Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: monstar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Today is day number 5 since my tonsillectomy, I think. I wasn't scared about the operation because I needed it. So mind made up, I went in. The nurses were lovely and I don't remember much about anything after they put me under. When I woke up I was a bit sore and could drink a bit of water and take two tablets. By the time evening came however, I couldn't handle more than 3 sips and had to take my pain tablets with yoghurt in order to swallow. Also I've noticed that anything cold makes my muscles contract and causes searing pain so I've been on a constant diet of tea and hot water since the operation. Eating is ok, maybe a few bites here and there. I've found boiled eggs to be the best. Last night was the first time I've tried an ice pop and it was wonderful. I just wanted to post that I've found hot drinks better as everyone else seems to like cold. Pain medications are a must and sleeping propped upright helps as well.

Comment from: 39YO female, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

It is Day 12 of this roller coaster ride called recovery. What an up and down experience I have had. Post-operation was a breeze and I began eating normal straight away and was having an easy time of it until the dreaded Day 7. Two separate surgeons had warned me of Day 7 and I felt I was going to get through unscathed as I had been having such a good recovery up to that point. First bleed occurred at 1.30AM and it is a very scary experience to feel blood pooling in the back of your throat in the early hours of the morning. I had a panic when the bleeding didn't stop and ended up taking an ambulance to the emergency room where I had another bleed while waiting to be seen and ended up being admitted for a night which was a depressing experience when I felt like I should have been starting to get better! I followed all the advice given such as not sleeping flat, drinking heaps of ice cold water, taking pain medications on time whether they were needed or not and eating regularly and whilst I haven't had the pain levels others have described, I've has three bleeds that have doused me with concern. One piece of advice that any forum seems to be missing is to start taking a laxative from Day 1. The worst experience by far was the constipation bought on by the codeine based pain medications.

Comment from: Yew, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I'm on day three of tonsillectomy recovery. Oh my goodness, this is so bad. I keep hoping that it doesn't get worse, so very swollen and painful. On a scale of 1-10, I'd have to put the pain at maybe a 7. The worst is when I take my pain medications because the liquid burns my sores when I try to swallow it. I've gone to diluting it with water to make it easier to swallow. The pain medications themselves seem to only last for maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour and then I get the pain again. Ice packs on my neck are life savers, ice itself is a life saver. I eat a ton of it. I have lukewarm/room temperature soup (tomato soup and chicken and stars soup) are heavenly and aren't sweet, which is nice. I also drink Boost protein drinks, apple sauce, and Danimals drinkable yogurt. Some side effects I wasn't expecting are dizziness, sinus irritation (from breathing through my nose so much), jitters (or shakes) and chest tightness. Side effects I expected but didn't expect the intensity are pain and swelling, oh my gosh, it's so bad. I feel like someone's trying to choke me and not doing it right so I can kind of breathe but there's so little room.

Comment from: Kona36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 36, I just had a tonsillectomy yesterday so now on post-operative day 1. So far so good. I have pain only with swallowing - after pain medications 2/10 before pain medications 6-7/10. Pain medications last about 3 hours. I have not had much of an appetite yet but see that changing very quickly. My tongue and uvula swollen, but not terrible. No nausea experienced thus far.

Comment from: Marty, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

My tonsillectomy went very well. I actually thought about canceling it after reading hours of messages, with pain levels from 8 to 10 for days. As for me I have had nothing above 3 maybe 4. I went in on December 4th and by December 5th I was adding a new heater to my bathroom Jacuzzi tub (light work). I took my pain medications on time, kept my mouth wet and ate often to keep this scab small. I found the best doctor in the area to perform my procedure. It is now day five and all is well with very little pain and no bleeding at all (not even a drop in the sink over the last five days). I actually went Christmas shopping on day 3 and 4. I have been eating normal food for a few days but keeping chips and pizza out as they have sharp edges. The bottom line is I am glad I did the surgery. My suggestions would be to drink regularly, keep the moisture in the room above 70% (I averaged 80% or higher with two cool mist humidifiers), eat often without destroying the scab. My biggest advantage was a great doctor and an amazing loved one taking care of me. The other major part is keeping hydrated. I must have drunk a gallon of ice water an hour the first day but it set me up for an easy recovery.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?