Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with tinnitus?

Comment from: Elly Luff, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I hear music; certain songs over and over again, only when I am alone. The tinnitus stops when watching TV or while listening to radio. I have a hearing aid. I have musical ear syndrome (MES).

Comment from: lucy1056507, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

My mother has had tinnitus for at least 5 years now, heard lots of noises as loud as a lawn mower. Recently, she says she"s been hearing music instead, the same song over and over. She says it's driving her crazy.

Comment from: jakebear, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 08

Tinnitus caused long time hearing loss in left ear. I hear constant ringing noise but it seems from both ears. I have recently experienced dizziness.

Comment from: tomlane261, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have a constant ringing of the ears that will sometimes lessen for brief periods to the point where I can hardly hear the ringing.

Comment from: mae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had tinnitus for fifteen years with I a high pitched two tone sound, and have learned to ignore the ringing. Two months ago another sound was added, a deep tone that has a sporadic rhythm, that mimics human speech. It varies from soft and muted, to painfully clear, and loud. After trying sound machines, ear plugs, my hearing aid, and meditation, I have a difficult time sleeping. My MRI shows no brain tumor, I am not schizophrenic, and my GP and Audiologist can offer no help. I had a difficult root canal in an upper molar right before this began and wonder if this could contribute to this sudden onslaught of tinnitus.

Comment from: Trish, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I have tinnitus and am scared I have a brain tumor, but was wondering if tinnitus can be a symptom for neck problems.

Comment from: uman, 19-24 Male Published: March 11

I had fungus in my left ear about 18 months ago.so i was having cleaning exercises by ENT twice a week. The fungus went away within a month. But what I got in return was that whistling sound in my ear. So in my case those hard sessions of cleaning ignited the cause.

Comment from: mita, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a retired builder. Working around skill saw noises 12 hours a day; I found it necessary to have my ears checked. The test result shows that I loss about 75 percent of my hearing. While I am watching TV, I would have the volume turned up to 100, that is without the hearing aids on and 50 volumes. It is now March the tenth and i have had this ringing in my ears since February 12. So I am the new boy on the street .You can imagine how confused I was. I am waiting to see the specialist. Yes by wearing my hearing aids I have deadened the noise to the point that I can cope.

Tinnitus - Cause Question: What was the cause of your case of tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Prevention Question: What steps have you taken to prevent tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Remedies Question: What type of therapy or remedies have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Relief Therapy Question: What therapies have you found to lessen the symptoms of tinnitus?