Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Relief Remedies

Please share home remedies for relieving tinnitus.

Comment from: Go-Diva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

At age 73 I have collected a variety of incurables, tinnitus being the most annoying. My attempts to remove the noises have been many and varied, and my best removers of said noises are, a visit to the sea; apart from the fact that I love the sea it de-stresses me. And the best remedy is to use a Walkman and buy yourself some talking books, you can also borrow them from the libraries. More tablets will probably only cause different side effects that need sorting. I suppose we, should be happy that it is not a terminal illness.

Comment from: asha iyer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I put both my thumbs behind the lower parts of both ears and pressed and lo! The noises went down and all other sounds too diminished as if I"d thrust ear plugs. It"s nice to find relief from tinnitus even for a few seconds, see, you can"t be sitting with your thumbs pressing your ears all the time.

Comment from: Buzzer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have endured tinnitus for almost three years, one ear to begin with, then the other one joined in. Noises vary in different levels, one ear in particular seems to run its own orchestra. I have found that by tapping just above the eyebrow, when the volume increases in said ear, the extra noise stops. Needless to say the tapping is not done in public, for obvious reasons. I find that Radio 4 helps at bedtime, I fall asleep through boredom.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I have suffered from tinnitus for years. I found that at times it was worse (louder) and at times not as bad (softer). I read that using the artificial sweetener Aspartame can cause tinnitus. I began to not use it at all and started checking the foods I ate. For me, the symptoms have gotten better.

Comment from: Nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had mild ringing in ears for some years. During the past six months it has increased to a high-pitched buzzing, which makes sleeping difficult. I have tried one of those "soothing" sounds clock radios. After tests and an MRI, I was told by the ENT doctor there is nothing more they can do. I'm currently seeing an acupuncturist and am hoping it will provide some relief.

Comment from: Bill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Like Wes, I have found that rotating my outer ears, or mildly pulsating the internal ear canal for about 10 seconds helps reduce the tinnitus ring for a few minutes.

Comment from: wes, Male Published: April 08

I have found that rubbing my ears in a circular motion seems to help in relieving my tinnitus.

Comment from: uman, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I have noticed that after going out in very cool weather or after bathing, sound get louder and that night gets very difficult to sleep. So I now use ear pads while bathing trying to protect ears from cold weather by putting on cap. And it has worked for me considerably. And I also avoid now using loud headphones. Hope it works for you people as well.

Tinnitus - Cause Question: What was the cause of your case of tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Treatment Question: What treatments have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Prevention Question: What steps have you taken to prevent tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Remedies Question: What type of therapy or remedies have been effective in treating tinnitus?
Tinnitus - Relief Therapy Question: What therapies have you found to lessen the symptoms of tinnitus?