Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?

Comment from: WILLIAM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I put pure bleach on a rag standing in the shower out of the water. Scrub hard, then wet the rag and scrub some more. Feel the burn, get under the water. It is extreme, but works in 2 applications. Believe me, I have tried everything else. It always returns every year. Be careful, it is bleach.

Comment from: WILLIAM, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I put pure bleach on a rag standing in the shower out of the water. Scrub hard, then wet the rag and scrub some more. When you feel the burn, get under the water. It is extreme, but works for tinea versicolor in 2 applications. Believe me I have tried everything else. It always returns every year. Be careful, it is bleach.

Comment from: Kara99, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had white scaliness on upper arms during one winter. I told the dermatologist that the tinea versicolor was better after a couple of tanning bed visits before a winter vacation. Dermatologist explained it is a yeast thing, fixed by sunlight and the tanning bed mimicked the sun during the winter. He told me he shouldn't probably tell me that the tanning bed might help. It never returned after the sunny vacation.

Comment from: Average Joe, Male (Patient) Published: January 06

I have severe tinea versicolor and have had so for years. I have never permanently gotten rid of it however I can treat it and get it off my skin when need be and it usually stays away for 3 to 9 months at a time. As suggested using extra strength Selsun Blue 2.5 once or twice daily doesn't really work. I apply a liberal amount 4 times a day and leave it on for twenty to thirty minutes, repeating this for 4 days and the fungus is eliminated. It stinks and it is inconvenient but it works. I have tried everything possible and this is the only way I can get rid of it for months at a time.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

As child in Chicago in winter months I suffer with psoriasis behind my ears and sides of my nose. My mom treated it with an ointment by Tegrin which is no longer OTC. Many years later I now have tinea versicolor. I didn't know what it was until my neighbor gave me selenium to try and it worked wonders. Later I went to the doctor with the same symptoms and requested the selenium shampoo. He reluctantly did and when I followed up he was surprised by the results. What depresses me the most is that my outbreaks are on my face; and every now and then, I get a spot between my breasts. This time it came back sooner, I wonder if it can be something I am eating. You think having this on your body is bad; facial tinea is a lot worse.

Comment from: Twags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had tinea versicolor for many, many years. I have always played sports and been an avid beachgoer all of my life. Selsun Blue does not work for me as quickly as I would like and it smells awful, however a very good dermatologist prescribed the Nizoral pills. He told me to take 2 of them with food, sweat off 30 minutes later, let the sweat dry on my body and not shower for 24 hours. This took the spots away almost immediately. I will be asking my doctor for a new prescription.

Comment from: soul, (Patient) Published: January 22

Frequent bath in sulfur powder plus Epsom salt soak is effective for tinea versicolor. Although effective I hate sulfur ointment because of the sticky 'granule-y dirty feeling' right after shower and hate the neem oil because of such strong garlic smell. In the evening at home I want to smell nice not repulsive to people around me so these 2 treatment options I couldn't do it. So the bottom line, I use these essential oils into aloe vera gel or fractionated coconut butter: oregano, sage, tea tree oil being must, (if money is not a concern add lavender, palmarosa and geranium. They are all antifungals and nature's perfume). Both aloe vera gel and fractionated coconut butter dry quick so in 10 to 20 minutes I put on my pajamas.

Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.
Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?