Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: annagracefleet, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

This tonsillectomy was my first surgery. Let me say one thing. The recovery is terrible! I have never been in more pain as far as orally goes. It is Saturday. I went through the procedure on Thursday morning. Thursday was spent mostly on sleeping. Friday I had a few visitors but mostly slept. Both days my pain was moderate. Today (Saturday) I woke up with severe throat pain. Very, very painful. Felt as if someone had cut me multiple times with a machete. I took two of my pain medicine and ate some ice cream and watched some TV. I eventually fell asleep around 3 pm and did not wake back up until 7:30. My pain was worse than before. (I did not think this was possible). I took my pain medicine with water and this was almost impossible to get down. I used the restroom and it was clear by the color of my urine that I was dehydrated so I forced myself to drink some Gatorade; very painful. I am hoping that I will soon feel better. Day by day the pain seems to almost be getting worse.

Comment from: loric, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am currently on day 10 (counting surgery as day 1) and I have been miserable! I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but some days/moments it does not feel that way. I was very easily able to talk for the first few days after my surgery with minimal pain. Now it kills me to talk unless my medicine has recently kicked in. I have had to maintain the 4 hour medicine schedule very closely in order to not rip my head and throat off, which is very unusual for me! Even after having a C section or my spleen removed, I was not on pain medicine around the clock and definitely not by day 10! I am still unable to really eat anything because I end up with pain 10 out of 10 (even with medication) with everything I swallow. Every food I have tried (including mashed potatoes and ice cream) cause a severe burning and pain. Food and liquids often feel as though they get stuck in the surgical areas. And now every time I sleep, I end up struggling to breathe at some point (with no previous history of sleep apnea). I don't know me what I am doing wrong or what I can do to make this any better!

Comment from: Americanalex, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on October 10th. It is now October 28th, so about 3 weeks after surgery. Before I begin I just want to say, do not listen to the horror stories that other people have shared because it is not as bad as some of the stories that you will read. I had my surgery on a Friday and by Tuesday I was out and about. Listen to your doctor, take your medicine as the label says and don't wait any longer then it says to take it. Keep your head busy and surround yourself by things you enjoy and you will be okay! I was freaking out before my surgery after reading all of the horror stories, and it was nothing like the other stories. Force yourself to eat and drink. I know it's difficult but it helps with the recovery and speeds it up. I went through about 5 to 6 boxes of Italian ice and they actually felt very soothing when eating them. My diet consisted of Italian ice, pudding, broccoli cheddar soup, Gatorade, water and ginger ale. The mornings suck because your mouth is so dry, but suck it up and take your medicine, get a drink that you enjoy and get something cold to eat. Ten to twenty minutes later after the medicine kicks in, you'll be ready for anything! My doctor gave me liquid hydrocodone, a liquid antibiotic (it soothed my throat and felt incredible after I took it) an anti-nausea medicine that at first I would crush up and eat with pudding, and a numbing medication that numbed my whole mouth (do not eat or drink after taking it because you will choke). Just sit back, watch some movies and relax, you will be fine! I hope this helps!

Comment from: thewoodenboy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I had a standard tonsillectomy yesterday morning at 10 am. My doctor did the traditional procedure and had warned me of the pain and the need for a caretaker for the first few days. Here I am, less than 24 hours out and I feel that the pain is there, somewhat tolerable, until I try to drink anything. The only thing that seems to go down remotely easily is taking a spoonful of Jell-O, mashing it around in my mouth for a bit and then swallowing. I haven't tried ice cream yet as I'm nervous (as I see some people have mentioned here) about getting phlegmy and having to cough up stuff. At this point my concern is not being able to drink anything. Will keep you updated as this progresses.

Comment from: porsche1024, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

Well, I was fighting tonsillitis for a year. I was on antibiotics all the time and now I am allergic to penicillin. I finally had them out in June so now it's October and I'm still trying to get my immune system back to what it is supposed to be. I had my tonsils out in the hospital and they gave me Graham crackers and Gatorade right away to see if I could swallow. I thought great, it all went down fine! Well then the medicines they gave me wore off and I could not drink or eat as they wanted me to. My throat was terribly sore and I didn't think I could swallow. I know they said drink water, and Gatorade seems to burn my throat. Doctor gave me Percocet which is the best liquid pain relief. I ran out soon, so I called for a refill to find out doctor had gone on vacation so his partner gave me oxycodone liquid which burns and did not relieve the pain. On day 4, a vein in my throat busted after a nap (you do want to sleep a lot). Now I know it was due to not drinking enough. I had blood oozing down my throat and out of my mouth, too scary. I went to the hospital by ambulance and it let up by the time I got there and happened again there. The doctor on call said I would be fine and sent me home. I thought I'm 65 years old and I will bleed to death if it happens again. My doctor was gone so I was lost. Well, it did not happen again thank goodness. I would say now not drinking enough must have been it. I do feel a lot better now and 50 pounds lighter because I couldn't eat much for 6 months. Now I eat everything. I think I killed my tonsils by chewing too much gum. Sugar is a bad thing for tonsils. A health food store worker told me this! I still love my gum but now I'm careful and I'm diabetic shouldn't have been chewing anyway! I hope this helps the older folks that have to have the tonsils out. Just keep drinking. That's the key. I had a great doctor. Good Luck!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?