Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Shianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a ton of anxiety before my tonsillectomy. I have never had a surgery before. So I didn't know what to expect. I have to say it was a lot better an experience than I had imagined and worked myself up for. For instance, reading other people's experiences the night before your operation is a big no-no! So stop it and breathe! I woke up and felt a little nauseous. That was due to the anesthesia. They gave me something for that and something for pain. You start to feel better once the anesthesia starts to wear off a bit. It's like taking a sleeping pill and then not getting enough sleep to sleep it off. But once you wake up you are fine. The pain is awful. But it is not so bad that it should scare you. They will give you something for the pain. Set a timer and take what they give you. Although you might want to consider taking a little less of it at first. They told me 3 teaspoons of the Lortab. I ended up only needing 1 1/2 teaspoon at a time. That worked perfect for the pain and didn't make me feel all funny and dizzy. I never threw up and I never bled. The worst thing about this surgery is not being able to eat. I am so hungry! I even have 4 kids home with me and I still managed. So if you are reading this pre operation, then just know you will be just fine! They will take good care of you. Talk to them. No question is stupid at all. I have the biggest anxiety problem and I look back on it like, eh. I was fine. Plus you will feel so much better without those icky tonsils. Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Comment from: Clara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my tonsils removed on 12/11. This is post-operation day 4 and I'm feeling terrible. Keep in mind everybody has different pain tolerance and the younger you are the faster you recover. I'm 29 and I thought I had a very high pain tolerance, or at least decent, but this has kicked me. The first two days were a piece of cake, I even ate macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and my appetite was great. The day after surgery I was talking and going up and down the house like nothing. Do not do this! I ended up paying the price the following days. Even if you feel like you can do so many things, take it easy. Lay in bed. I have a 4 year old who doesn't quite understand and wants you to play with him at all times. I felt like I had to run around with him, clean the house and do all the things us mothers do but you better calm down and let your husband, neighbor, friends or family help you. Besides a very sore throat, my jaw hurts to the point I'm not able to fully open my mouth and my tongue hurts like I've been chewing on it. On top of all that, it feels like I have a dead skunk inside my mouth. The doctor gave me Lortab and told me to 'take it round the clock', which I have been doing. He also gave me tetracaine lollipops which help numb my throat, and amoxicillin. I've added a stool softener to my pill collection since the Lortab is been giving the most horrible constipation I've ever had. I called my doctor today since I was expecting to be feeling better by now. He said it was normal to still feel ill for about 6 days. He also said today or tomorrow would probably be the worst day. I guess one good thing is I haven't been bleeding or running a fever. I've been drinking lots of water and Jell-O and ice cream. I'm eating papaya and prune juice for constipation. I think all I need at this point is lots of patience.

Comment from: Leigh, (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 30 years old and I had my tonsils removed on a Monday. I'm currently in recovery and it is Friday. Yesterday was the worst for me. The back of my tongue hurt so bad, it felt as if my tongue had been sutured and it came loose. It's probably the scabs but the feeling was sharp and it was hard to swallow; I had to use pain medicines plus the numbing lollipops. That's only the worst of mine. I have managed with protein shakes, blueberry applesauce since blueberries are a natural anti-inflammatory. I also had cream of chicken soup, and I ate gelato ice cream as it is much smoother. For me the smoother and thicker eases my throat. Broth irritated it because of too much salt. I also bought Benefiber, and vitamin C drink mixes of 1000 mg vitamin C because it helps skin heal. I also took vitamin B one week prior to surgery to get my immune system up. These all have helped my recovery. I've been taking it easy, and having someone to help you really pays off. Just stay hydrated mainly because the scab can't get dry. Also I used salt water to clean my mouth after every meal and prior to brushing teeth. The best time especially is after shower because your throat is open and the salt water really cleanses it. I just tilted my head side to side and when putting my head back to bathe my throat, I used my hand for support on my neck. These are all things that did wonders for me and has made my recovery smoother. I hope this helps you in yours. My advice is to listen to your body and do not overdo it. That is when you'll get nauseous, and while riding in car. Feel better!

Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I had tonsillectomy on 11/14; I am 25 years old. Day one wasn't so bad I slept most the day. Day 2 hurt and called my ENT and asked for stronger medicine (Percocet) because the pain was pretty bad. I have a high tolerance, it didn't really bother me. Days 3 to 5 were the worst days as in scabs falling off and couldn't eat really, I ate crackers and I was fine. Day 6 I had peanut butter jam sandwich, very small bites, and pain was almost gone. Day 7 to 10 I was back to eating whatever I wanted, didn't need medicine. Today is day 11 and I have zero pain. I actually had a grilled chicken sandwich. I went back to work on day 10 and I am having no issues there. I'm sorry for all the horror stories, my surgeon did a great job. I say eat Ritz crackers and drink water for the 3 to 4 days and it just clears right up. My daughter had it the same day as well and she was eating normal by day 7. Good luck!

Comment from: annagracefleet, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

This tonsillectomy was my first surgery. Let me say one thing. The recovery is terrible! I have never been in more pain as far as orally goes. It is Saturday. I went through the procedure on Thursday morning. Thursday was spent mostly on sleeping. Friday I had a few visitors but mostly slept. Both days my pain was moderate. Today (Saturday) I woke up with severe throat pain. Very, very painful. Felt as if someone had cut me multiple times with a machete. I took two of my pain medicine and ate some ice cream and watched some TV. I eventually fell asleep around 3 pm and did not wake back up until 7:30. My pain was worse than before. (I did not think this was possible). I took my pain medicine with water and this was almost impossible to get down. I used the restroom and it was clear by the color of my urine that I was dehydrated so I forced myself to drink some Gatorade; very painful. I am hoping that I will soon feel better. Day by day the pain seems to almost be getting worse.

Comment from: loric, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am currently on day 10 (counting surgery as day 1) and I have been miserable! I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but some days/moments it does not feel that way. I was very easily able to talk for the first few days after my surgery with minimal pain. Now it kills me to talk unless my medicine has recently kicked in. I have had to maintain the 4 hour medicine schedule very closely in order to not rip my head and throat off, which is very unusual for me! Even after having a C section or my spleen removed, I was not on pain medicine around the clock and definitely not by day 10! I am still unable to really eat anything because I end up with pain 10 out of 10 (even with medication) with everything I swallow. Every food I have tried (including mashed potatoes and ice cream) cause a severe burning and pain. Food and liquids often feel as though they get stuck in the surgical areas. And now every time I sleep, I end up struggling to breathe at some point (with no previous history of sleep apnea). I don't know me what I am doing wrong or what I can do to make this any better!

Comment from: Americanalex, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on October 10th. It is now October 28th, so about 3 weeks after surgery. Before I begin I just want to say, do not listen to the horror stories that other people have shared because it is not as bad as some of the stories that you will read. I had my surgery on a Friday and by Tuesday I was out and about. Listen to your doctor, take your medicine as the label says and don't wait any longer then it says to take it. Keep your head busy and surround yourself by things you enjoy and you will be okay! I was freaking out before my surgery after reading all of the horror stories, and it was nothing like the other stories. Force yourself to eat and drink. I know it's difficult but it helps with the recovery and speeds it up. I went through about 5 to 6 boxes of Italian ice and they actually felt very soothing when eating them. My diet consisted of Italian ice, pudding, broccoli cheddar soup, Gatorade, water and ginger ale. The mornings suck because your mouth is so dry, but suck it up and take your medicine, get a drink that you enjoy and get something cold to eat. Ten to twenty minutes later after the medicine kicks in, you'll be ready for anything! My doctor gave me liquid hydrocodone, a liquid antibiotic (it soothed my throat and felt incredible after I took it) an anti-nausea medicine that at first I would crush up and eat with pudding, and a numbing medication that numbed my whole mouth (do not eat or drink after taking it because you will choke). Just sit back, watch some movies and relax, you will be fine! I hope this helps!

Comment from: thewoodenboy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a standard tonsillectomy yesterday morning at 10 am. My doctor did the traditional procedure and had warned me of the pain and the need for a caretaker for the first few days. Here I am, less than 24 hours out and I feel that the pain is there, somewhat tolerable, until I try to drink anything. The only thing that seems to go down remotely easily is taking a spoonful of Jell-O, mashing it around in my mouth for a bit and then swallowing. I haven't tried ice cream yet as I'm nervous (as I see some people have mentioned here) about getting phlegmy and having to cough up stuff. At this point my concern is not being able to drink anything. Will keep you updated as this progresses.

