Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Comment from: jhall6293, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

My personal experience with tinea versicolor started in 2011. I wasn't sure what it was at first (I figured it was tinea), so I went to the doctor and he confirmed that it was, indeed. He told me to not worry, and to use a topical medication in the form of athlete's foot cream, terbinafine, clotrimazole or miconazole, every night after my shower and in the morning. I used terbinafine first, which did not work. I decided to start using the -azole products. I found an athlete's foot spray containing miconazole and started spraying it on after my shower. I did some research because this wasn't working on its own. I ended up purchasing a bottle of tea tree oil (100 percent pharmaceutical grade). I started using the tea tree oil at night after showering. It has a strong, astringent-like smell, not horrible, just strong. So, I was spraying my skin with the miconazole in the mornings and applying tea tree oil at night. This started to kill the tinea versicolor. I again got noticeable splotches of tinea in 2012. I remembered my treatment regimen from 2011, but decided to make an alteration. The tea tree oil was somewhat difficult to manage, so I mixed some tea tree oil with a bit of Aquaphor. I kept this concoction in a small, lidded container. I started to notice that the tea tree oil/Aquaphor mixture alone was taking care of my tinea. I stopped using all other topical creams and used only the tea tree oil salve. After 2-3 weeks the tinea was dead. I didn't see it in 2013 or 2014, but this past year (2015) I noticed some splotches on my neck and chest and immediately mixed up a batch of 'tea tree oil ointment.' This was about a month ago and now the tinea is gone again! I always keep tea tree oil on hand now, it is a great antifungal/antibacterial agent and I rely on it for tinea outbreaks.

Comment from: moon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I've had tinea versicolor a long time. I find changing the anti-fungal cream I use helps, but my favorite is tea tree oil. It also helps with the flakiness as tea tree oil helps with dandruff. I've recently been shown a patchouli oil cream that has been helping some, but not near like the teat tree oil. Research your anti-viral and anti-fungal herbs. There's no cure so find what works best for you and remember, it may be more than one little old thing you do!

Comment from: sayre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had tinea versicolor since I was a child. It started as just some small white spots on my back and didn't bother me until I reached puberty between 10 and 12. Once that hit, the spots spread like wild fire. I finally saw a dermatologist who diagnosed me with tinea and prescribed me with all the usual creams, shampoos and pills; nothing worked. I am now 25 and the spots have spread covering most of my back in a large patch that is very dark and when I wear dark clothing it pulls the dye from the fabric making me look bruised and beaten. It is also on my shoulders, arms, under my breasts, my stomach, pubic region, butt cheeks, scalp, thighs, and legs. I am constantly scratching most of the time to the point where I scratch myself open especially on my chest. I also find that I am getting more yeast infections as it spreads south. I hate this disease more than anything. It makes me feel dirty, disfigured and self-conscious!

Comment from: Jenm2140, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had tinea versicolor for 30 years, and like everyone else have tried various types of treatment to no avail. One type of treatment I have tried with much success is a tanning bed. I know it is not good for your skin in general but in 3 sessions the patches were gone. It is the only thing that works for me. I thought I would share.

Comment from: Makha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Tinea versicolor first appeared in 2012. I've had it three times now and this time is the worst. The first time I went to get it checked, the doctor said there was nothing he could give me, that it would eventually fade away and not to scratch or it would create permanent scarring (thankfully it wasn't itchy). I had applied Bio-Oil every day (usually twice a day) to help the patches fade away. It worked great. The second time I had it, It was a little worse. I went to a dermatologist who has prescribed me ketoconazole Shampoo. By the time I had gone to the dermatologist, my patches had slightly begun to fade away so the shampoo did work. I now have it a third time (9 months later) and this is the worst it has ever been. It is all over my neck, under arms, chest, stomach, back, little ones in my inner upper thighs, and some on my inner elbow. The last two times I've had it there was no itch, this time I wake up at night scratching myself silly. I don't know if the shampoo is supposed to suppress the scratching, if it is then it's not working! The itching has subsided (now that the scabbing/patches have finally made their way all over my body). I've started to use both the shampoo and oil at least once a day and the cream twice a day. I'm hoping to see some sort of result in about a week's time. Sigh.

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?