Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?

Comment from: Itch-e-n-scratch-e, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 13

I was first diagnosed in 1985 with tinea versicolor while in the US Navy. The corpsman (similar to nurse practitioner) did a skin scraping to identify it. He said it has a nick-name in medical school as 'spaghetti and meatballs' because of how it looks. Because I was in the Submarine Navy there were more people than there were beds, hence we shared (hot rack). Because of this he said I could no longer share bunks because it is contagious when using the same bed. After leaving the military it came back with a vengeance while I was working in a very hot plastic extrusion factory. During this time I was noticing that the tinea was spreading on my skin due I think to the very high factory temperatures. A number of times I experienced what felt like sweat rolling up my back. I think this was a large number of tinea raising because hot air raises. The insurance group doctor said he did not see anything on my back, neck or arms and would not give me a prescription. He finally got so tired of me saying it feels like bugs are crawling on my skin that he gave in and prescribed a shampoo that it turns out was for head lice and body lice. He had me on that for three bottles per month for one year. It wasn't until I changed to Veterans Administration doctors that they are treating me with 2.5 percent selenium sulfide and 2 percent ketoconazole.

Comment from: FaerieWoman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I've had tinea versicolor for nearly 12 years. I first saw a spot on my belly when I was pregnant with my daughter but didn't think anything of it. Around the time she turned two years old, the rash started spreading. They gave me creams and told me to try the Selsun Blue thing, but I couldn't afford to keep up with it and was going through some difficult years. These days I use clotrimazole cream but it's hard to reach some of the spots on my back. I'm going to try the apple cider vinegar next time I take a shower!

Comment from: Lady 100, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I suffered with the outbreak a little over 10 years ago when I was carrying my first child and I didn't know what it was. I ran into a woman about two years later that said she suffered with it as well but she didn't have any sightings on her skin and I asked what she had used. She told me she used an antifungal pill called Fluconazole and Selenium Sulfide shampoo. I went to my doctor and explain to him what I had heard and after he check my allergies he proscribed the pill and topical and it disappeared for about 3 years and came back but I went back to my doctor and got another prescription and haven't seen it again.

Comment from: ab, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I have dealt with this for about 10 years. I have found that a sulfur ointment can really help control a small outbreak. Be sure to cover a larger area than just where the spots are. It's also great for your skin. However if it's serious I was given a prescription for nizoral oral tablets and that cleared it right up. It also helps me to control it before it starts by limiting the amount of sugars in my diet.

Comment from: Versicolor sufferer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I've tried Clinical Strength Head and Shoulders with 1% Selenium Sulfide, 1% Clotrimazole antifungal cream, 2% Miconazole Nitrate anti-fungal skin treatment, and Banana Boat Kids SPF50+. The Selenium Sulfide helped for a while and then because ineffective within weeks. The only thing that seems to work long term is continual use of the Banana Boat sunscreen. The active ingredients are Homosalate 15%, Octinoxate7.5%, and Octisalate 5%.

Comment from: Dixie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have had Tinea Versicolor since i was in my teens. My father has it as well as my brother. Its mainly on our back and now around my breast as well as pubic area. It is a major issue for me now that it is spreading up my neck towards my face. I have tried many things in the form of shampoos and prescription creams but it smells awful and is hard to apply to all areas. I live in Alabama which is not the ideal place for such a problem. Now that I see there is an oral prescription, I will definitely be looking in to it! Thanks so much, glad to know there are more options!!

Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.
Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?