Patient Comments: Ticks - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you use or receive to treat a tick bite or tick-caused infection?

Comment from: len, 75 or over Male Published: August 05

I found a tick on my right lower side. My wife checked it. It was already half in my skin and swollen. She sprayed Off with Deet on it to get the tick to back out, and she tried pulling and wiggling it, but it was in so tight. I used an ice cube for two to three minutes to get the swelling down. Then I applied more Off with Deet and used some tweezers and wiggled it out. I put it in a jar. Then I washed off the area, used antibiotic ointment, and put on a bandage. It has been three days. It has decreased in size, and there is a little drainage.

Comment from: Melissa, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 28

We deal with chiggers and ticks every year. Oil is a killer. Baby oil, Avon's Skin So Soft – any kind of oil for your skin will smother them. We learned this when we had a pet store and our snakes got mites.

Ticks - Bite Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with a tick bite?
Ticks - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of a tick-related infection in you or someone you know?
Ticks - Removal Question: Do you know the correct way to remove a tick? Please share your experience.
Ticks - Prevention Question: If you live in a tick-prone region, how do you prevent bites?