Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Comment from: mh20vz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My tinea versicolor flares up when I eat a lot of sugar. I quit sugar and it went mostly away but if I cheat on my no-sugar diet, it gets really red and itchy.

Comment from: Missy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have tinea versicolor and have had it for about 4 years. Don't waste your money on lotions, creams, etc., a simple homemade recipe is all you need; apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil and coconut oil. Mix it all up in a spray bottle, and spray affected area 3 times a day. In a few weeks they will be gone. I mix about 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 4 to 5 drops tea tree oil, and 1 tbsp. coconut oil.

Comment from: Srob, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had tinea versicolor for 6 years! I have found switching treatments every time helps! I soak in Selsun blue shampoo once a month! I do not put on fragrance lotion or oily lotion, I use banana boat after sun lotion. It seems to help a lot and has stopped the spots from popping up! Another treatment I use is athlete's foot cream, which seems to help! And even though I think tea tree oil is an awful smell it works too!

Comment from: jhall6293, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

My personal experience with tinea versicolor started in 2011. I wasn't sure what it was at first (I figured it was tinea), so I went to the doctor and he confirmed that it was, indeed. He told me to not worry, and to use a topical medication in the form of athlete's foot cream, terbinafine, clotrimazole or miconazole, every night after my shower and in the morning. I used terbinafine first, which did not work. I decided to start using the -azole products. I found an athlete's foot spray containing miconazole and started spraying it on after my shower. I did some research because this wasn't working on its own. I ended up purchasing a bottle of tea tree oil (100 percent pharmaceutical grade). I started using the tea tree oil at night after showering. It has a strong, astringent-like smell, not horrible, just strong. So, I was spraying my skin with the miconazole in the mornings and applying tea tree oil at night. This started to kill the tinea versicolor. I again got noticeable splotches of tinea in 2012. I remembered my treatment regimen from 2011, but decided to make an alteration. The tea tree oil was somewhat difficult to manage, so I mixed some tea tree oil with a bit of Aquaphor. I kept this concoction in a small, lidded container. I started to notice that the tea tree oil/Aquaphor mixture alone was taking care of my tinea. I stopped using all other topical creams and used only the tea tree oil salve. After 2-3 weeks the tinea was dead. I didn't see it in 2013 or 2014, but this past year (2015) I noticed some splotches on my neck and chest and immediately mixed up a batch of 'tea tree oil ointment.' This was about a month ago and now the tinea is gone again! I always keep tea tree oil on hand now, it is a great antifungal/antibacterial agent and I rely on it for tinea outbreaks.

Comment from: moon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I've had tinea versicolor a long time. I find changing the anti-fungal cream I use helps, but my favorite is tea tree oil. It also helps with the flakiness as tea tree oil helps with dandruff. I've recently been shown a patchouli oil cream that has been helping some, but not near like the teat tree oil. Research your anti-viral and anti-fungal herbs. There's no cure so find what works best for you and remember, it may be more than one little old thing you do!

Comment from: sayre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had tinea versicolor since I was a child. It started as just some small white spots on my back and didn't bother me until I reached puberty between 10 and 12. Once that hit, the spots spread like wild fire. I finally saw a dermatologist who diagnosed me with tinea and prescribed me with all the usual creams, shampoos and pills; nothing worked. I am now 25 and the spots have spread covering most of my back in a large patch that is very dark and when I wear dark clothing it pulls the dye from the fabric making me look bruised and beaten. It is also on my shoulders, arms, under my breasts, my stomach, pubic region, butt cheeks, scalp, thighs, and legs. I am constantly scratching most of the time to the point where I scratch myself open especially on my chest. I also find that I am getting more yeast infections as it spreads south. I hate this disease more than anything. It makes me feel dirty, disfigured and self-conscious!

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?