GENERIC NAME: tolazamide
DISCONTINUED BRAND NAME: Tolinase
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Tolazamide is used with diet and exercise to reduce blood glucose levels in adult patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Side effects associated with tolazamide therapy include:
- Increase sensitivity to the sunlight (photophobia),
- Sensations of stomach fullness
- Muscle weakness
- Water loss from the body (diuresis)
Possible serious side effects of tolazamide include:
- Disulfiram (Antabuse)-like reactions (for example, severe flushing accompanied by low blood pressure (hypotension) and tachycardia
- Low blood glucose
- Low blood sodium
- Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)
- Blood disorders
- Liver dysfunction
Quick GuideBest and Worst Meals: Pictures and Tips for Diabetes-Savvy Dining
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.