my tonsillectomy and mediastinoscopic surgery. When I woke up, I had a bandage over my nose but no pain. My throat was in pain before surgery, so after surgery it was double that pain. The pain came in when I tried to swallow. I went home that same day and rested. I took pain medication every 4 hours, drank cold water every hour and ate Jell-O, pudding and popsicles every three hours. The hardest was staying awake during the night to take the medicine and drink water. I also tried to eat mashed potatoes and that actually made me cry. Today is my second day. I added ice pack to my right side of my neck and took ibuprofen. I ate the same food as yesterday, but added baby food and macaroni and cheese.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

In my 30s I started to get ear infections, throat and breathing ailments that would linger for weeks every winter. My tonsils were enlarged and if my throat was irritated they would cut off my air when sleeping. In Feb of 2014 I had a bad case of bronchitis. The bronchitis continued and I had to be cleared to have my tonsillectomy on March 13. After the surgery I felt sick like vomiting at the hospital and after getting home. It passed and I dismissed it. It was painful but I expected that. (Waking up after an impacted wisdom tooth was removed was way worse). At 3am the first night I woke up and was vomiting pretty bad. No wonder, as there was a lot of blood in my stomach. The first 4 days were hard as the pain medicine did not last long, only 2 to 3 hours at night. It was like having a pain alarm clock that would wake you up when the medicines wore off. It was hard to eat and drink. Cold things bothered me real bad. It made pain into my ears. Soup or drinks a little warm was the easiest to have. After day 4 the pain medicines lasted a little longer where each night you can sleep a little longer without waking. Day 6 and 7 were a setback because of the exhaustion setting in from not eating and drinking enough. Each day that went by the pain was a little less. Day 12 was a real problem. My whole family came down with a severe stomach virus. It hit me the worst as I was already weak from being sick and having tonsil surgery. I wound up in the hospital on an IV for severe dehydration. Today is day 17 and my throat no longer hurts. I am weak from 2 months of illness and the surgery but I am getting better. I have noticed a big difference in sleeping with my tonsils out. I imagine the throat and lung problems are going to be cut back as well. If you need to have your tonsils out, have it done (I am glad I did) and be patient during your recovery. Maybe you may want to have it done when stomach bugs are around less during the warmer weather. Good luck with your recovery.

Comment from: Aga, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

It is day 8 after the surgery, this website helped me on my worst day, so I want to share my experience. It was the first time I felt nausea after general anesthesia. I could not even look at food after the surgery and had, maybe half glass of water. I felt so week, that I could not get up or walk, I had someone to help me. First two days were ok-ish, as I was on time with pain killers, wanted to be ahead, as I could tell it would be very painful otherwise. I don"t understand why hospital gave me regular pills, not soluble, just big white pills to swallow. It was not possible for me to take it, so I dissolved it every time. I could not eat or drink much and I started feeling dehydrated and weak by day 3. I could also feel the scarring at the back of my throat and the taste in my mouth was horrible. Day 4 was the worst for me, my stomach went on strike, I felt really sick and could not take pills any more, as they made me gag. The pain was worse than at the beginning and my ears started hurting very much. I could not lie down on my right side, as something in my throat was blocking my nose and could not breathe. The other side was already in pain and I dreamt of having a sleep and at least being able to lie down on the other side or flat on my back. Everything was hurting, I was exhausted and thirsty and felt really depressed. Being desperate for help, I called the general physician and got prescribed diclofenac suppositories. It was a proper relief, I was asleep first time since the surgery, I ate a bit and had water. I believe I swallowed bits of my scarring and could lie on the right side now, which was not possible before. Up until day 6 it was manageable and then the pain was back, suppositories didn"t work for as long as I would like them to, but at least I gave my stomach a break. I had to take pills in between to maintain the pain. Ear pain is really bad, I have never had problems with ears, so did not expect anything like it. I try to stay hydrated and the minute pain killers kick in, I eat and drink. It makes me feel stronger and helps me sleep better. I am really hoping, it will get better any time now. I was not mentally prepared for such a pain lasting so long. My advice, make sure you have good pain killers, loads of them.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?