Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Tx Horn45, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and surprising, I have had little to no pain in my throat. Day 1 was not, as I had nausea but once day 2 got here and it was gone, I had no problems. The best advice I can give anyone, as I think it greatly helped me, is drink water nonstop once you get home. My mom said I drank like a gallon of water a day with cold ice in it, which probably helped keep the pain away. I also woke up every hour to drink cold water the first two nights so my throat did not dry out. On day 2 I had no problems eating macaroni, cheese and mashed potatoes with gravy, which I was going to wait until day 3 to eat but doctor said if I had no problems swallowing then eat away. I hope everyone's experience is as good as mine, as I have yet to experience the horrible pain other people said they had.

Comment from: Hannahbanana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I had been reading everyone's stories here before my surgery to prepare me, so now here's mine. Today is day 8 for me (including operation day). The first day of my surgery, I immediately starting drinking a vitamin water when I got home. Pain was minimal, just a slight sore throat. I was able to eat macaroni and cheese and pudding, no problem. I was prescribed liquid oxycodone and OxyContin pills. Day 2 the pain was slightly worse but not unbearable. By the time I got to days 4 - 7 I was in excruciating pain. But it was my tongue and ear that were bothering me, not so much my throat. My tongue was throbbing, the worst pain I had ever had in my life. My narcotics didn't help, neither did Tylenol. It hurt if I was eating, talking, or just sitting there staring at the wall. I didn't eat anything except chicken broth those few days. I woke up on day 8, today, with more throat pain than tongue, but mostly just the morning because I didn't drink much during the night. Right now I have no pain unless I start eating. My throat is slightly itchy too, which means it's healing. Luckily I stay hydrated and drunk about 2,000mL of fluids every day since surgery.

Comment from: youngngifted, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am 6 days post tonsillectomy. I had my adenoids removed and bones removed out my nose as well. My nose didn't bother me whatsoever minus acute bleeding but my tonsils! I woke up in the worst possible pain but since I still had anesthesia in my system, I just slept. But day 2 to 4 was the worst possible pain ever. Swallowing pills was impossible so was swallowing water or any other substance. Needless to say I got dehydrated and my scab opened more, which caused heavy bleeding. They gave me a steroid shot to open my throat more, IV fluid and sent me home. It helped because I drank a whole bottle of water and apple juiced mixed.

Comment from: SGGT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I am on day 6. I had a tonsillectomy and a partial uvulectomy. The first five days were the hardest. I thought this would be easier but it is actually really painful. I am still not able to eat solid foods. It hurts to swallow, hurts to open my jaw, my ears and neck hurt. I went back to work on day 4 but couldn't make it through the day. I am back at work now and I'm okay as long as I take Tylenol every four hours. I sound like I'm deaf when I talk and it hurts to speak. I constantly have to wipe my mouth out and the smell from the back of my throat is yucky, no amount of brushing your teeth will help it. I feel like I'm drowning if I don't sleep upright and when I drink anything. Heads up, no, literally heads up if you drink. My tongue is sore because I bit it several times which must have happened in recovery. I also have several mouth sores so please be cautious when you attempt to eat. With that said I actually feel well rested. I don't think I've slept this well since... well, ever! It has been the hardest week of my life but I don't regret it. Just be prepared to be in a lot of pain and be prepared to slow down because there is no going full speed.

Comment from: Th32, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I'm on day 8 post tonsillectomy and it has been about as bad as I anticipated it to be. I have been suffering from tonsillitis every month since October 2013. I never had any problems with my tonsils prior to October but it was like once they got infected it never really went away. Because I didn't want to continue living in misery for one week every month I decided to get them out. I read a lot about the surgery beforehand so I would know what to expect and I'm glad that I did because I knew what I was getting myself into. Days 1-5 really weren't too bad for me. Days 1 and 2 were especially kind. I actually had minimal to no pain at all and eating wasn't terrible. Days 3-5 weren't quite as easy but nothing too bad. I actually thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones who escaped the surgery without any problems. Then day 6 came ouch! I couldn't talk or eat anything and the pain medications had made me so sick that I almost threw up a few times (luckily I never did). Day 7 was a lot better. The pain was still there but I wasn't as nauseated and by the end of the night I could eat and drink a lot easier. I actually had a bit of an enchilada but that was a huge mistake because the green sauce had lots of flavor/seasonings in it and I can still taste it in my mouth every time I breathe or talk. Hopefully those out there contemplating a tonsillectomy don't have a sensitive stomach because your throat and mouth will taste like rotted rat meat. Overall, though, I do not regret this surgery. It was not pleasant but 2 weeks' worth of misery will be so worth it if I never have tonsillitis again. The doctor even said that my tonsils were very beaten up and that removing them was probably the best thing for me. I hope that will be the case. Just like everyone else has been saying drink lots of water even though it hurts. Stay hydrated. It really does help. And stay on top of your medicines too. And don't eat enchiladas. Or look at the back of your throat. Anyway, I hope to follow up here in a couple months to update on my progress. Hopefully no more getting sick! Good luck to everyone who is recovering or considering having the surgery. Even at the peak of my pain I didn't regret the surgery and hopefully you won't either.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?