Patient Comments: Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Comment from: mryan002, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

The tonsillectomy was horrible for me. On day 1, I slept my life away. But on day 2 was bad; ice cream and popsicles did not work for me because it just created more mucus for me. Then I tried mashed potatoes, and that was a fail. Anything that came near my throat was horrible, even water. I'm a huge water drinker, usually a gallon a day. Drinking 1 glass of water was an all-day process. On day 5 I felt pretty decent, but I tried to eat a cookie soaked in milk. I later discovered that was the worst decision ever. I think a scab came off or something and my throat is killing me to this day because of that cookie and I am on day 11. If you yawn well, you might as well kiss that goodbye. I have not been able to yawn for 11 days and that is so annoying. So I don't even stay up late anymore because I am in fear of yawning. It hurts so badly. I have TMJ (clicking in the jaws) and it seem like they made it worse. I cannot talk a full sentence without my jaws burning. My tongue burns on the side, and I am not sure why. The right side of my throat burns when I eat certain foods, and when that happens my right ear burns. I'm glad I got my tonsils removed because of the long run, but if someone were to ask me would I do it again with what I know now - heck no! I would rather deal with my tonsils every couple of months for the rest of my life than deal with this.

Comment from: worthit, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am a 24 year old female who decided to get a tonsillectomy because of tonsil stones and infections. Today is exactly 2 weeks after my operation and I have zero pain. I can eat whatever crunchy foods I want, and have been off taking Tylenol for 3 days. Honestly the pain was terrible. Two days after the surgery I got sick from the Lortab and got dehydrated but sipped ice water through the pain and was able to stay out of the hospital. If you are considering getting a tonsillectomy I'm telling you right now to stock up on applesauce, Go-Gurt, and ramen. You need something substantial in your system to handle the pain medications, and ramen gave me no pain upon swallowing. The Go-Gurt is good because you can squeeze that tube right down your throat with your pain medication. And I cannot stress enough ice packs and ice water. Keep at least two of each in the freezer so you can swap them when needed. Also, keep a schedule of when to take your pain medications, sleeping is not your friend, you must wake yourself up to drink and take your medicine or else you will be in much worse pain when you wake up. Overall I'm happy I did the operation and don't have to ever worry about dealing with bad breath or tonsil stones again, but you do need someone to take care of you for at least a week, and you should take at least two weeks off of work. Hope this helps!

Comment from: binkz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 19 years old, and I got my tonsillectomy 7 days ago. I lost 12 pounds to date since the surgery and my pain goes up and down. Day 5 was the worst I have ever felt during this whole experience; I woke up crying and in so much pain that I had to take a dose of Tylenol (625mg), a dose of morphine (5ml) and apply ice to my ears and neck. My pain is more unbearable around my ears, especially when I attempt to eat. Although, last night I had mashed potatoes and mashed turnip and it went down well. I avoid eating a lot of dairy products because it makes more mucus in my throat and makes it difficult to breathe or talk, in addition to the pain. I enjoyed having tea and water during my recovery. I also am able to eat pudding, baby food, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and soups. I have had Kraft dinner twice since the surgery because I was incredibly hungry, but eating this resulted in excruciating pain. I also tried having a V8 and that caused a huge amount of pain after having one sip. My scabs have yet to fall off, and I hope that once they do that I will be able to eat more normal foods. I was taking Tylenol every 4 hours, and that really helped relieve my pain. Today, I only took one dose of Tylenol and I feel good. The pain isn't bad, but it does get bad when I eat therefore I still can't eat much.

Comment from: Chloe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm 19 and on day 5 of recovery from tonsillectomy. I could never have imagined how painful a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy would be. If I had any idea of how much pain I would be in I definitely would have never opted to have this surgery. I spent the first night after the operation in hospital on heavy painkillers which were being admitted through a drip so I didn't have to swallow them. This gave me a false sense of hope and I decided to return home on day 2; a big mistake. Since leaving hospital I haven't been able to eat anything and I can barely drink without mucus building up and choking. My breath stinks and there is nothing that works to get rid of the stench. I would definitely prefer to get tonsillitis 5 times a year for the rest of my life than ever have gone through this pain!

Comment from: Ben, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I've had my tonsils removed yesterday and quite frankly it's not as bad as people say. It's not even close to the tonsillitis that I used to have. Just take your pain killers and you will be fine. I speak well, drink lots of water, eat Kraft dinner and eat ice cream and drink tea and it's all good. I cannot exhale from my nose if I lean back it's very swollen. They used electricity arcing to remove my tonsils so it is cauterized.

Tonsillectomy - Risks and Complications Question: What was the cause, risk, and complication of you needing a tonsillectomy?