Patient Comments: Tongue Problems - Describe Your Problems

Please describe your tongue problems.

Comment from: Navin, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I am facing a problem of bleeding from the top of my tongue. I do not remember of any injury to the tongue. Whenever the bleeding starts, I put an ice cube and press and the bleeding stops.

Comment from: rob, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have a furry tongue, with a slight green tint. Also it feels like mucus with some raised white spots on the back of the tongue. I have had this problem once before and was told it was caused by my smoking. I was given a Z-Pak for bronchitis and sinus infection, but this time the tongue has not cleared up.

Comment from: Kathy S., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I has surgery in August to repair hearing damage in my ear. My taste buds nerve were cut and reconnected, and a prosthetic bone was put in my ear to replace damaged bones. But also there were issues in putting me under. They had trouble with getting the tube down my throat. Since then my tongue and saliva have not been right. My taste came back but I also have a bloody taste in my mouth along with a salty taste at times. My tongue has a whitish green coat on it too. At times I have a dry mouth too.

Comment from: HP, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I frequently have skin cells flaking off of top of the tongue. I catch myself 'harvesting' the flakes and swallowing them. The top of my tongue is mildly irritated beginning about 1 inch from tip. I have had my dentist examine my tongue twice. The second time he called in another dentist in the office for a consultation. He had no knowledge of this issue. He took photos and sent to an oral surgeon. He had no knowledge of my symptoms either. I have made an appointment with an ear, nose and throat specialist for a further exam. Irritation is mild.

Comment from: Frank Lim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

There seems to be a cut on the front of my tongue and it would not heal. It now gets very sensitive whenever I drink or eat anything spicy, sour, hot, almost anything that has a strong taste. I could feel the biting effect into the pores.

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had a biopsy of the left side of my tongue February 12th for a whitish, tender area. The biopsy was negative, apparently inflammation. Still three months later, my tongue is excruciatingly sore. The area that the doctor (ENT) put 2 sutures in has healed about 6 weeks ago, leaving this rolled, small worm-like area about 1 inch long that is sore to eat, talk, and swallow.

Comment from: Bill1234, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I have an irritation on the side of my tongue. I have had a biopsy which came back negative. I had a new crown put in a couple of years ago and that is when it started. However, the dentist does believe I have no allergic reaction to the crown. There are no visible sores.

Comment from: littlemary, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 08

The edges of my tongue are always sore and painful.

Comment from: DO, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

There is an even red border around the top edge of my tongue about a quarter of an inch in width.

Tongue Problems - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your tongue problem?
Tongue Problems - Infants and Children Question: What kind of tongue problem does your infant or young child suffer from?
Tongue Problems - Hairy Tongue Question: Were you diagnosed with hairy tongue? What was the cause?
Tongue Problems - Oral Cancer Question: Have you been diagnosed with oral cancer on your tongue? How are you coping?
Tongue Problems - Leukoplakia Question: Do you have leukoplakia? How did you get rid of it?