- A Visual Guide to Heart Disease
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Is timolol available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for timolol?
- What are the uses for timolol?
- What are the side effects of timolol?
- What is the dosage for timolol?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with timolol?
- Is timolol safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about timolol?
Is timolol available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for timolol?
What are the uses for timolol?
- Timolol is prescribed to lower blood pressure in patients with high blood pressure (hypertension).
- It also is used to reduce angina (heart pain), and to stabilize irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias) and prevent migraine headaches. Off label uses include the treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and mitral valve prolapse.
What are the side effects of timolol?
Minor side effects of timolol include:
Major side effects include:
- vivid dreams,
- memory loss,
- slow heart rate,
- low blood pressure,
- blueness of the hands or feet,
- sore throat,
- shortness of breath, or
Quick GuideHeart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.