Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Sher, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 33 years old and had a tonsillectomy last week Wednesday (May 13th). I feel as though I am not getting better. I felt as though they did not give me enough pain medicines so last Friday I had to get some other medicines (Percocet) and those didn't last me too long either. I cannot drink anything. I have to force myself to take the medicines that are crushed up in Gatorade, every 4 to 5 hrs. I am constantly told to drink as much water as I can but I cannot! The pain is too much; to even swallow my saliva is a big deal. I am on day 6 and have cried many times as my ears hurt and it feels like someone took an iron to my throat. I miss food very much but for now just sticking to soup broth, popsicles and some Jell-O. I hope the pain goes away fast as I am due back to work next week. I see the surgeon on Thursday, hope he prescribes some more medicines. Good luck everyone.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: reza, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

Today is my second day post operation. I had tonsil stone on the right side which I used to think was just one, and a cyst hurting me especially during cold or allergic congestions. I was very obsessive regarding cleaning my tonsils and finally after three years of trying useless ways to remove tonsil stones I decided to have them removed. A few days before the tonsillectomy procedure I was very anxious that I couldn't even sleep. Whenever I was reading others' experiences I was about to cancel my operation. Finally I decided to go for surgery and I did it yesterday. Before surgery I prepared myself mentally. I told myself that two or three weeks of misery is part of my life and I can pass it behind. After operation my doctor told me the right tonsil was full of stones and the one that I was worried about was just one of them. And also the part of the cyst on the left side was just tip of the iceberg and the much larger part was behind the tonsil. Though I don't have a fun time now I think I will pass this period successfully. I have pain on swallowing even my own saliva, let alone ice cream! I can't sleep very well now. But these are ok not very intolerable yet.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: gio81, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm on day 5 after my tonsillectomy surgery; what can I say it's been pure agony, not being able to swallow anything including fluids, without extreme pain. I have been given a couple of different pain killers, the most powerful of which is tramadol; now this is an extremely powerful painkiller. I have used it before when I bruised my ribs and it worked a treat, this time however to my shock it has hardly had an effect. Now I will say that I probably have more neck muscle than the average patient, and I was told this would most likely make the recovery more painful. Now if you are thinking that I am a person with low pain tolerance think again, I've been known not to need local anesthesia for dental work. So to the doctors in the 80s who thought removing my adenoids and not my tonsils was okay, think again.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sglenney11, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am on day 5 of recovery from tonsillectomy (including surgery day). Days 1 to 3 were not bad at all. I was able to eat eggs and bread (small bites at a time) less than 24 hours after the procedure. However, the last 2 days have been a bit more painful. It has not been unmanageable though but I don't know if that's because it's not that bad or because I have been very good about taking my medicines and drinking water. I have high hopes that it will only get better from here.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Jodie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am on day three after a tonsillectomy. The day of the surgery was a piece of cake as I was still numb, day two was a little more painful and day three is on par with that. Considering that I had to have stitches after procedure due to a difficult extraction, the pain isn't as bad as my worst case of tonsillitis. I don't know if this is a UK site but here in England we are told to eat normal food like cereal and toast to remove dead tissue, strengthen muscles and to speed up the healing process. I eat about half an hour after taking my medicines, only taking paracetamol and Ibuprofen as I am not risking being sick with codeine. Eating isn't as bad as it sounds, as it hurts just as much as swallowing. Hopefully I am out of the woods and I will start to get better.