Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Cause

What was the cause of your case of tinnitus?

A Doctor's View on Tinnitus Causes

Read the Comment by John P. Cunha, DO, FACOEP

Tinnitus may be caused by trauma, or often, underlying medical conditions. Dr. Cunha discusses treatments and therapies that you may find helpful in managing tinnitus, relieving symptoms, and dealing with the depression and anxiety that often accompanies living with tinnitus. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: 412mrg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

A fire alarm in a senior citizen care caused my tinnitus. I was a fire fighter answering a call to this care center, and after I came out of the structure I had a humming in my ears because it was so loud in the structure. They was 6 years ago and it is still with me, it changes octaves for short periods of time but I dread it is with me for life.

Comment from: GoVegan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

Vitamin B6 toxicity caused my tinnitus. Four years ago after taking a multivitamin with a mere 2 mg of B6, nerve-related symptoms appeared. They progressively got worse and worse as misdiagnosis prevailed. Until my B6 levels were checked and found to be over quadruple normal range I suffered increasing nerve damage. The tinnitus began six months after my first symptoms. It is still present all day, every day.

Comment from: C Grant, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My symptoms are a pulsating flow or rush sound in my ears. On occasions I hear a buzzing or ringing sound, however the pulsating sound is constant. I have been on lisinopril for high blood pressure for roughly four years and am wondering if this is the root of my problem. I am also a singer pianist and wonder if that could have something to do with the noise. There are times when I think perhaps it may have stemmed from the sinus problems I use to have. I would suffer terribly during the spring and fall seasons with a runny nose. My sinus problems then suddenly went away. I am thinking, since the inflammation is no longer running out, if possibly it's collecting in my nasal cavity and causing the pulsating noise. However I feel that the most likely cause is the lisinopril which might have brought on medication toxicity. My sentiments stem from the fact that the problem started after being on these pills for a year or so. The pills seem to have helped with my runny sinus problem as well as blood pressure. But the pulsating in my ears have gotten worse since being on the lisinopril. In the beginning I just didn't relate the symptoms to the pills.

Comment from: djdouglas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

Working around loud machinery caused my tinnitus.

Comment from: Lizz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

When I was younger I was prone to recurring ear infections, which caused scarring on my ear drum and perhaps my inner ear. I have slight hearing loss in my right ear (affected ear). When swimming I got water in my right ear and I could not get it out and therefore got an ear infection from it. The water in my ear caused it to ring and it seemed to never stop (this was December 2009 it is now September 2014). I have gone to many doctors and specialists about it but not much seems to help. For relief I use acupuncture and massage on my head to help relive sinus and most of the tinnitus. I also regularly take sinus tablets (I am prone to a buildup in my sinuses and when this occurs the ringing worsens). I also take Ginkgo Biloba which is a natural medication that works on improving blood flow. This helps it, sort of.

Comment from: Brenda 50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

On 9/28/2015 my granddaughter came home from school not feeling well. Through the night she vomited multiple times. She stayed home on 9/29 and continued with nausea and vomiting. Today she continues to have severe nausea. She displays no appetite, and a slight sore throat. Three of her close school friends are presenting the same symptoms of gastroenteritis. One now has a 102 fever. I have been experiencing nausea and severe abdominal cramping with diarrhea for 3 days, no fever.

Tinnitus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Prevention Question: What steps have you taken to prevent tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Remedies Question: What type of therapy or remedies have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Relief Therapy Question: What therapies have you found to lessen the symptoms of tinnitus?