Patient Comments: Tongue Problems - Describe Your Problems

Please describe your tongue problems.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a biopsy of the left side of my tongue February 12th for a whitish, tender area. The biopsy was negative, apparently inflammation. Still three months later, my tongue is excruciatingly sore. The area that the doctor (ENT) put 2 sutures in has healed about 6 weeks ago, leaving this rolled, small worm-like area about 1 inch long that is sore to eat, talk, and swallow.

Comment from: Bill1234, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have an irritation on the side of my tongue. I have had a biopsy which came back negative. I had a new crown put in a couple of years ago and that is when it started. However, the dentist does believe I have no allergic reaction to the crown. There are no visible sores.

Comment from: Laura, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have burning tongue for 44 years since the birth of my son. It started with dry mouth, full tongue in mouth. I have some saliva now but tongue is still full in mouth and burns. It"s like always being aware of my tongue.

Comment from: CheFatKat, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have swollen tongue and pain. Bottom interior between teeth under tongue is swollen too. I have pain and difficulty swallowing. I have very tender glands in lower jaw, and white and black spot on either side of tongue. It's very painful and very swollen.

Comment from: aprilmay, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I am trying to decide what type of dentist/doctor to see for a wound to the mouth. He had a hole in the roof of the mouth through to the sinus cavity, and the tongue has fused itself to the bottom of the mouth. He needs to have his tongue released from the bottom of his mouth and the hole closed, somehow. He has no teeth on the upper jaw and 3 teeth left on the bottom. His jaw is shattered, so nothing can be done with the bottom until surgery to fix the jaw, in about 2 months.

Comment from: granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

The front half of my tongue is red and rough and has a metallic taste and everything tastes strange, especially salty things.

Comment from: sandy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

Dad has had black hairy tongue for 3 months, it has also spread to his bottom teeth.

Comment from: faraway, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have a case of sinusitis and I went to the doctor and was given antibiotic and something called a Z-Pak which tore up my stomach. Then I bought over the counter allergy pills. And then I was told to put Vicks VapoRub under my nose every night to try to open up the path to my forehead which causes the forehead to be blocked and causes you to not smell or taste right. I can smell but I can't taste a thing right, everything I eat tastes bitter, gum, meat, candy, ice. It tastes like I got fur on my tongue and I brush my tongue every day.

Comment from: Worried, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

It looks like my tongue is cut length-wise, you can see the open cut and it doesn't matter what I eat it hurts. I do suffer from dry mouth. My tongue also seems fatter.

Tongue Problems - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your tongue problem?
Tongue Problems - Infants and Children Question: What kind of tongue problem does your infant or young child suffer from?
Tongue Problems - Hairy Tongue Question: Were you diagnosed with hairy tongue? What was the cause?
Tongue Problems - Oral Cancer Question: Have you been diagnosed with oral cancer on your tongue? How are you coping?
Tongue Problems - Leukoplakia Question: Do you have leukoplakia? How did you get rid of it?