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Ash, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I got my tonsillectomy on April 9th, and it is the night of day 4 recovery. When I think about tomorrow I find myself hoping that I'll feel better in the morning. My pain isn't as bad as it was before, days 2 and 3 were the worst. But I think some of the pain I experienced was from the liquid hydrocodone that I was taking, it felt like I was drinking a cup of acid each time I took it. After day 3 I stopped with the hydrocodone and started taking ibuprofen. I can definitely tell a difference. Now most of the pain I am having is ear pain, especially my right ear. And I also have this scratchy feeling. I clear my throat about every 2 minutes. And that's only happening on my left side and has been since I woke up from anesthesia. The most recent issue I find myself having is extreme dry throat and mouth which just started today. I'm not sure why it's happening but it's very painful. I drink plenty of ice water so I know I'm not dehydrated. Maybe it's the temperature of my house. All in all I guess it's been a smooth recovery so far. I don't take pain well so I've been miserable, but thank goodness I haven't had any complications and I wish the same for you all. Good luck!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Raihan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

This is day 2 of my recovery from tonsillectomy. I feel good, feel a bit better than the first day, which was my surgery day. While swallowing of course I am still in pain, but tolerable. Spraying the Difflam spray really is a little hard. I need to open my mouth very big since my tongue is quite big as well. Other than that, thankfully it's good. I have been eating bean curd, plain cold water, porridge and yoghurt.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ashiilove, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I had a tonsillectomy back in 2012. It was a wonderful experience. I woke up in recovery after being put under with general anesthesia and was in a mild amount of pain. The coating at the back of my throat was more annoying than the pain. I instantly asked for water, in the midst of still waking up and had 4 glasses within 20 minutes. I was wheeled out of recovery 30 minutes post operation, in which I continued to drink fluids, suck on ice blocks and keep my pain medications up to date. Within 9 hours I was offered an early discharge as I was recovering well. By day 2 I decided that I would try and eat, so I had a roast dinner of all things. It took me approximately 40 minutes to eat, with some pain (nowhere near as bad as tonsillitis). By day 5 I was no longer on pain medication and felt almost 100 percent. I do not regret getting the operation done and I cannot stress how important it is to keep drinking to aid in recovery!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am on day 5 of my tonsillectomy recovery. I had to be kept overnight after the surgery due to extreme vomiting from the anesthesia. Early morning of day 3, I woke up with the worst sore throat of my life! It felt like I had swallowed razor blades and molten lava at the same time. Because of multiple allergies, the only pain medication available for me is Tylenol. The pain became manageable and I thought I was over a hurdle. Then, on day 4, I awoke to extreme pain in my jaw. My husband told me that the surgeon said that my jaws don't open very wide so he had to do a lot of manipulating the jaw. Yesterday was actually a pretty good day except for the appearance of diarrhea. You know, liquid in equals liquid out! Pain was very low and manageable. Then this morning, I awoke to more throat pain and the most ungodly, awful taste imaginable in my mouth! It literally tastes like something died in my mouth. I have my follow-up appointment with my surgeon today. My main concerns right now are the fact that I have diarrhea, the awful taste in my mouth, and that the left side of my tongue is numb.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Nicholas C., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I am just now on day 5 after tonsillectomy and it is still pretty rough. I expected this not to be nearly as bad. I had my septum done at the same time. The first few days were the worst, sore throat every time I would swallow and I wasn't actually able to swallow on day 1. My uvula is probably 8 times its normal size. Narcotics didn't appear to bring my any relief. I was in the hospital for a few days. I expected to be further along at this point. I am craving food but pain makes that not as much of a priority. Tylenol helps some but it doesn't last quite long enough. I can't apply any pressure on the outside of my nose at all yet as it causes a lot of pain just trying to clean. I took 2 weeks off work and I think I will need at least that at this point.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: litalben, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I am a 25 year old female and after suffering from tonsillitis and tonsil stones for years, my ENT finally decided I should have tonsillectomy. So on Thursday (3 days ago) I went in to the procedure. At first I was very scared because some of the articles I read from other people about their surgery made it sound like the most horrific experience in the world so I went in expecting the worst but hoping for the best. I had an outpatient procedure done, I went to the hospital at 6 am, my procedure was at 8 am, and by 11 am I woke up from the anesthesia. The nurse gave me some ice chips and Jell-O and told me once I urinate I will be discharged. By 1 pm I was already at home. My ENT