Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Comment from: sayre, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had tinea versicolor since I was a child. It started as just some small white spots on my back and didn't bother me until I reached puberty between 10 and 12. Once that hit, the spots spread like wild fire. I finally saw a dermatologist who diagnosed me with tinea and prescribed me with all the usual creams, shampoos and pills; nothing worked. I am now 25 and the spots have spread covering most of my back in a large patch that is very dark and when I wear dark clothing it pulls the dye from the fabric making me look bruised and beaten. It is also on my shoulders, arms, under my breasts, my stomach, pubic region, butt cheeks, scalp, thighs, and legs. I am constantly scratching most of the time to the point where I scratch myself open especially on my chest. I also find that I am getting more yeast infections as it spreads south. I hate this disease more than anything. It makes me feel dirty, disfigured and self-conscious!

Comment from: Jenm2140, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had tinea versicolor for 30 years, and like everyone else have tried various types of treatment to no avail. One type of treatment I have tried with much success is a tanning bed. I know it is not good for your skin in general but in 3 sessions the patches were gone. It is the only thing that works for me. I thought I would share.

Comment from: Makha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Tinea versicolor first appeared in 2012. I've had it three times now and this time is the worst. The first time I went to get it checked, the doctor said there was nothing he could give me, that it would eventually fade away and not to scratch or it would create permanent scarring (thankfully it wasn't itchy). I had applied Bio-Oil every day (usually twice a day) to help the patches fade away. It worked great. The second time I had it, It was a little worse. I went to a dermatologist who has prescribed me ketoconazole Shampoo. By the time I had gone to the dermatologist, my patches had slightly begun to fade away so the shampoo did work. I now have it a third time (9 months later) and this is the worst it has ever been. It is all over my neck, under arms, chest, stomach, back, little ones in my inner upper thighs, and some on my inner elbow. The last two times I've had it there was no itch, this time I wake up at night scratching myself silly. I don't know if the shampoo is supposed to suppress the scratching, if it is then it's not working! The itching has subsided (now that the scabbing/patches have finally made their way all over my body). I've started to use both the shampoo and oil at least once a day and the cream twice a day. I'm hoping to see some sort of result in about a week's time. Sigh.

Comment from: Mitchp12, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

After being diagnosed with tinea versicolor for several years, I've successfully treated it with Selsun Blue. However, I apply it as a thick paste over my stomach, arms and back for at least an hour before rinsing it off. After about 2 weeks of applying the medication daily, the fungus begins to diminish. After about 2 years, I can tell its active when I'm in a steamy shower or in the high humidity here in the South and I begin to itch usually on my left arm. A small puffy patch begins to lighten and if left untreated, begins to spread. Going to the beach with no shirt turns me into a leopard by the end of the week.

Comment from: Aly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am 22 years old and have tinea versicolor since I was 19. At first, I had no clue what it was. Being a broke college student, I didn't confirm what it was until recently. The worst part of having it, besides being splotchy, is the constant looks I get for having a 'hickey' on my neck and then trying to explain 'no, it's just an overgrowth of fungus'. No, thank you. I tend to just call it a stress rash, due to its flare up in stressful situations. When my spots turned from their normal pink color to a dark brown in one day, I decided to see a doctor. They prescribed me a tiny tube of ointment for my entire back/arms/chest region and it worked wonders for the two days that it lasted! Now, a few weeks later, it is back and has spread to places that aren't as easily covered (arms, neck, face!). I had been trying to use Selsun Blue, but when I told the doctor that he laughed at me and said that it was useless. Next step is antifungal cream. I cannot afford to pay $20 for a doctor's appointment and $15 for prescription every time it shows up! If anyone has something over-the counter that has worked great for them, let me know. I am up for trying anything.

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?