Patient Comments: Tongue Problems - Describe Your Problems

Please describe your tongue problems.

Comment from: jannemant, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

The muscles in my tongue on the right-hand side do not work. I have difficulty swallowing on the right-hand side.

Comment from: mouth problem, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 25

I was eating my lunch, and I opened a tuna can that I mixed with salad after I had tofu that I mixed with strawberries overnight. One of these items caused my mouth go almost on fire immediately. I had a reaction: The roof of my mouth had a lesion, my lips inside went white, and my tongue had some bumps like pimples. I have no idea what it was. All of the symptoms eventually went away, but I don't know what caused them.

Comment from: Andrew, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I have redness down the middle of my tongue, about an inch wide. It only happens at night.

Comment from: JoyceT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

My symptom: everything I eat tastes like it has been rolled in artificial sweetener.

Comment from: Andrei, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

About 20 minutes ago I realized that I really feel uncomfortable in my mouth. My tongue seems like became more rough so when I rub it against my gum I feel every single part of it rubbing.

Comment from: gigi, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 04

My son recently had his tonsils and adenoids removed and he is not drinking properly. He now has a white substance on his tongue and small white bumps. They do not appear to be painful as he lets me brush his tongue with a toothbrush.

Comment from: hurtintongue, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 04

Over the past two days, I have experienced extreme soreness on my tongue. I have white patches on the underside of my tongue and the same white patch in the very back of my mouth that is near the throat. I also have painful little white bumps along my lower left gum line. It makes it very difficult to eat and almost my entire mouth is sore.

Comment from: Jessica906, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

My tongue has something similar to geographic tongue but different. My tongue will be perfectly normal and slowly bald patches with appear with red bordering the patches (not white) and then spread until my tongue is completely smooth. It is painfully every time and it does it consistently every 3-4 weeks. I've taken daily pictures to show the progress it makes. This has only been the last 1-2 years of my life. So at least once a month my tongue is really painful and goes completely smooth and then this starts all over.

Comment from: Richard, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

Since having braces in my mouth, I've had persistent problems with my tongue. Over time, my tongue will have random almost like blister effect and can appear white sometimes, it's really not pleasant and it's a concern of mine I've had for a while. Blisters will go from place to place. Sometimes may have a yellow outline of the blister, its not noticeable, but when you look closely. The symptoms are noticeable. I have been to the doctors and they prescribed me Nystatin to see if it was oral thrush, it hasn't cleared up though and it's still worrying me!

Comment from: foxy lady, 65-74 Female Published: April 17

I have had a dry cough for about 3 weeks now. The other night I couldn't stop coughing. I experienced a swelling of the area under my tongue. It caused me to drool a bit and was bright fire-engine red in color. The next day the swelling subsided by mid-day, and has not returned (my cough is also getting better).

Tongue Problems - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your tongue problem?
Tongue Problems - Infants and Children Question: What kind of tongue problem does your infant or young child suffer from?
Tongue Problems - Hairy Tongue Question: Were you diagnosed with hairy tongue? What was the cause?
Tongue Problems - Oral Cancer Question: Have you been diagnosed with oral cancer on your tongue? How are you coping?
Tongue Problems - Leukoplakia Question: Do you have leukoplakia? How did you get rid of it?