GENERIC AVAILABLE: yes
PREPARATIONS: Ophthalmic solution: 0.25%, 0.5%. There is also a gel-forming solution (Timoptic-XE) in a 0.25% and 0.5% concentration.
STORAGE: Ophthalmic solution should be kept at room temperature, 15 C - 30 C (59 F - 86 F) and protected for direct light.
- Both hands should be washed before each use of timolol or any other eye medication.
- The head should be tilted back and the lower lid pulled down with the index finger to form a pouch.
- The tip of the dropper should not be touched to the eye or eyelid.
- The bottle should be squeezed slightly to allow the prescribed number of drops into the pouch.
- The eye is closed gently for 1 to 2 minutes without blinking.
- The usual dose is one drop into the affected eye twice daily.
- Timoptic-XE gel forming solution dose is one drop once per day.
DRUG INTERACTIONS: Combined use of oral beta-adrenergic blocking agents, for example, propranolol (Inderal), atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor) or carvedilol (Coreg) with ophthalmic timolol can result in additive effects. Thus, patients may experience excessively low blood pressure or reductions in heart rate.
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.