Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?

Comment from: Twags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had tinea versicolor for many, many years. I have always played sports and been an avid beachgoer all of my life. Selsun Blue does not work for me as quickly as I would like and it smells awful, however a very good dermatologist prescribed the Nizoral pills. He told me to take 2 of them with food, sweat off 30 minutes later, let the sweat dry on my body and not shower for 24 hours. This took the spots away almost immediately. I will be asking my doctor for a new prescription.

Comment from: soul, (Patient) Published: January 22

Frequent bath in sulfur powder plus Epsom salt soak is effective for tinea versicolor. Although effective I hate sulfur ointment because of the sticky 'granule-y dirty feeling' right after shower and hate the neem oil because of such strong garlic smell. In the evening at home I want to smell nice not repulsive to people around me so these 2 treatment options I couldn't do it. So the bottom line, I use these essential oils into aloe vera gel or fractionated coconut butter: oregano, sage, tea tree oil being must, (if money is not a concern add lavender, palmarosa and geranium. They are all antifungals and nature's perfume). Both aloe vera gel and fractionated coconut butter dry quick so in 10 to 20 minutes I put on my pajamas.

Comment from: ladybug, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had tinea versicolor (TV) since my teenage years and since the recent flare ups in adulthood, simple OTC antifungal creams like found in the dollar tree and the 88 cent Walmart brand work just fine. If I use them at the first sign of reoccurrence it fades rather quickly. If I let it take over my back, neck, and chest, it takes longer to fade but the itching subsides quickly. It also helps when I shower directly after sweating as fungus thrives on sweat and that"s what TV is.

Comment from: funinthesun, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have never been to a dermatologist for tinea versicolor but all my symptoms are identical to ones that people diagnosed have described. I've had it for years and it just keeps spreading. I have tried Selsun Blue and that seemed to help but I was going through it quickly and now they don't carry it at my grocery anymore. I can't find any over the counter products with selenium sulfide, ketoconazole, or pyrithione zinc. I know there used to be a product called Zunspot but I don't think they make that anymore. I wonder if yeast balancing supplements might help.

Comment from: Itch-e-n-scratch-e, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I was first diagnosed in 1985 with tinea versicolor while in the US Navy. The corpsman (similar to nurse practitioner) did a skin scraping to identify it. He said it has a nick-name in medical school as 'spaghetti and meatballs' because of how it looks. Because I was in the Submarine Navy there were more people than there were beds, hence we shared (hot rack). Because of this he said I could no longer share bunks because it is contagious when using the same bed. After leaving the military it came back with a vengeance while I was working in a very hot plastic extrusion factory. During this time I was noticing that the tinea was spreading on my skin due I think to the very high factory temperatures. A number of times I experienced what felt like sweat rolling up my back. I think this was a large number of tinea raising because hot air raises. The insurance group doctor said he did not see anything on my back, neck or arms and would not give me a prescription. He finally got so tired of me saying it feels like bugs are crawling on my skin that he gave in and prescribed a shampoo that it turns out was for head lice and body lice. He had me on that for three bottles per month for one year. It wasn't until I changed to Veterans Administration doctors that they are treating me with 2.5 percent selenium sulfide and 2 percent ketoconazole.

Comment from: FaerieWoman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've had tinea versicolor for nearly 12 years. I first saw a spot on my belly when I was pregnant with my daughter but didn't think anything of it. Around the time she turned two years old, the rash started spreading. They gave me creams and told me to try the Selsun Blue thing, but I couldn't afford to keep up with it and was going through some difficult years. These days I use clotrimazole cream but it's hard to reach some of the spots on my back. I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar next time I take a shower!

Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.
Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?