Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis

Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.

Comment from: Itzmenorma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I felt some tightening and pressure swallowing and noticed in pictures my neck seemed swollen. I then felt one of my thyroid glands seemingly bigger than the other, before I made an appointment to see my general doctor. He stated that sometimes people have one bigger than the other and it's nothing to worry about. I requested further testing and he suggested a sonogram. The results showed two nodules big enough to have a biopsy. I went to an ENT but he could not feel one and suggested a fine needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy. Results showed one thyroid came back negative and the other with abnormal cells to be rechecked in 6 months.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I had an ultra sound done on my thyroid and it showed the left side was not functioning and there was a lump so I had a radiation test done and it showed same thing but blood test came back normal. I will go see the specialist soon but very nervous have been having a lot of symptoms.

Comment from: Pamejo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

About 8 months ago I went to an ear, nose, and throat doctor (ENT) due to my right ear always being full and glands being swollen. The only thing he did was gave me nasal spray and antibiotics. I went back about a month later, again with swollen glands, ear fullness, and tenderness under right jaw. He did a CT scan on my neck then ordered physical therapy for bone spurs on my neck. It is not helping! Finally my family doctor who I have been seeing for the last six weeks from suffering from ear fullness and swollen glands gave me three prescriptions of antibiotics and ordered a sonogram. I just found out I have a solid nodule on thyroid. I am in the process of going to another ENT.

Comment from: Melizza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had my ultrasound on my thyroid and found out, I have 32 nodules scattered. Impression is thyromegaly with diffuse parenchymal changes and nodules. Findings are, my right lobe of my thyroid gland measures 6.4 x 2.1 x 2.3 cm while my left lobe measures 6.1 x 1.9 x 2.5 cm. Both lobes of my thyroid glands are enlarged with heterogeneous parenchymal echo pattern. Solid appearing nodules exhibiting isoechoic echogenicity with hypoechoic rim are seen bilaterally, the largest of which are seen in the lower thirds portion of both lobes, and a cystic nodule is noted in the right lobe. Solid nodules are likewise seen in the isthmic area. Upon color interrogation, most of the solid nodules exhibits perilesional vascularity.

Comment from: dewie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had trouble swallowing, smelly breath, hoarseness, and a puffy left side lower neck near my shoulder bone. I had an ultrasound and a 1.6-cm nodule was found. It had mixed fluid and solid inside. The next biopsy was with a long needle and the results were atypical. Three months later, the biopsy revealed mostly oncocytic or Hurthle cells. I had half of my thyroid and tumor removed, but was cleared of suspected cancer. The rest was not needed to be removed, nor did it need radioactive iodine treatment.

Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.