- Hearing Ringing in Your Ears?
- Take the Ear Infection Quiz
- Overcoming a Balance Disorder
- Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Cause
- Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Prevention
- Patient Comments: Tinnitus - Remedies
- Find a local Ear, Nose, & Throat Doctor in your town
- Tinnitus facts
- What causes tinnitus?
- What does the anatomy of the ear look like?
- What are the symptoms of tinnitus?
- What kind of doctor treats tinnitus?
- How is tinnitus diagnosed?
- What are the treatments for tinnitus?
- What home remedies soothe tinnitus symptoms?
- What medications treat tinnitus?
- Is there surgery to cure tinnitus?
- What is retraining therapy and relief therapy?
- Does acupuncture treat tinnitus symptoms?
- Can tinnitus be prevented?
- What's being done in research on tinnitus treatments?
Quick GuideTinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing?
Is there surgery to cure tinnitus?
Surgery may be a cure for certain people who have:
- Meniere's disease (characterized by tinnitus, vertigo, and decreased hearing)
- Tinnitus due to glomus tumors
- Acoustic neuromas
- Sigmoid sinus diverticulum or arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
What is retraining therapy and relief therapy?
There are some behavioral and cognitive therapies that have been successful in treating tinnitus. Seeking out a multidisciplinary program at a medical center that specializes in tinnitus may improve treatment success.
Tinnitus retraining therapy is a form of treatment that tries to retrain the nerve pathways associated with hearing that may allow the brain to get used to the abnormal sounds. Habituation allows the brain to ignore the tinnitus noise signal, and it allows the person to become unaware that it is present unless they specifically concentrate on the noise. This treatment involves counseling and wearing a sound generator. Audiologists and otolaryngologists often work together in offering this treatment.
In addition to tinnitus retraining therapy, other treatments exist which attempt to relieve tinnitus such as relief therapy, and each affected individual may benefit differently depending upon the cause of the tinnitus and their response to treatment. Some other treatment options include the following:
- Stress reduction
- Depression counseling
- Electrical stimulation for patients with hearing loss
Does acupuncture treat tinnitus symptoms?
While scientific research has not shown the benefit of acupuncture in the treatment of tinnitus, there may be a significant positive placebo effect.