Comment from: porsche1024, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Well, I was fighting tonsillitis for a year. I was on antibiotics all the time and now I am allergic to penicillin. I finally had them out in June so now it's October and I'm still trying to get my immune system back to what it is supposed to be. I had my tonsils out in the hospital and they gave me Graham crackers and Gatorade right away to see if I could swallow. I thought great, it all went down fine! Well then the medicines they gave me wore off and I could not drink or eat as they wanted me to. My throat was terribly sore and I didn't think I could swallow. I know they said drink water, and Gatorade seems to burn my throat. Doctor gave me Percocet which is the best liquid pain relief. I ran out soon, so I called for a refill to find out doctor had gone on vacation so his partner gave me oxycodone liquid which burns and did not relieve the pain. On day 4, a vein in my throat busted after a nap (you do want to sleep a lot). Now I know it was due to not drinking enough. I had blood oozing down my throat and out of my mouth, too scary. I went to the hospital by ambulance and it let up by the time I got there and happened again there. The doctor on call said I would be fine and sent me home. I thought I'm 65 years old and I will bleed to death if it happens again. My doctor was gone so I was lost. Well, it did not happen again thank goodness. I would say now not drinking enough must have been it. I do feel a lot better now and 50 pounds lighter because I couldn't eat much for 6 months. Now I eat everything. I think I killed my tonsils by chewing too much gum. Sugar is a bad thing for tonsils. A health food store worker told me this! I still love my gum but now I'm careful and I'm diabetic shouldn't have been chewing anyway! I hope this helps the older folks that have to have the tonsils out. Just keep drinking. That's the key. I had a great doctor. Good Luck!

Comment from: themattbrown20, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

I wasn't aware of the pain and I wasn't told. Today is the end of day 4 after my tonsillectomy and it is midnight. I bled very slightly a few minutes ago, but nothing to be worried about. My tongue is numb in the back on both sides. I didn't realize I would have to deal with these disgusting scabs. I am usually a no pain no gain kind of person. This is by far the worst pain I have lived through. Day 1 (day after surgery) was decent. Then day 2 came holding hands with vomit. I couldn't keep any substance down. Over and over I threw up. I tried to sleep through the day, but would awake with projectile vomit. Day 3 and 4 were a tad more manageable. Those days I gargled salt water every 4 hours. I spit up excess scab. I took medicine and chewed on ice from sonic. Rested with ice on my neck. All this made it tolerable. I'm afraid to sleep tonight because I awake every 3 hours in horrible pain. Sleep seems to be my arch villain. I am angry I wasn't prepared for this. It came upon me as a shock and I feel hopeless. People talk of a 20 day recovery and I am just starting the 5th. I pity any soul that has this procedure done. Do your research before you make the decision. I hate this.

Comment from: caitlynforkz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

On Wednesday September 24, I had my tonsillectomy. I'm 22 years old and was told this was going to be the worst day/time ever but it was totally going to be worth it. I was told numerous things like 'keep your stitches moist', 'I woke up feeling like I was choking', and 'I couldn't stop vomiting'. So with all these 'helpful' tips from people who have had this done I prepared myself for quite possibly the most pain that I will ever feel. During recovery I finally woke up, did I feel like I was choking? Nope. Did it hurt? A little. A few hours after surgery I was asked to rate my pain from 1-10 and I said it was about a 3. Yes, it was sore, but I've had a sore throat almost the same as this, it was tolerable. Swallowing things sucked yes, but push through it, it only hurts for a second. Sleeping was probably the worst of it, sleep at a 30 degree angle and you'll be laughing, you don't wake up feeling like you swallowed your tongue; and I actually had a pretty decent sleep my first night. Day two, they say it gets worse. Has it? No. Yeah it's still sore but I have eaten applesauce, popsicles, chicken noodle soup and lots of water, just sip it. I haven't got sick yet. Take your medication, crush it up and stick it into your applesauce, does it taste nasty? Of course. But it makes you feel better afterwards. I can't wait to try ice cream.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Ouch! Tonsillectomy is a difficult surgery for myself, I must say. I am 45 years old and just had my tonsils removed on 08/11. The actual procedure was fine and I went home and was fine really. Tired, but fine. And day 2 was okay also. The hard times hit on day days 3 and 4. Horrible pain... I just lay in bed and cried for 2 days straight. My ears hurt, my tongue was so painful, even my teeth hurt. Couldn't eat, drink, talk or sleep. Everything hurt! I lost about 10 lb. total since the procedure - all I could tolerate was ice chips. I also had a terrible case of thrush that I am still dealing with. After 3 weeks, I can finally say that I am feeling better. I can eat finally and am off all of my pain medications. I am glad that I had the procedure but very thankful that the whole thing is almost over! Good luck!