prescribed me Percocet which was helpful at first. Day 1 the pain was very bearable, as I was still drugged out from what they gave me through the IV at the hospital and I was taking Percocet every 4 hours for pain. I wish they would have given it to me in a liquid form because the pills are huge, but I have been taking them because it really does help. Day 2 was very hard for me, I was very hungry and it hurts really bad to swallow. I drank a lot of water, it is very important to stay hydrated much as it hurts to swallow. I found that drinking lukewarm soup with some pieces of bread made me full a bit, I was also eating Italian ices and non-dairy popsicles although I craved food more than anything. I also found that eating eggs was easy since it is soft. Most of the people in the reviews I read weren't eating anything. By day 2 I was eating mashed vegetables with small pieces of chicken. I am on day 3 and today I found that I am having an allergic reaction to the Percocet so my whole body is itching but my doctor said to take some Benadryl and it will help. Today I had some ear aches but the pills work. Drink a lot of water because that's what is going to help you heal. Also chewing gum hurts but it helps. I am eating a tuna sandwich as we speak. I am hoping that by day 5 I will be back to normal. Hope this helps.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: VicVic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 48 years old and had a tonsillectomy due to chronic throat infections I have been having for the past few years. My ENT doctor warned me that this was not an easy procedure for an adult and I was going to feel miserable. I didn't really think much of his warning as I kept thinking, I am sure the pain medication will help me through the procedure. Oh, how I was so wrong! The first few days were ok, as the medicines they used for the surgery seemed to help me get through swallowing soft foods and water. I was also given liquid Tylenol 3 with codeine for the pain. Once the pain medication from the surgery started wearing off, that was when everything started going downhill. The liquid Tylenol 3 did not help much with managing the pain. The ENT nurse said I could mix it with Motrin. I used the children's liquid Motrin formula. I was so nauseated from the mixture of the pain medication, that I started to break out into a cold sweat and almost passed out. Then to make it worse, the medicines started giving me awful anxiety where I wanted to jump out of my skin and I started going through a panic attack because I thought I wasn't getting enough air. I ended up on day 6, after my surgery, in the emergency room (ER) for dehydration, throat and ear throbbing pain. The IV that was given to me at the hospital contained liquids for my dehydration, cortisone for swelling and medication for pain. I felt wonderful when the drugs started kicking in, however 6 hours after I was given the IV, I developed severe anxiety again from the medicines. I took a prescribed anti-anxiety pill that took away my anxiety and helped me sleep for a few hours. I was then told by the ENT nurse to take 1000 mg extra strength Tylenol and then 600 mg Motrin to help with the pain. The Tylenol needed to be taken 4 to 6 hours apart and the Motrin could be taken 2 hours after I took the Tylenol to help with the swelling. I have been doing this for 3 days and I it has helped me manage the pain. Drinking liquids has been such a challenge as my salvia is so thick that I feel like I am drowning every time I swallow. I found it to be helpful to breathe in to inhale the water and breathe out when drinking the water to avoid the drowning feeling. Stay away from any milk product as it makes your salvia more thick. Some people have mentioned that anything cold has helped with the pain when swallowing. Anytime I drank or ate something cold, I felt agonizing pain even with the medicines. Anything room temperature helped me. My go to foods are creamy macaroni and cheese and scrambled eggs. Lastly, I was constipated for 5 days due to the medication. You need to take some type of liquid fiber to help with the constipation. I am on day 9 now from my surgery. I am really not feeling any better. I only had one surgery prior to my tonsillectomy and it was a C-section when I had my first child. A tonsillectomy is 10 times worse than a C-section.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: EJB312, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I'm 30 years old and on day 8 of recovery from tonsillectomy. Today I feel amazing. I have not used any pain medication today. It just feels like a sore throat from a cold. Day 3 was the hardest for pain, it was very painful to do any swallowing. It overall is just like having a bad case of strep throat. I've been able to talk pretty normally throughout the recovery and coughing and sneezing are nothing to be scared of. Yawning is actually the most painful thing. I could describe the pain as being like when you are all choked up and trying not to cry, but slightly stronger. It wasn't too bad. I could do it again if I had to, and I managed to take care of my 3 young children during the healing process.