Patient Comments: Ticks - Bite Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a tick bite?

Comment from: mark, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was hiking in the mountains, areas of sagebrush, on Monday, and I developed a migraine type of visual interruption on Thursday, followed by headache on Friday and Saturday. I felt chilled and after showering, discovered tick on underwear line. The tick came out easily after the hot shower and was not full of blood, headache ceased rapidly, possibly left some nasal congestion.

Comment from: Russell, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 28

I had a tick enter my body below the neck, the next day I developed extreme pain across the shoulders, and then it went to my chest I could hardly breathe. I went to the hospital and had a massive dose of morphine which helped the doctor put me on colchicine which is a gout medication. I was told it delivered a big dose of anti-inflammatory. It was okay for a few weeks but the same excruciating pain came back, again as first diagnosed. I am now on 4 different pills.

Comment from: susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was not aware of the bite and had no bull's eye. But I had an abrupt, excruciating headache for about 24 hours, aches and fever, I thought it was the flu. The other large symptom has been profound fatigue. I was sleeping constantly. When I went in flu test was negative, and the doctor put me right on medications.

Comment from: Lynn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I found a tick on leg and removed it but there is a welt and a big lump and it itches like crazy.

Comment from: aldy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

For the past several summers my husband and I would get bites - red, firm, itchy spots that would last for more than a week. We thought they might be flea bites but having worked for a veterinarian I observed that bites I knew were from fleas healed quickly. Today I caught the culprit in the act of biting me! It was so tiny I took out my magnifier and watched it then looked it up: a tick larvae, but I couldn't tell what species.

Comment from: Starz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I had a tick bite on my leg. I let my boyfriend remove it . He pulled and pulled, and when the tick let go, it had some of my skin. I knew he was doing it wrong, but it was too late. After removal, I had itching, scaly skin. When I itched, it my skin broke open. I had scabs. I went to doctor and he prescribed cream with hydrocortisone and steroids. The bite healed after using the cream, but it left a brownish discoloration around the tick bite area. When I stopped using the cream because I thought it got better, it reappeared again in a couple of months. I can't get rid of it.

Comment from: nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

A few days ago I removed a tick from my leg in the ankle area. Yesterday morning I noticed a bullseye around the area. It burns and it's itchy. I've been so tired and I vomited. My leg looks like the picture in the article.

Comment from: AsH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I found a tick on my scalp last night and woke up with a terrible headache and vomiting. I'm wondering if this related to the tick.

Ticks - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of a tick-related infection in you or someone you know?
Ticks - Removal Question: Do you know the correct way to remove a tick? Please share your experience.
Ticks - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment did you use or receive to treat a tick bite or tick-caused infection?
Ticks - Prevention Question: If you live in a tick-prone region, how do you prevent bites?