Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Comment from: Dragonlassie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have fought a life long battle with tinea versicolor and onychomycosis. I have had too many oral treatments and the risk of the side effects and the fact that it always returns closes that avenue to me. I have resigned myself to the toenail issue and keep them filed down and painted in the summer and treat the tinea versicolor with Nizoral shampoo as soon as it pops up. I find that as I treat it immediately it is possible to manage it. I am 67 now and am wondering if my changing metabolism and immune system may eventually cause this to stop manifesting since it seems that many older people manifest the nail fungus - perhaps it will work in reverse for me.

Comment from: Anonmeow, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had tinea versicolor for a couple of years now. I don't believe when people say it's not contagious. I got it from my first boyfriend and it only began as a small patch right underneath my breasts and didn't know what it was at the time so I didn't bother with it. Now I'm with someone else and he has got a few spots on his chest. It's something to do with contact and sweat. Anyway, it is super embarrassing. I went to the doctors once it started to spread to my belly button and all they told me was that it was a 'sweat rash' until I mentioned what I thought it was. At that time I had already been using Selsun Blue 1% sulfate and I had to stop using it in the end because it dried my skin out, made it itchy and red and I even got a burn, like bra rash, while using it. I looked at other options, natural remedies such as tea tree oil, lavender oil, Epsom salt baths, apple cider vinegar, etc. I also bought some creams from the pharmacy and to be honest, it had little or no effect whatsoever. I've been so patient and tried so hard to get rid of this gross skin disease and I just can't. I don't know what else to do. I feel embarrassed to even get close to my boyfriend anymore.

Comment from: Chili girl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I'm 21 years old and I"ve probably had tinea vesicular for 7 years. It started out on my back and has since spread to under my breasts and on my back down to my bottom but hasn"t spread in probably 4 years. I"ve tried Selsun blue, the pill that has that long name, and now I"m on Nizoral hoping to see a change. Nothing yet. In going to try the apple cider vinegar (ACV) at the same time! I want this fungus gone, I hate it so much.

Comment from: beanniebop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had tinea versicolor for twenty years now. A lot of people in my family have it. I believe it is only contagious if you have the predisposition for it. My first husband started to get it from me but my current husband of ten years has shown no signs of having it. My spots are white and get reddish as well and they itch like there is no tomorrow, it almost drives me crazy sometime. I have tried dandruff shampoos but they don't work for me. I was prescribed an oral antifungal cream and it took it away but only for about a year. And that medicine is bad for your liver so it's not something that you want to be on for an extended period of time. As of right now I just suffer with it, wish I could find something to take it away forever.

Comment from: alec7913, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have found that cutting back on bread and wheat help tinea versicolor. For me the condition is a third less prevalent (at least) by just doing that.

Comment from: Jo318, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

This infection started about two years ago for me and I thought it was a rash from a new medication I was taking. It was diagnosed by my dermatologist as tinea versicolor.

Comment from: Kaptivating, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I've just learned to deal with it. I've had tinea versicolor continuously for 25 years and have never been able to get rid of it. However there was 1 summer in college that I swam in a chlorinated pool nearly every day and it seemed to subside for a few months.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Apply clear nail polish everyday on your skin in the morning and at night and tinea versicolor will slowly disappear. I have tried everything and this is the cheapest, most effective way. Do not moisten skin with any lotions and only apply sunscreen if needed over nail polish.

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?