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: No ibuprofen, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My daughter recently had a tonsillectomy and the pain was unbearable for her. She made the mistake of going to the emergency room (ER) on the seventh day because the ear pain was off the charts. They told her to take Ibuprofen 800 mg and within 5 days she was vomiting blood and had to have her rushed to the ER. She had to have her throat cauterized to stop the bleeding without anesthesia; and had to go back to day one. She lost over 12 lb. and was terrified to even cough.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: pam, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My 26 year old daughter had her tonsils out 11 weeks ago. She had horrible throat and ear pain for at least 6 weeks after surgery. She is still not able to eat anything but soup, Jell-O, yogurt, whipped potatoes. She has lost 20 plus pounds. She feels like she is choking and her throat is closing in when she attempts to swallow anything else. It is hard for her to even drink water normally. They are now saying it may be reflux. She has no heart burn or other symptoms of reflux. I am afraid that something was damaged during surgery.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: S, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

On 11/2 I had a tonsillectomy and it is now 17/2. Since my surgery I've had no serious pain however on 16/2 I had to return to the emergency department of the hospital because my throat had been bleeding fresh blood. After 5 days, it is normal for a few streaks of old blood in your saliva. But mine was fresh, there wasn't much until I had got to the hospital and it would not stop bleeding. I had to gargle peroxide until my saliva was clear. They gave me a blood test and put me on a cannula. I had to stay at hospital that night in case the bleeding reoccurred and if it did I would go straight back to theatre. Last night was the first night I actually got any sleep. I'm feeling fine and the blood has stopped but there is still a chance it may happen again. Last night I woke up with a strange feeling in my throat and I think it is the feeling of scabs. I cannot open my mouth wide enough to see my tonsils yet. I've started to eat thicker foods. I feel as though I'm starting to heal.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Beatlenut, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

As I type, I'm currently on post-operation day 6 from tonsillectomy, septoplasty, turbinate reduction, excision of right concha bullosa and functional endoscopy of ethmoid/frontal/maxillary sinuses. Yes, I'm well aware that that is a lot of work done, as everyone seems to point out to me, although I have suffered from chronic sinusitis, tonsillitis and strep throat for years. During my first visit to the ENT, he ordered a CT of my sinuses and found the deviated septum, concha bullosa and the simple fact that all sinuses were obstructed and not draining. I also had cyst and stones in both tonsils. My ENT said I will benefit from surgeries, and I opted to get it all done. On 2/11/2015 at 10:00 am, the surgery was done. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Recovery was a little longer since I was acting a little wacky, although I was home by 6:00 pm. The first day went well. I had anti-emetic medications (and the patch from surgery) along with liquid Norco. I was numb and feeling no pain. Day 3, I needed to add the viscous lidocaine, which helped numb the throat in order to swallow pain medication and ice cream. My best friend through all this, was ice chips. I can't give enough praise for ice chips! They help to numb, soothe and hydrate! Drinking water and sucking on ice chips is a must! Post-operation day 5, I had the nasal stents removed. It was great to have these out. They came out smoothly, as I had been rinsing 2 or 3 times day with saline spray. The only downfall was, just by going to the doctor, I was worn out and became nauseated from the drive. Also I missed my pain medication and the severe pain hit which is difficult to catch up to, once you get behind. Then late that night, frequent explosive diarrhea hit. Now on day 6. Pain has lessened and loose stools were slowed with eating yogurt. The scabs are intact, my throat is sore and the pain medication takes the edge off. The ear pain is setting in big time now and is worse in my left ear than the right. I also noticed that the left side was cauterized more than the right. Gum chewing does help with the ear pain. So, if you take anything away from this, it would be, hydrate often (ice chips feels the best), yogurt helps put the good bacteria back into your gut that the antibiotics take out, cold/frozen drinks are the best, don't push solid foods and chewing gum helps ear pain. And most of all take the time off work and rest! I'm taking 3 weeks off. I want to really do that right thing! I plan to post more, as I heal.