Patient Comments: Tinea Versicolor - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tinea versicolor.

Comment from: beanniebop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had tinea versicolor for twenty years now. A lot of people in my family have it. I believe it is only contagious if you have the predisposition for it. My first husband started to get it from me but my current husband of ten years has shown no signs of having it. My spots are white and get reddish as well and they itch like there is no tomorrow, it almost drives me crazy sometime. I have tried dandruff shampoos but they don't work for me. I was prescribed an oral antifungal cream and it took it away but only for about a year. And that medicine is bad for your liver so it's not something that you want to be on for an extended period of time. As of right now I just suffer with it, wish I could find something to take it away forever.

Comment from: Kaptivating, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I've just learned to deal with it. I've had tinea versicolor continuously for 25 years and have never been able to get rid of it. However there was 1 summer in college that I swam in a chlorinated pool nearly every day and it seemed to subside for a few months.

Comment from: Jill, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Apply clear nail polish everyday on your skin in the morning and at night and tinea versicolor will slowly disappear. I have tried everything and this is the cheapest, most effective way. Do not moisten skin with any lotions and only apply sunscreen if needed over nail polish.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had Tinea Versicolor for the last 15 years, since I was 15 years old. It began as a small dime-sized patch on my chest and never spread any larger. It wasn't until I was 19 that it began to spread all over my neck, upper chest, and up my neck to my ears, into my hairline and even in my groin area. In the last two years, it has become worse. I used to use dandruff shampoo to treat it, but I am allergic to ingredients in the shampoo. Creams, tea tree oil and other herbal-based creams don't work. The only solution I have found is the direct, light application of organic apple cider vinegar twice a day to clean skin. It takes about one week to begin fading, though I find that care needs to be taken to make sure my skin does not get irritated by the vinegar. By the end of two weeks, the redness and flaking are gone. There are times when the patches get quite red and a bit itchy, and other times that they fade and take on a pearly appearance. I can't pin down what it is -- my diet, environmental factors, hormones, etc. -- that cause them to seem to get quite red at times. My mother tells me my father had the same spots. And though I understand that this condition is not contagious, my partner of five years has now begun developing the same condition alongside his eczema.

Published: July 31

I've had it since 1994 and have tried several prescriptions over the years. The only one that makes it go away is Nizoral/Ketoconazole 200mg. I usually get 7 pills and it will go away for about 8 months and come back. Needless to say, they won't prescribe more than 7 and will not do refills. Why, I don't know. Every time I go, they say it shouldn't come back, well, it does. I wish they would come up with something that would make it go away forever! Mine does not itch but it seems to peel off.

Published: July 28

I have had tinea versicolor for close to 20 years. Initially, the doctors gave me Selsun and other such topical remedies, but they did little. Finally, discovered Nizoral and a few other anti fungal pills which worked great, but it kept coming back. I was prescribed fluconazole, which is used for yeast infections. It didn't do a thing for the tenia, but my mom has used Apple Cider Vinegar tablets for years for yeast infections. I started taking the ACV and could tell an immediate change in the color of the spots, when I stopped, they were bright red, and when I would take it, they would sort of fade away, although I could still see them. Several months ago I went back to the doctors and got some ketoconazole which killed it off and have been using the ACV ever since and haven't seen it even start back. Usually, within a month or two of a treatment, I'd started getting spots again. I use the Apple Cider Vinegar pills, 3-4 a day and it has been working. I've had this stuff BAD for years and years and feel like I finally found something safe, cheap and easy that works....give it a try.

Tinea Versicolor - Signs and Symptoms Question: What were your signs and symptoms associated with tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your tinea versicolor?
Tinea Versicolor - Diagnosis Question: What kinds of tests led to a diagnosis of tinea versicolor in you or someone you know?
Tinea Versicolor - Similar Conditions Question: Before being diagnosed with tinea versicolor, what other condition did you think you might have?