Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Kellie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I mean, it's not easy. But it's definitely worth it! I had tonsil stones, and frequent tonsillitis. Day 1 to 3 of tonsillectomy recovery were great. Just felt like a little tonsillitis. Day 4 got worse, then day 5 to day 11 were extremely painful. The mornings are the worst, the best thing to do is have your tablets, have some jelly then 1 small dry biscuit. This lifts the scabs then you feel much better for the rest of the day. Keep the medicines up. My jaw really hurt, and ice packs helped that a lot. Good luck! I didn't vomit, but at one stage I felt very nauseous (empty stomach and constant medication don't mix well), I just had an anti-nauseous tablet and was ok. I could hardly eat (was very hungry) and didn't talk for about 2 weeks. Even though it's a good excuse to eat ice cream, don't. Dairy creates phlegm, and phlegm makes you want to clear your throat. Not a good idea (I learnt this as I am a singing teacher). It's very hard, and frustrating, but I have found it is worth it. Good luck!

Comment from: Whitneyg23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

Today is my third day of having my tonsil removed, I never thought the pain would be so bad. No matter how many videos I watched and googled information about tonsillectomy nothing prepared me for this pain. My uvula is very much swollen with white coating around it. Nothing I drink or eat makes my throat feel any better. I can barely open my mouth and my jaws, and my neck is in so much pain. And to make it worse my breath is horrible. I don't know about anybody else but I also had some nasal surgery so I'm also coughing up mucus on a sore throat and scabs from my mouth. I didn't think I would see scabs this early but I'm happy. Doctor told me to be prepared because it will get worse after the third day; I'm not too good with pain so let's see. I just really have been in bed since the surgery on September 14, 2015, sleeping on and off. Well, hope I help the ones that are thinking about getting this surgery or already have gotten it. It's a struggle but it's worth it at the end; I feel like a can breathe a lot better now.

Comment from: Labnjab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

Today is day 1 for me after tonsillectomy. My surgery went well yesterday. I got to the hospital by 11:35 and had to wait a good 15 minutes or so. Then I got taken back to a room with my mom. I got asked a ton of questions, then more nurses and the anesthesiologist came by and then the ENT preforming the surgery. They had me urinate in a cup, change into the hospital gown and slipper socks and then put on IV. I must have been asked why I was there and told what was being done at least 5 times. A male nurse wheeled me into the operation room then got I moved onto the operating table and my legs were strapped down. I did not like that too much. Then I heard them record I was there for PE (pressure equalization) tubes in my ears and a tonsillectomy. They put probes on an oxygen mask that I knew was medicines since it smelled like vanilla. The male nurse whispered I soon won't feel like myself and all of a sudden I woke up in recovery with ear pain which they didn't warn me about. They asked my pain level which I said was an 8 so they pumped more medicines and I for some reason wanted apple juice. Then I got half an orange Popsicle. Pain went down to a 4 and then I was wheeled back to my original room and saw it was 2:10 pm. I overheard I was given 3 different anti-nausea medications and some pain medicine that started with a D and morphine. Then since I said my pain was a 5 they had me take liquid Tylenol and 1 oxycodone and then get out of the chair 30 minutes later since I was down to a 2 in pain level. I kept walking around yesterday and talked my mom and husband's ear off. I was feeling very energized. I must have had 4 bottles of water and a little Gatorade. Sleeping was the worst especially since I didn't know I had to sleep elevated and every time I would slip down I couldn't breathe due to my swollen uvula. Today is day 1 and the pain isn't too bad. My voice is not like yesterday but I knew it would go away. I have had 3 bottles of water, some instant breakfast and some grape juice. I will update more as the week goes on.

Comment from: Snapper, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

I am now 17 days post tonsillectomy. This recovery is not easy. I am from the UK and we are advised to eat hard foods to help the healing process. Day 1 to 10 were hard, lack of sleep and pain, the best thing I can advise anyone is to eat and eat. I eat porridge, then lunch on soup and bread, dinner was egg mash, and snack was toast. I also eat a big bar of chocolate. Yes, the pain was incredible when eating but the reward was being able to take medicines and no sore stomach. Also because of hard foods I was able to eat any food without pain after day 11. Yes it's because I ate every day through horrific pain but the result is good. I went back to work on day 12 and lowered my medicines; wee bit of a set back from day 15, really tired throat and throwing up. I have over done it a bit, I should have taken the full 14 days off and just rested. So onwards and upwards, will post on day 24. Good luck all.

Comment from: angangel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I am 20 years old. I had my tonsillectomy surgery on 8/6/15. This is awful. I've been struggling with tonsillitis for the past three years and decided to get them out. I can't swallow or eat. Drinking kills. Chewing kills. My painkillers make me so unbelievably nauseous I feel like vomiting constantly. This is the worst pain I've ever felt.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?