Patient Comments: Ticks - Bite Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a tick bite?

Comment from: Nathan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I was bitten by a tick on the top of my shoulder and when it was removed I began feeling dizzy and extremely itchy all over but around my glands in particular. After 10 minutes I had a rash all over my body and was turning bright red in the face, had trouble breathing and my neck was swollen. I was escorted to a chemist by an ambulance and bought some Phenergan (antihistamine) and the symptoms were gone in about 20 minutes. Now I have a large painful lump on my shoulder. I believe it was an adult female paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus) which are native to Australia.

Comment from: Mansion Man, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I visited Cape Lookout Island off the shore of North Carolina in May only to find the presence that evening of a tick attached to my outer upper thigh which I pulled off with my finger nail. I destroyed it by crushing it. Later I found a second tick on my clothing. That was also destroyed as well followed by a further search. No more were found. I developed a lump at the attachment site and two other spots on inner leg. All were red and itched. I am concerned if I have anything to be concerned about. Lump size is 3/16 in.

Comment from: vishnu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

Seven months back I got bitten by deer ticks from jungle. The symptoms are light brown dotted spots in forehand and some part of the body and lower abdomen, I got treated by a skin doctor and had antibiotics, but it remains unchanged. It rarely itches.

Comment from: bap, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

About 1989 or 1990, I was bitten by a tick while cutting grass. I removed it myself. It did leave the red bull's eye. Since I worked in healthcare I had the emergency room (ER) doctor take a look. He said it looked like a tick bite the kind that produces Lyme's disease. Lyme's disease was fairly new at the time and since our county (we contacted Health Department and Department of Natural Resources) insisted there were no such ticks in the area and testing was rarely done I went untreated. I developed a horrific headache, achy, feverish, fatigue and 'the worst flu like symptoms ever'. I developed a secondary infection and was put on antibiotics.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I had a tick bite about 3 weeks ago. I have been experiencing vague symptoms (fatigue, leg and back pain) for a couple weeks. Yesterday, I developed flu-like symptoms, severe lower back pain, chest pain, fever, neck pain and stiffness, muscle pain, vomiting, and fatigue. I could hardly walk to the emergency room. The doctor prescribed doxycycline. Next day, symptoms still persisted, along with a severe headache. Fever finally broke that afternoon. I was drenched in sweat. This is second day of taking doxycycline, I have no fever but still have headache and body aches and pains.

Comment from: CM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been bitten by a tick for the second time. I received one dose of doxycycline because this occurred within a 36 hour period, however, I have been very fatigued the past week.

Comment from: mark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was hiking in the mountains, areas of sagebrush, on Monday, and I developed a migraine type of visual interruption on Thursday, followed by headache on Friday and Saturday. I felt chilled and after showering, discovered tick on underwear line. The tick came out easily after the hot shower and was not full of blood, headache ceased rapidly, possibly left some nasal congestion.

Ticks - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of a tick-related infection in you or someone you know?
Ticks - Removal Question: Do you know the correct way to remove a tick? Please share your experience.
Ticks - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you use or receive to treat a tick bite or tick-caused infection?
Ticks - Prevention Question: If you live in a tick-prone region, how do you prevent bites?