Comment from: vocalmajor, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 21 year old female and I am on day 11 of my tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Reason for the surgery was I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in May which caused my tonsils to flare up, and they never returned to their natural size. My adenoids were considered to be abnormally large which caused breathing issues. I had my surgery in the afternoon and while in recovery I coughed and that created a nose bleed. I was then admitted to the hospital overnight for observation. I was released the next afternoon where I spent the next 4 days resting, thank goodness for my loving family who was home taking care of me. I ended up getting sick from the pain medicine that was prescribed to me, due to lack of food I was able to consume. (Throwing up after surgery is not fun at all.) Day 4 was the worst day for me, I couldn't eat, sleep or do anything because of the nausea I was experiencing. After a rough night of tossing and turning I woke up on day 5 and felt much better. I was able to eat a little bit of cooked pasta with butter. Food had a nasty taste, pasta made my tongue feel numb. Swallowing became easier everyday but was still very, very painful. I have been hydrating with Gatorade instead of water because I need the electrolytes and water seems to leave a terrible after taste in my mouth (because of the scabs). Sleeping with ice packs on my neck seemed to help immensely. I also suggest sleeping with a cough drop in your mouth at night so that your mouth doesn't dry up. I am hoping that I will be able to eat normal, crunchy food soon instead of just soft foods. I have lost 10 pounds since surgery and I am craving all of my favorite spicy, crunchy foods. Overall, I know that the surgery will be worth it but it truly is a painful recovery, especially as an adult.

Comment from: cra2, (Patient) Published: August 22

I am an adult in my early 40s. I had my tonsils taken out yesterday morning. In the recovery room I was still under the effects of the nausea/pain medicines the doctor used. So I just felt a little weak which they said was probably from the anesthetic. Anyway, I started on ice and water immediately and never stopped sipping right up till bedtime. I was feeling fine by yesterday afternoon on simple Tylenol and started drinking broth, apple juice and even apple sauce. Sleep wasn't good last night, felt like I kept getting heartburn. I don't know if it's from the blood in my belly or the lack of food or what. I tried sleeping on an incline. I tried some Pepto-Bismol. Didn't help. So I got cruddy sleep last night. Today, however, I feel even better. The pain's only that of a sore throat and even then only when I swallow. I don't have any other symptoms and I'm up and about doing chores, etc. (but nothing too strenuous). I'll probably just pop some more Tylenol before bedtime to make sure the swallowing doesn't keep me up any more than necessary at night. I keep hearing that this is just the calm before the storm and that in the next few days it will actually get worse. Gosh I hope not - it's been easy so far.

Comment from: TonsillessGenessa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I am a 24 year old female who just underwent a tonsillectomy on Friday evening last week (today is Wednesday so I'm in day 5). Surgery was ok. Between the anesthesia and calming medication it was over fast- surgeon said it took him 5 minutes. I had them cauterized out, so there was no bleeding at all. I drank a Gatorade and had an Otter Pop after surgery, and got a pudding down later that evening. I wasn't feeling sick until after the pudding when I projectile vomited red Gatorade onto my mom's carpet (not my proudest moment). I even had the anesthesiologist put anti-nausea medication in my IV, but I guess it didn't take as well. I slept with head elevated and frozen peas on my neck. I woke up still feeling ok; sore and feels like you have something stuck in your throat but it's all fine because you're on the medicines. I was able to eat apple sauce and 1/2 cup cold macaroni and cheese. I drank tons of fluids. The 2nd day I took a shower (bad idea as it literally drained me of all my energy). I had more macaroni and cheese and cold mashed potatoes, but the pain was starting to set in pretty bad. I was till waking up every 4 hours to take medicines and drink water. Third day wasn't too bad yet either. Maybe it was just the pain medications, but I had some macaroni and cheese and chocolate ice cream, played monopoly, napped a bunch. Around 5 pm that night I started to get really feverish. My ears hurt a lot. I couldn't move, couldn't even swallow my own spit. I slept with ice and head elevated. Fourth day I woke up still out of it. Very dizzy, I kept drinking Gatorade with ice and water. Ice cream and an ice pop were my meal of choice as I could barely move. I couldn't watch TV because my ears were so sensitive. Earache is bad, people, almost worse than the throat. Then you swallow and you're like nope, throat still pretty bad. I switched to children's liquid ibuprofen and I woke up today (Day 5) feeling much better. I actually had a decent sleep too. Mashed potatoes (cold) and ice cream for lunch, just had chopped up noodles with olive oil for dinner. My throat feels chunky and tastes bad, and my ears hurt, but it's tolerable. Actually when I swallow, my tongue and jaw hurt worse than my actual throat (although I have TMJ). I'm still sore but I hear it's good from here on out (until the scabs fall of in 2 days). I still can't talk. This surgery is brutal, but only for about a week. I'm telling you I'm doing ok, so anyone looking to do it: you will too.

