Patient Comments: Tongue Problems - Describe Your Problems

Please describe your tongue problems.

Comment from: Bunny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I've had veneers put in a couple of years ago. Over the last few months the tip of my tongue feels like it's been dipped in bleach and can get painful by the end of the day. I wonder if it is due to the veneer ingredients.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had a problem with vaginal itching. I thought I had a vaginal yeast infection and treated it with over the counter medication and now suddenly I have hard, blister-looking sores on the right side at the back of my tongue and the sores on my tongue have little to no pain but, they swell and irritate my throat. I also have ear pain in my right ear.

Comment from: reblyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

About 30 years ago one side of my tongue lost nearly all of the taste buds. Half of my tongue was slick. No pain or swelling so I didn't go to a doctor. Problem cured itself in a couple of months. It has not happened again. No known trigger.

Comment from: demetria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have a problem with my tongue for 3 months now and I am really suffering too much. I visited many doctors and nobody found out what the problem is. Once or twice a year this problem appears. It begins with pain when moving my tongue deep inside my mouth and after one or two days I begin scratching my tongue around with my teeth. It is very painful and none of the doctors I visited found out what the problem is so as to give me the correct meditation. I am 50 years old and since I was 28 years old I have been taking antidepressants without stop. I am also in my menopause.

Comment from: Cidnee Elise J., 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 65 years old. I was diagnosed at age 40 with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I also suffer with Sjogren's syndrome and was diagnosed diabetic type II in 2013. In November 2014 I was diagnosed with oral lichen planus with pre-cancer cells in my left cheek. I was prescribed Magic mouthwash and Oracort which does help with the burning mouth. Within the last 3 or 4 months I have been getting sharp pains in my tongue. It feels like a razor blade cutting several times over a couple hours period of time. This has happened to me approximately 6 to 8 times in total. It is very painful. I don't know what the sudden cause of this pain is, especially targeting my tongue.

Comment from: Paula001, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

My problem started with swelling gums and bleeding from gums (sometimes, not always). I also experienced soreness, burning and whitish mass deposition in the tongue. I has it checked with a dentist. He thoroughly cleaned my gums by injecting local anesthesia and scraping the gums. He took 6 days for it, cleaning different areas of the gums on different days. Now, almost 6 months after the clean-up, my gums don't swell and bleed but the problems of my tongue remain same, no matter how much I take care of my oral cleanliness. I also have trouble chewing a bit hard foods.

Comment from: DeeLee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have gluten allergy. What doctors and dentists won't tell you because a lot of them don't know, is that gluten and soy can cause mouth and tongue sores and pain, swelling and sores. While on a special diet prior to surgery I was placed on a starch free diet; only natural foods. After 9 days my mouth sores that I had been trying to cure for 1 year including having a biopsy leading to no diagnosis or cure, went away. After 2 weeks I tested by eating bread and the mouth sores started that evening. It took me three days back on the diet to flush the gluten out of my system. The sores on my mouth and tongue are gone for good. I also found soy to be a problem as well as MSG. It give me headaches and joint pains.

Tongue Problems - Treatments Question: What treatment did you receive for your tongue problem?
Tongue Problems - Infants and Children Question: What kind of tongue problem does your infant or young child suffer from?
Tongue Problems - Hairy Tongue Question: Were you diagnosed with hairy tongue? What was the cause?
Tongue Problems - Oral Cancer Question: Have you been diagnosed with oral cancer on your tongue? How are you coping?
Tongue Problems - Leukoplakia Question: Do you have leukoplakia? How did you get rid of it?