Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Treatments

What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Heregoesnothing, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 20 year old female college student and my nodules were discovered a few months ago by my doctor during a checkup I scheduled to talk about my constantly upset stomach. Once pointed out I didn't know how I had never noticed. I had an ultrasound within a few days and another follow up appointment the next week. My doctor said that she was pretty sure my nodules were benign and that I had multiple about 3.1 in size (I think that was each one not overall) but that I needed to go see and endocrinologist. I scheduled my appointment for the first available one which was a month and a half out which gave me plenty of time to research and freak myself out. When I went to the specialist she also looked at my ultrasound report and told me since they were not all fluid there was a chance for them to be cancerous and not to worry since no one close to me has a history of cancer. My mom also has a thyroid nodule that she has had since a young age but hers is very small and never grew. I went back to school and the nodules just got bigger and harder. Also while away at school my dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer but we are waiting on results for if it spread to his lymphatic system. I now have another ultra-sounded scheduled and an appointment with my endocrinologist. Although they cause me no pain I am very self-conscious about the large lump on my neck (what female college student wouldn't be) and I think I will opt to have it removed no matter what.

Comment from: Mari Rodriguez, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

A couple years ago, my doctor found a nodule in my right thyroid. The biopsy wasn't clear, and the doctors decided it was best to remove the nodule. As they removed the nodule, they also removed a big part of the right thyroid. Since then, I've been taking a daily medication (Synthroid .88).

Comment from: jersey30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

It started with a very stiff neck, then the front and sides of my neck became very hard to the touch, and had a taut/full feeling. I had a CT scan and ultrasound, and now have to have a fine-needle biopsy. During the time it has taken to schedule and have all these procedures done, I have had a spreading feeling of tight/taut skin down my chest, arms and back. I'm not sure if this is related to whatever is going on with my thyroid or if it is something else altogether. I am also scheduled to see a rheumatologist regarding these symptoms because my doctor could not tell me why it is occurring. It is all very scary to me with the progression of these symptoms, but I hope to get some more answers soon. Does anyone know if skin tightening in the chest, arms, etc., can be related to thyroid issues?

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm totally confused. I've felt like there was a piece of string in my throat for 5 months that I can't swallow away. I had a biopsy. Nothing to worry about there, just inflamed. The pain is so irritating (it wakes me in the night) so I had an MRI scan. Nothing there either. Now I have a lump at the base of my throat. No one seems to know what's going on and I'm really weary of it all.

Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.