Comment from: Cassie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I was expecting this recovery to be absolutely miserable but it's been okay. I had my tonsillectomy on Friday and it's now Tuesday. Apart from having a sore throat, being tired and having tired muscles, I'm not really having any other problems. I was nauseous on Saturday and Sunday and did vomit a couple of times but I've put that down to the pain medications and have stopped taking them for the past two days. I feel much better without the pain medication really. This tonsillectomy recovery is nowhere near as bad as the pain and illness I used to get from having tonsillitis all the time, so far I'm really glad I got them out. I'll write another post up if anything changes but so far this recovery has been fine.

Comment from: NonS, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am a 19 year old female and I am on day 5 of my recovery from tonsillectomy. It has not been easy, worse than expected. When I came round from the surgery I was actually fine, a sore throat but nothing major, I had been given morphine pain killers and sickness injections so I felt fine that day, minimal pain and sickness and actually managed to eat and drink a little. The nurses kept me dosed up with tramadol and I slept through the night fine. So don't be afraid of the actual surgery or the hospital stay; that was the easy bit. The trouble started when I went home the next day and the anesthetic and strong pain killers wore off and left my body. Days 2 to 4 were the worst and I actually fainted from the pain on day 3. One thing you must do is chart your medication, write down what time and what type of painkiller you take and then take them regularly, don't let the pain break through because it is then, as a result, harder to drink and swallow the next lot. Also make sure there is someone there to help you for the first week, luckily I have my mum who was a big help, from waking me up to take medication, charting everything to fetching me ice cold water. Having a hand with little things like that made a big difference. Sleep is also an issue, I could not sleep for longer than 2 hours during the first 5 days due to my throat drying up. So as a result, I slept frequently in the day time, which is fine. Get sleep in whenever you can, regardless of the time of day, it has really helped me. Also there is the obvious water which you need to be drinking constantly to help your throat stay moist and heal. I made the mistake of taking my strong pain killers without eating anything and then spent the morning vomiting, always try and eat, a little bit of toast or soggy cereal I found was okay. I also drank a lot of milk when I couldn't eat because it helped line the stomach for the pain medication. You're going to feel very rough for at least a week, but it will pass, on day 5 I feel that the worst has passed already! Best of luck to everyone.

Comment from: Sydney Tonsils, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I am on day 3 post tonsillectomy. Today has been a step in the right direction with respect to eating. I've eaten an entire bowl of jelly for breakfast and a plate of cold scrambled eggs for dinner. I made sure that I ate these meals after my pain killers had kicked in. I've been attempting to keep my fluids up as best as possible but swallowing can be a pain in the neck at times (excuse the pun). Most other people's blogs on this website state that the worst days for pain start around day three. If anything it's only been getting better for me but I wonder if that is going to change. The only time feel pain setting on is when the pain killers are wearing off and I have to wait till it is time to take my next tablets. Besides that I'm not experiencing any real pain except for when I swallow. I slept on and off for most of the day sitting up in bed with my travel pillow around my neck. I'm quite tired this evening but my body is naturally going through some massive recovery. My wife cooked an amazing dinner for herself tonight and the smells played with my stomach but I think back to my scramble eggs I had for dinner and I felt content. Not much to report today as it's all going really well, no doubt due to the amazing pain killers. So far the trick is to keep on top of the pain killers by setting your alarms to remind you, even if you don't feel the need at that point in time, I suggest you take it. Stay Strong!

Comment from: Tx Horn45, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and surprising, I have had little to no pain in my throat. Day 1 was not, as I had nausea but once day 2 got here and it was gone, I had no problems. The best advice I can give anyone, as I think it greatly helped me, is drink water nonstop once you get home. My mom said I drank like a gallon of water a day with cold ice in it, which probably helped keep the pain away. I also woke up every hour to drink cold water the first two nights so my throat did not dry out. On day 2 I had no problems eating macaroni, cheese and mashed potatoes with gravy, which I was going to wait until day 3 to eat but doctor said if I had no problems swallowing then eat away. I hope everyone's experience is as good as mine, as I have yet to experience the horrible pain other people said they had.