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: maroongoon, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I'm 27 and just had my tonsils taken out. Honestly, I thought it was going to be way worse due to the horror stories I've heard. I got mine out because of tonsil stones and would do it again in a heartbeat. Stick to the pain medicines and avoid cold food like ice cream. Stick with yogurt and medium temperature soups. Day 5 and 6 are the worst, and my stitches came out on day 8. I had a lot of bleeding when they came out, but it eventually stopped after 10 minutes. I was about 95 percent pain free after two weeks.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Briannalynn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I am 20 years old my birthday is in June. I had a tonsillectomy yesterday. So this is only my second day recovering. After surgery when I was waking up from the anesthesia was probably the worst part of the whole experience. I was in a lot of pain and I felt a little nauseous. When I got home I lay on the couch and tried to fall asleep. I immediately took the pain medicine. I was only drinking water and Gatorade. About 2 hours after I got home I had mashed potatoes warmed up and made them a little soupy. It felt wonderful to finally get something in my stomach and it didn't really hurt going down my throat. The sleeping part of the first day was terrible. I got maybe a total of 2 full hours. Every time I tried to lay down and sleep with my mouth closed I would wake myself up choking because I couldn't swallow right. But if I had my mouth open while asleep I would wake myself up snoring. Either way it was a lose-lose situation. Now on day 2 I mostly have been eating mashed potatoes. I take my medicine pills smashed with applesauce and have been drinking a lot of water and Gatorade. I did take a chance with ice cream. I was nervous because I didn't want it to coat my throat but it isn't that bad. Later today I am going to try macaroni and cheese and hopefully that will go well. For the pain, as long as I'm taking the medicines about 30 to 45 minutes before it wears off I can tolerate it. Good luck to anyone that gets the surgery done. It isn't as bad as I personally thought and I am terrible with pain tolerance. (I passed out getting my cartilage pierced when I was younger.) Good Luck!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: aml211, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I am a 20 year old who got her tonsils out 7 days ago! I would say days 4 to 7 were/are the worst. Day 1 and 2 were great because I think I was so doped up on medicine and I didn't start eating till day two. I had a smoothie, lots of ice, popsicles and apple sauce. Day three went the same except I added in some goldfish crackers and then some clear cold fish broth. Day 4 I started to eat things like egg whites and mashed potatoes. Day 5 I had a wet burrito and some beans and rice. Day 7 I started eating soft dumplings and pastries and bread. But the pain and nausea were most intense on day 6. Day 7 my ears are super painful; it's really painful to swallow because of my ear ache. Also I think because my left tonsil was always bigger than the right one my left tonsil has a lot more sensitivity and hurts more when I swallow. Other than that, just drink lots of water. Keep your humidifier on and get ready to be a bit depressed/down for the next few days because it's a rough lonely road for a while.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Jeremy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I'm sure many who are about to have their tonsillectomy procedure are nervous enough, let alone being scared further. Still, it would be misleading to tell them that everything post operation is hunky-dory. I got mine out last February and it was not fun. I can describe the pain in the first few days only as akin to having strep throat. My breath was rank from the scabs forming in my throat, and drinking water was a chore, though it helped. Only after the scabs fell off around day 10 did the pain decrease significantly. The soreness remained for about three-weeks afterward. If you eat any dairy post operation, eat rainbow sherbet. Ice cream is still fine in moderation, but in excess will form a film in your throat and make your breath stink even worse. Plus, it doesn't do any favors to your already sore throat. Fruit ice-pops and Jell-O are the best way to go. Again, water is your best friend, despite the extreme soreness while drinking it. Use a straw. It helps. Be prepared to spend 5 to 7 days at home. Watch TV, play video games, chat on Facebook, etc. Take a nice hot bath. Drink virgin daiquiris. Pamper yourself. You are entitled to at least a week's worth of rest and recuperation considering the procedure you have had. In fact, it's imperative that you relax. You may not feel much improvement, but it will speed up healing and the ordeal will be a lot easier to get through.