Patient Comments: Thyroid Peroxidase Test - Diagnosis

Were you diagnosed with an autoimmune or other type of disorder from your thyroid peroxidase results? Please explain.

Comment from: Deedee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have been treated for hypothyroidism going on 3 years now. I had my first thyroid peroxidase antibodies (TPOAb) test. The normal range is 0-34. However, mine is nearly 12000. I am wondering if I need to contact a specialist since it is apparent I have Hashimoto's, or do I just stay with family doctor on this matter. My TSH is responding to Synthroid but I feel so sick all over constantly.

Comment from: Bobbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease but my thyroids function well, therefore my doctor didn't do any treatments and has given no medication. However I do have anti TPO of 44 and marked as high on my lab work. My concern is developing other autoimmune diseases.

Comment from: michael broxton, (Patient) Published: February 03

Yes, I was diagnosed with lupus from my thyroid peroxidase results. My symptoms are B12 deficiency and gastroesophageal reflux.

Comment from: Edie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

My thyroid peroxidase antibody is 424 (normal is 35). My doctors don't know what it means, and one of them said that he did not know why there was such a test. I wanted to know if I had Hashimoto's disease and I was told by the endocrinologist that it was impossible to test for it. I still don't know why this number is so high or if there's anything I can do to bring that number down into the normal range.

Comment from: Sheryl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed over 20 years ago with hypothyroid. The last 6 months I have felt horrible. I recently went to see an endocrinologist and my anti-TPO was 262.2. I have been calling my doctor to find out what this means but she has not returned my calls.

Comment from: seventeen, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

She is 17 her T4 is 13.6 and the thyroid peroxidase antibodies are at 26. She has pain down her spine, in her joints (knees and ankles) as well as down her legs.

Comment from: Bush Woman, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I was diagnosed four years ago with auto immune disease when I had a thyroid peroxidase (TPO) >1000. It went down to 244 after treatment began, but it never went lower. Recently I began to feel badly. After doing a TPO I found that my level is now 5151. What"s happening! Not exactly "under 34"!

Comment from: 66joanna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was diagnosed with Graves' disease in 2010 by a thyroid peroxidase (TPO) test, number 104. After taking carbimazole since, I wonder if I should have had another test. My TSH level is 0.07, FreeT3 - 5.5 FreeT4 - 21.2.