Comment from: Hannahbanana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had been reading everyone's stories here before my surgery to prepare me, so now here's mine. Today is day 8 for me (including operation day). The first day of my surgery, I immediately starting drinking a vitamin water when I got home. Pain was minimal, just a slight sore throat. I was able to eat macaroni and cheese and pudding, no problem. I was prescribed liquid oxycodone and OxyContin pills. Day 2 the pain was slightly worse but not unbearable. By the time I got to days 4 - 7 I was in excruciating pain. But it was my tongue and ear that were bothering me, not so much my throat. My tongue was throbbing, the worst pain I had ever had in my life. My narcotics didn't help, neither did Tylenol. It hurt if I was eating, talking, or just sitting there staring at the wall. I didn't eat anything except chicken broth those few days. I woke up on day 8, today, with more throat pain than tongue, but mostly just the morning because I didn't drink much during the night. Right now I have no pain unless I start eating. My throat is slightly itchy too, which means it's healing. Luckily I stay hydrated and drunk about 2,000mL of fluids every day since surgery.

Comment from: youngngifted, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 6 days post tonsillectomy. I had my adenoids removed and bones removed out my nose as well. My nose didn't bother me whatsoever minus acute bleeding but my tonsils! I woke up in the worst possible pain but since I still had anesthesia in my system, I just slept. But day 2 to 4 was the worst possible pain ever. Swallowing pills was impossible so was swallowing water or any other substance. Needless to say I got dehydrated and my scab opened more, which caused heavy bleeding. They gave me a steroid shot to open my throat more, IV fluid and sent me home. It helped because I drank a whole bottle of water and apple juiced mixed.

Comment from: SGGT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am on day 6. I had a tonsillectomy and a partial uvulectomy. The first five days were the hardest. I thought this would be easier but it is actually really painful. I am still not able to eat solid foods. It hurts to swallow, hurts to open my jaw, my ears and neck hurt. I went back to work on day 4 but couldn't make it through the day. I am back at work now and I'm okay as long as I take Tylenol every four hours. I sound like I'm deaf when I talk and it hurts to speak. I constantly have to wipe my mouth out and the smell from the back of my throat is yucky, no amount of brushing your teeth will help it. I feel like I'm drowning if I don't sleep upright and when I drink anything. Heads up, no, literally heads up if you drink. My tongue is sore because I bit it several times which must have happened in recovery. I also have several mouth sores so please be cautious when you attempt to eat. With that said I actually feel well rested. I don't think I've slept this well since... well, ever! It has been the hardest week of my life but I don't regret it. Just be prepared to be in a lot of pain and be prepared to slow down because there is no going full speed.

Comment from: Th32, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I'm on day 8 post tonsillectomy and it has been about as bad as I anticipated it to be. I have been suffering from tonsillitis every month since October 2013. I never had any problems with my tonsils prior to October but it was like once they got infected it never really went away. Because I didn't want to continue living in misery for one week every month I decided to get them out. I read a lot about the surgery beforehand so I would know what to expect and I'm glad that I did because I knew what I was getting myself into. Days 1-5 really weren't too bad for me. Days 1 and 2 were especially kind. I actually had minimal to no pain at all and eating wasn't terrible. Days 3-5 weren't quite as easy but nothing too bad. I actually thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones who escaped the surgery without any problems. Then day 6 came ouch! I couldn't talk or eat anything and the pain medications had made me so sick that I almost threw up a few times (luckily I never did). Day 7 was a lot better. The pain was still there but I wasn't as nauseated and by the end of the night I could eat and drink a lot easier. I actually had a bit of an enchilada but that was a huge mistake because the green sauce had lots of flavor/seasonings in it and I can still taste it in my mouth every time I breathe or talk. Hopefully those out there contemplating a tonsillectomy don't have a sensitive stomach because your throat and mouth will taste like rotted rat meat. Overall, though, I do not regret this surgery. It was not pleasant but 2 weeks' worth of misery will be so worth it if I never have tonsillitis again. The doctor even said that my tonsils were very beaten up and that removing them was probably the best thing for me. I hope that will be the case. Just like everyone else has been saying drink lots of water even though it hurts. Stay hydrated. It really does help. And stay on top of your medicines too. And don't eat enchiladas. Or look at the back of your throat. Anyway, I hope to follow up here in a couple months to update on my progress. Hopefully no more getting sick! Good luck to everyone who is recovering or considering having the surgery. Even at the peak of my pain I didn't regret the surgery and hopefully you won't either.