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am a 41 year old female and this is day two of tonsillectomy. I referenced this site, multiple times, before my surgery so I wanted to leave feedback that may be helpful to someone preparing for surgery. My tonsillectomy was related to chronic tonsillitis/tonsil stones. Everything I read sounded horrific. Here is my experience in a nutshell. I checked in at 7:30 am, surgery at 8:30, out of recovery and home by 11:30. Day 1, I was prescribed 20 ml acetaminophen/hydrocodone every six hours for pain and penicillin 3 times a day to prevent infection. I started drinking water from the time I got home and I basically sipped water every two hours and more when the pain medicine was in full effect. I haven't stopped fluids. I found sports drinks and juice to be more irritating to my throat so opted for water, Popsicle (melt in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds makes a slush), sherbet and pudding. I was prepared for all the worst pain I read about, sharp pains in my ears, exploding head, etc. I have been fortunate in that my pain has remained in my throat, albeit, very sharp at times, bearable but not fun. My doctor said if I pushed heavy fluids and took the medicine around the clock as prescribed, I would most likely avoid the worst symptoms. I did not have any nausea or vomiting with anesthesia side effect. But when I woke up from surgery my throat was 10+/10 sore. The nurse gave me oral and IV pain medicines and that level of pain has not returned as of yet. It is the evening of day 2 of my surgery now. My throat vacillates between a 6 and 8 on 10 in pain, 10 being the worst. It starts to creep near 8 when I am an hour or so out from taking my next dose of pain medicine. I am sipping about 64 ounces of water per day with Jell-O, ice cream, and pudding, and today I had room temperature chicken broth, all in small servings (3/4-1 cup) at a time. I am still very tired. Also, I have slept upright/inclined with pillows on the couch since I have been home and I have worn an ice pack (provided by the hospital) around my neck almost nonstop. It is not that cold but it keeps my neck cool and I have read it helps with swelling. I thought this experience would be a nightmare while I would not wish it on anyone else or volunteer to do it again. Bearing in mind everyone has a different experience it has been bearable for the first two days.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: StillHurting, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I had my tonsillectomy surgery done ten days ago and I'm still in a crazy amount of pain. The first couple of days didn't seem too bad, but starting day 4, the pain because so bad. I took numerous pain medicines, I still wake up in the middle of the night. I'm healthy, not a drinker or a smoker, and the pain is awful. It depends on the person, but going into this, know that it hurts unbearably for about a solid week. Don't bother with any kind of popsicles, most just burn. What I found helped the most was frozen Gatorade crushed up. Because I wasn't eating for those days I needed calories and Gatorade seemed to help. Also, ice chips and Jell-O. It's still hard to swallow and I'm hoping that it will only get better considering it is the holiday season. Good luck to anyone getting this done and I hope your post-operative recovery goes better than mine!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ErinH, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am currently on day 5 (5:30 am) and the worst pain I have experienced so far was when I woke up in the middle of the night. I had shooting pain both through my neck, in my jaw, facial muscles, and even my tongue hurt. It was a struggle to swallow water and my liquid pain medicines. I've heard mixed things saying days 3 to 5 are the worst, so hopefully this is as bad as it will get. Applesauce has been my best friend the past few days.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sore throat 66, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I am a 22 year old male who had my tonsils removed recently. I am on day 4 after surgery. After the procedure I felt good. As time went by the anesthesia wore off. By day 2 I had a fever over 102 and could not swallow. I went to the emergency room and I was found to be dehydrated. They gave me fluids and sent me home. Day 3, I was eating and starting to feel better. I woke up day 4 and am sorer than I have been the whole time. I don't know what's going to happen but I feel like there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Shianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a ton of anxiety before my tonsillectomy. I have never had a surgery before. So I didn't know what to expect. I have to say it was a lot better an experience than I had imagined and worked myself up for. For instance, reading other people's experiences the night before your operation is a big no-no! So stop it and breathe! I woke up and felt a little nauseous. That was due to the anesthesia. They gave me something for that and something for pain. You start to feel better once the anesthesia starts to wear off a bit. It's like taking a sleeping pill and then not getting enough sleep to sleep it off. But once you wake up you are fine. The pain is awful. But it is not so bad that it should scare you. They will give you something for the pain. Set a timer and take what they give you. Although you might want to consider taking a little less of it at first. They told me 3 teaspoons of the Lortab. I ended up only needing 1 1/2 teaspoon at a time. That worked perfect for the pain and didn't make me feel all funny and dizzy. I never threw up and I never bled. The worst thing about this surgery is not being able to eat. I am so hungry! I even have 4 kids home with me and I still managed. So if you are reading this pre operation, then just know you will be just fine! They will take good care of you. Talk to them. No question is stupid at all. I have the biggest anxiety problem and I look back on it like, eh. I was fine. Plus you will feel so much better without those icky tonsils. Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Clara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my tonsils removed on 12/11. This is post-operation day 4 and I'm feeling terrible. Keep in mind everybody has different pain tolerance and the younger you are the faster you recover. I'm 29 and I thought I had a very high pain tolerance, or at least decent, but this has kicked me. The first two days were a piece of cake, I even ate macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and my appetite was great. The day after surgery I was talking and going up and down the house like nothing. Do not do this! I ended up paying the price the following days. Even if you feel like you can do so many things, take it easy. Lay in bed. I have a 4 year old who doesn't quite understand and wants you to play with him at all times. I felt like I had to run around with him, clean the house and do all the things us mothers do but you better calm down and let your husband, neighbor, friends or family help you. Besides a very sore throat, my jaw hurts to the point I'm not able to fully open my mouth and my tongue hurts like I've been chewing on it. On top of all that, it feels like I have a dead skunk inside my mouth. The doctor gave me Lortab and told me to 'take it round the clock', which I have been doing. He also gave me tetracaine lollipops which help numb my throat, and amoxicillin. I've added a stool softener to my pill collection since the Lortab is been giving the most horrible constipation I've ever had. I called my doctor today since I was expecting to be feeling better by now. He said it was normal to still feel ill for about 6 days. He also said today or tomorrow would probably be the worst day. I guess one good thing is I haven't been bleeding or running a fever. I've been drinking lots of water and Jell-O and ice cream. I'm eating papaya and prune juice for constipation. I think all I need at this point is lots of patience.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Leigh, (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 30 years old and I had my tonsils removed on a Monday. I'm currently in recovery and it is Friday. Yesterday was the worst for me. The back of my tongue hurt so bad, it felt as if my tongue had been sutured and it came loose. It's probably the scabs but the feeling was sharp and it was hard to swallow; I had to use pain medicines plus the numbing lollipops. That's only the worst of mine. I have managed with protein shakes, blueberry applesauce since blueberries are a natural anti-inflammatory. I also had cream of chicken soup, and I ate gelato ice cream as it is much smoother. For me the smoother and thicker eases my throat. Broth irritated it because of too much salt. I also bought Benefiber, and vitamin C drink mixes of 1000 mg vitamin C because it helps skin heal. I also took vitamin B one week prior to surgery to get my immune system up. These all have helped my recovery. I've been taking it easy, and having someone to help you really pays off. Just stay hydrated mainly because the scab can't get dry. Also I used salt water to clean my mouth after every meal and prior to brushing teeth. The best time especially is after shower because your throat is open and the salt water really cleanses it. I just tilted my head side to side and when putting my head back to bathe my throat, I used my hand for support on my neck. These are all things that did wonders for me and has made my recovery smoother. I hope this helps you in yours. My advice is to listen to your body and do not overdo it. That is when you'll get nauseous, and while riding in car. Feel better!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I had tonsillectomy on 11/14; I am 25 years old. Day one wasn't so bad I slept most the day. Day 2 hurt and called my ENT and asked for stronger medicine (Percocet) because the pain was pretty bad. I have a high tolerance, it didn't really bother me. Days 3 to 5 were the worst days as in scabs falling off and couldn't eat really, I ate crackers and I was fine. Day 6 I had peanut butter jam sandwich, very small bites, and pain was almost gone. Day 7 to 10 I was back to eating whatever I wanted, didn't need medicine. Today is day 11 and I have zero pain. I actually had a grilled chicken sandwich. I went back to work on day 10 and I am having no issues there. I'm sorry for all the horror stories, my surgeon did a great job. I say eat Ritz crackers and drink water for the 3 to 4 days and it just clears right up. My daughter had it the same day as well and she was eating normal by day 7. Good luck!

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors