Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Published: July 15

I've had tinea versicolor for years now, and the only thing that I've found to help the spots go away is to use Benzoyl Peroxide. After trying the shampoo and it not working, I started experimenting with things, and noticed that Zap-Zit acne cream was causing the spots to lighten and eventually go away. Now I just buy store-brand 10% Benzoyl Peroxide cream and slather it on thickly before bed for several days, and after a week or so, the spots start to fade and then go away. It usually stays away for at least six months, but if I notice any coming back, I just spot treat them with the acne cream. I get it very bad in the summer months in any area that I may sweat, such as my neck, back, chest and upper arms. My sister has it also, but she gets the white spots, while I get the brown. It's actually a very common condition in tropical areas, but being from the Northeast, it's quite embarrassing to try and wear a tank top or bathing suit in the summer with the spots!

Comment from: me, 25-34 (Patient) Published: April 03

I went to the doctor yesterday for wellness exam he prescribed selenium sulfide for tinea versicolor. I used it last night and can already see a huge difference.

Comment from: Meenu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Please try using Rezole, ketoconazole soap instead of tablets for tinea versicolor. Using this soap daily has helped me and I am sure will help you too.

Comment from: 1111, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

Anti-fungal cream works for tinea versicolor, costs about 3 dollars. Apply every morning after you shower and after a week all spots are gone.

Comment from: tiredofspotsmom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

Both my husband and myself developed this annoyance at the same time over four years ago. I refuse to believe it is not contagious as at the time we had few similarities other than physical contact. We have tried lotrimin, jock itch cream, and many other solutions, and it remains. When we were first diagnosed we were prescribed a cream that worked for a few months. Swimming in the ocean seems to help when we can make it.

Comment from: julie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I've had tinea versicolor for maybe 4 or 5 years, and at first I didn't really mind because i was a chubby 14 year girl. However, now as an adult I want it gone. My doctor prescribed selenium sulfide, but it is drying out my skin and it looks so horrible. Is this normal? It is so embarrassing to be spotted all over your back, stomach, thighs and neck. Any success stories?

Comment from: jgray626, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I am 18 years old. I have had tinea v for about 4 years. I first discovered it on my stomach then as the years went it spread to my back, arm pits, and the back of my knees. I went to the beach for a week and after laying out for the day I discovered the discolored spots spread bad all over my stomach. So I went to my doctor and they gave me two ketoconazole tablets. I was told id see progress within 10 days. I have yet to see any difference of it going away. Can any help me with other suggestions or tips in making it clear up?!?!?!

Comment from: Tina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with tinea versicolor 3 months age. I've had it for about a year and a half. It's mainly around my waist. The active spots are red, scaly and extremely itchy. The inactive spots are silver, pearly, and flaky. My most recent flare-up occurred after I went swimming. My doctor prescribed fluconazole pills and my pharmacist gave me the instructions to not get sweaty and not drink any alcohol. I did this, and the spots got better, but came back after about a month. I've also tried selsun blue (slather it on, wait 10 minutes, wash it off), which helps relieve the itching, but doesn't make it go away. I'm going to keep trying things until I find something that really works. Next on my list: apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, Lamisil, Lotrimin AF.

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?