Comment from: Brandy0126, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Worst pain I've ever had was after tonsillectomy, and I've had some bad surgeries in my lifetime. They tell you to hydrate, but I couldn't swallow liquids - made me cough and choke and the first time I tried to swallow pain medication, I thought I was going to die because I couldn't breathe! I suggest you stay in hospital until you are certain you can take liquids, otherwise you will dehydrate quickly and be in worse shape than just from the surgery. I stayed in hospital 3 days and it was the best thing I did - I'm now 2 weeks post operation and still taking pain medications but throat is mending and I can swallow liquids if I'm careful. For the most part I live on ice cream and pudding but today had scrambled eggs for the protein. Take your pain medications on time for pain management. I suggest that if you stay in hospital, make sure you get your medicines when you're supposed to have them, because getting pain back under control is difficult.

Comment from: Clo1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

It's day 3 following my tonsillectomy and yes, I am still in agony. No matter what I try to eat it still causes me terrible pain. I am taking my antibiotics regularly and I am also taking pain killers which, I hate to say, don't really seem to be making much of a difference! All I'm going to say is drink as much ice water as possible! This has really helped me and seems to really ease my throat. The surgeon told me to carry on eating as normally as possible although we all know this is not as easy as it sounds! I have definitely cried with the pain that I have experienced. I would also advise not to talk! Stay as quiet as you can and rest your voice as much as you can! Thankfully I have not bled and I hope it stays that way! Like I said, it's only day 3 for me and I may post another when I am feeling better! Good luck to all.

Comment from: aus1064, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

A lot of useful information here so thought I'd contribute by posting my story. I didn't just have my tonsils out but my nose straightened, sinus drained and skin graft inside the nose so was expecting to be in a world of pain. The only pain however was in my throat, although the pain was bearable. It wasn't was bad as I thought it'd be. The nights were the worst because I couldn't breathe through my nose, my throat would dry out and the pain would be terrible on waking up or halfway through a sleep. My advice would be stock up on painkillers and take them religiously, have short interval sleeps and keep hydrated. Good luck!

Comment from: slamfancy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

After 8 weeks of tonsillitis, and being on and off of all kinds of antibiotics, I finally decided to get a tonsillectomy (age 19). The day of the surgery, I was very nervous/anxious. My heart rate was through the roof, but the anesthesiologist gave me a relaxant, and that helped. Heading to surgery was no problem, and I barely even remember nodding off in the operation room. I woke up in recovery a little groggy, but my pain was negligible. I had an appetite and I was aware/lucid. They gave me ice chips right away, and I was on my way home within the hour. Day 1 was no problem. I had the medicines from my IV in me, and I was taking liquid Vicodin (a godsend of a drug). I could talk, and I felt like my old self. The morning of day 2 (today) was rough. There were no medicines in my system at that point (I slept for a good 9 hours), and I was feeling it. My mouth was dry, my throat/neck hurt, and swallowing made me wince. Once I got back on my pain medications I was feeling better by lunch. The pain is definitely higher on the second day, but after being sick for two months, I can manage fine. Tips: Drink ice water constantly, it helps with pain and swelling, and hydration is key. Start with cold, soft foods. Honestly, a frosty from Wendy's is a great and beautiful thing.

Comment from: chacha202012, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

So I got my tonsils out on June 16 (2 days after I turned 20), and when I got out I was doing well. They gave me an injection and a patch for sickness so I did feel nauseated but was mostly just was tired. Then I got home and slept and when it was time to take my pain pills, I couldn't swallow them. I had to physically shove then down my throat. I also couldn't talk without wanting to cry it hurt so badly. So I had my grandma call the doctor and they put me on another pain medicine. The pill is much smaller so I was able to get it down. It has been helping with pain a lot more than the other pill alone. But I still can hardly talk and it takes me a long time to eat still. It kills to swallow but if I just sit and don't do anything I feel fine. And I have an extremely high pain tolerance so I thought this surgery wouldn't have been such a big deal but it's been a struggle so far. Good luck to anyone getting it done.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?