Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Just A Mom, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My usually very active 6 year old son is on day 11 of his recovery from a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy due to recurrent tonsillitis over the last 3 years (5 plus per year). We have managed his pain with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. He has had an average recovery in my opinion. I really thought he would be back to his old self by now since I was told that children tend to recover more quickly than adults. He is still having moments of sharp pain and is on a mostly soft diet. He does love the ice packs on his neck but is overeating ice cream, imagine that! Warm items seem to increase his pain so we stick to cold and room temperature foods; juice, eggs, yogurt, apples, crackers, etc. I really hope he feels better soon. It is so hard to see your little one in pain. We are running out of movies, books, Legos, and board games.

Comment from: Peter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had my tonsils removed due to them being extremely large and damaged (kissing tonsils). Now I am on day 4 of my recovery from tonsillectomy. The pain at times is unbearable as I find it very painful to even swallow water, medicines or anything else. I have not had any food other than jelly since the operation, but if all goes well, I know at the end it will be 100 percent worth it.

Comment from: dia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 22 and had my tonsils removed and I am on my 13th day of tonsillectomy. First 4 days were very horrible, there was pain in my ears and throat. Worst part was bleeding started from my throat on my 10th day and I rushed to the emergency room and doctor used suction to remove blood clots. I was not able to take food (solid food) and doctor told me that bleeding started because I didn't take solid food. I advise all those who are aged 19 to 25 to take proper instructions regarding your diet after tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Denis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I am a 28 year old male and I had a tonsillectomy on the 1st of March. During the surgery I was sleeping and everything went ok. Days 1 to 3 were bad but somehow manageable. I went home on day 2. On day 3 I even went outside for a short walk. I was taking strong pills so that I was able to eat something. On day 4, the pain got worse. This pain lasted up to day 8. Although I was taking a lot of pills, I never had such pain in my life. Pain was much stronger than during the first 3 days. The worst are nights and mornings. After day 8, the things got better quite fast. I also got antibiotics on day 14 and now, 3 weeks after the surgery, everything is more or less fine.

Comment from: Dallas, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had my tonsillectomy on February 24th after years of tonsillitis. I have to say this is the best decision I have made in a while. I am a big guy 6 ft. 4 inches, 250 lb. and my tonsils were massive. The second day after surgery I had a massive fever, this was definitely the worst. I think the cause of the fever was lack of sleep that night. Every other night I slept fine and woke up to take my pain medicine then fell right back to sleep. The pain was bad but it was nothing unbearable. Stick to eating Jell-O, parfait, scrambled eggs, milkshakes and ice cream, and also drink at least a gallon of water a day. After about the 11th day I was able to start eating whole foods again. I used to snore like a freight train but now my girlfriend says that I'm sleeping silently. That and being able to breathe through my nose better made this surgery a must.

Comment from: Faye, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I had the tonsillectomy procedure done nearly a week ago. Maybe I just had a good surgeon, but my experience has not been nearly as bad as most of these reviews. I take amoxicillin to prevent infection, and an ibuprofen when needed. I also gargle with salt water after eating. Staying hydrated (with cool, not cold water) and not speaking has helped the healing process. The worst part for me is the taste in my mouth when I eat cold liquids. I'm upset because this means I can't eat all the yogurt and popsicles I bought. Oatmeal has been wonderful though. I'm sure the bad taste is from the scabs and dead tissue in the back of my throat, but I try not to think about it. This entire experience is only a fraction of the pain I felt when my ovarian cysts ruptured, so maybe that's why the tonsillectomy recovery hasn't been very painful for me.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?