Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: Shianne, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had a ton of anxiety before my tonsillectomy. I have never had a surgery before. So I didn't know what to expect. I have to say it was a lot better an experience than I had imagined and worked myself up for. For instance, reading other people's experiences the night before your operation is a big no-no! So stop it and breathe! I woke up and felt a little nauseous. That was due to the anesthesia. They gave me something for that and something for pain. You start to feel better once the anesthesia starts to wear off a bit. It's like taking a sleeping pill and then not getting enough sleep to sleep it off. But once you wake up you are fine. The pain is awful. But it is not so bad that it should scare you. They will give you something for the pain. Set a timer and take what they give you. Although you might want to consider taking a little less of it at first. They told me 3 teaspoons of the Lortab. I ended up only needing 1 1/2 teaspoon at a time. That worked perfect for the pain and didn't make me feel all funny and dizzy. I never threw up and I never bled. The worst thing about this surgery is not being able to eat. I am so hungry! I even have 4 kids home with me and I still managed. So if you are reading this pre operation, then just know you will be just fine! They will take good care of you. Talk to them. No question is stupid at all. I have the biggest anxiety problem and I look back on it like, eh. I was fine. Plus you will feel so much better without those icky tonsils. Hope this helps. Good luck all!

Comment from: Clara, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I had my tonsils removed on 12/11. This is post-operation day 4 and I'm feeling terrible. Keep in mind everybody has different pain tolerance and the younger you are the faster you recover. I'm 29 and I thought I had a very high pain tolerance, or at least decent, but this has kicked me. The first two days were a piece of cake, I even ate macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, and my appetite was great. The day after surgery I was talking and going up and down the house like nothing. Do not do this! I ended up paying the price the following days. Even if you feel like you can do so many things, take it easy. Lay in bed. I have a 4 year old who doesn't quite understand and wants you to play with him at all times. I felt like I had to run around with him, clean the house and do all the things us mothers do but you better calm down and let your husband, neighbor, friends or family help you. Besides a very sore throat, my jaw hurts to the point I'm not able to fully open my mouth and my tongue hurts like I've been chewing on it. On top of all that, it feels like I have a dead skunk inside my mouth. The doctor gave me Lortab and told me to 'take it round the clock', which I have been doing. He also gave me tetracaine lollipops which help numb my throat, and amoxicillin. I've added a stool softener to my pill collection since the Lortab is been giving the most horrible constipation I've ever had. I called my doctor today since I was expecting to be feeling better by now. He said it was normal to still feel ill for about 6 days. He also said today or tomorrow would probably be the worst day. I guess one good thing is I haven't been bleeding or running a fever. I've been drinking lots of water and Jell-O and ice cream. I'm eating papaya and prune juice for constipation. I think all I need at this point is lots of patience.

Comment from: Leigh, (Patient) Published: December 05

I'm 30 years old and I had my tonsils removed on a Monday. I'm currently in recovery and it is Friday. Yesterday was the worst for me. The back of my tongue hurt so bad, it felt as if my tongue had been sutured and it came loose. It's probably the scabs but the feeling was sharp and it was hard to swallow; I had to use pain medicines plus the numbing lollipops. That's only the worst of mine. I have managed with protein shakes, blueberry applesauce since blueberries are a natural anti-inflammatory. I also had cream of chicken soup, and I ate gelato ice cream as it is much smoother. For me the smoother and thicker eases my throat. Broth irritated it because of too much salt. I also bought Benefiber, and vitamin C drink mixes of 1000 mg vitamin C because it helps skin heal. I also took vitamin B one week prior to surgery to get my immune system up. These all have helped my recovery. I've been taking it easy, and having someone to help you really pays off. Just stay hydrated mainly because the scab can't get dry. Also I used salt water to clean my mouth after every meal and prior to brushing teeth. The best time especially is after shower because your throat is open and the salt water really cleanses it. I just tilted my head side to side and when putting my head back to bathe my throat, I used my hand for support on my neck. These are all things that did wonders for me and has made my recovery smoother. I hope this helps you in yours. My advice is to listen to your body and do not overdo it. That is when you'll get nauseous, and while riding in car. Feel better!

Comment from: Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

I had tonsillectomy on 11/14; I am 25 years old. Day one wasn't so bad I slept most the day. Day 2 hurt and called my ENT and asked for stronger medicine (Percocet) because the pain was pretty bad. I have a high tolerance, it didn't really bother me. Days 3 to 5 were the worst days as in scabs falling off and couldn't eat really, I ate crackers and I was fine. Day 6 I had peanut butter jam sandwich, very small bites, and pain was almost gone. Day 7 to 10 I was back to eating whatever I wanted, didn't need medicine. Today is day 11 and I have zero pain. I actually had a grilled chicken sandwich. I went back to work on day 10 and I am having no issues there. I'm sorry for all the horror stories, my surgeon did a great job. I say eat Ritz crackers and drink water for the 3 to 4 days and it just clears right up. My daughter had it the same day as well and she was eating normal by day 7. Good luck!

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?