Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Leigh, (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 30 years old and I had my tonsils removed on a Monday. I'm currently in recovery and it is Friday. Yesterday was the worst for me. The back of my tongue hurt so bad, it felt as if my tongue had been sutured and it came loose. It's probably the scabs but the feeling was sharp and it was hard to swallow; I had to use pain medicines plus the numbing lollipops. That's only the worst of mine. I have managed with protein shakes, blueberry applesauce since blueberries are a natural anti-inflammatory. I also had cream of chicken soup, and I ate gelato ice cream as it is much smoother. For me the smoother and thicker eases my throat. Broth irritated it because of too much salt. I also bought Benefiber, and vitamin C drink mixes of 1000 mg vitamin C because it helps skin heal. I also took vitamin B one week prior to surgery to get my immune system up. These all have helped my recovery. I've been taking it easy, and having someone to help you really pays off. Just stay hydrated mainly because the scab can't get dry. Also I used salt water to clean my mouth after every meal and prior to brushing teeth. The best time especially is after shower because your throat is open and the salt water really cleanses it. I just tilted my head side to side and when putting my head back to bathe my throat, I used my hand for support on my neck. These are all things that did wonders for me and has made my recovery smoother. I hope this helps you in yours. My advice is to listen to your body and do not overdo it. That is when you'll get nauseous, and while riding in car. Feel better!

Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I had tonsillectomy on 11/14; I am 25 years old. Day one wasn't so bad I slept most the day. Day 2 hurt and called my ENT and asked for stronger medicine (Percocet) because the pain was pretty bad. I have a high tolerance, it didn't really bother me. Days 3 to 5 were the worst days as in scabs falling off and couldn't eat really, I ate crackers and I was fine. Day 6 I had peanut butter jam sandwich, very small bites, and pain was almost gone. Day 7 to 10 I was back to eating whatever I wanted, didn't need medicine. Today is day 11 and I have zero pain. I actually had a grilled chicken sandwich. I went back to work on day 10 and I am having no issues there. I'm sorry for all the horror stories, my surgeon did a great job. I say eat Ritz crackers and drink water for the 3 to 4 days and it just clears right up. My daughter had it the same day as well and she was eating normal by day 7. Good luck!

Comment from: annagracefleet, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

This tonsillectomy was my first surgery. Let me say one thing. The recovery is terrible! I have never been in more pain as far as orally goes. It is Saturday. I went through the procedure on Thursday morning. Thursday was spent mostly on sleeping. Friday I had a few visitors but mostly slept. Both days my pain was moderate. Today (Saturday) I woke up with severe throat pain. Very, very painful. Felt as if someone had cut me multiple times with a machete. I took two of my pain medicine and ate some ice cream and watched some TV. I eventually fell asleep around 3 pm and did not wake back up until 7:30. My pain was worse than before. (I did not think this was possible). I took my pain medicine with water and this was almost impossible to get down. I used the restroom and it was clear by the color of my urine that I was dehydrated so I forced myself to drink some Gatorade; very painful. I am hoping that I will soon feel better. Day by day the pain seems to almost be getting worse.

Comment from: loric, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am currently on day 10 (counting surgery as day 1) and I have been miserable! I keep telling myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but some days/moments it does not feel that way. I was very easily able to talk for the first few days after my surgery with minimal pain. Now it kills me to talk unless my medicine has recently kicked in. I have had to maintain the 4 hour medicine schedule very closely in order to not rip my head and throat off, which is very unusual for me! Even after having a C section or my spleen removed, I was not on pain medicine around the clock and definitely not by day 10! I am still unable to really eat anything because I end up with pain 10 out of 10 (even with medication) with everything I swallow. Every food I have tried (including mashed potatoes and ice cream) cause a severe burning and pain. Food and liquids often feel as though they get stuck in the surgical areas. And now every time I sleep, I end up struggling to breathe at some point (with no previous history of sleep apnea). I don't know me what I am doing wrong or what I can do to make this any better!

Comment from: Americanalex, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I had my tonsillectomy surgery on October 10th. It is now October 28th, so about 3 weeks after surgery. Before I begin I just want to say, do not listen to the horror stories that other people have shared because it is not as bad as some of the stories that you will read. I had my surgery on a Friday and by Tuesday I was out and about. Listen to your doctor, take your medicine as the label says and don't wait any longer then it says to take it. Keep your head busy and surround yourself by things you enjoy and you will be okay! I was freaking out before my surgery after reading all of the horror stories, and it was nothing like the other stories. Force yourself to eat and drink. I know it's difficult but it helps with the recovery and speeds it up. I went through about 5 to 6 boxes of Italian ice and they actually felt very soothing when eating them. My diet consisted of Italian ice, pudding, broccoli cheddar soup, Gatorade, water and ginger ale. The mornings suck because your mouth is so dry, but suck it up and take your medicine, get a drink that you enjoy and get something cold to eat. Ten to twenty minutes later after the medicine kicks in, you'll be ready for anything! My doctor gave me liquid hydrocodone, a liquid antibiotic (it soothed my throat and felt incredible after I took it) an anti-nausea medicine that at first I would crush up and eat with pudding, and a numbing medication that numbed my whole mouth (do not eat or drink after taking it because you will choke). Just sit back, watch some movies and relax, you will be fine! I hope this helps!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?