Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Type

What type of thyroid nodule did you have?

Comment from: justseeking, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I recently received a copy of my FNA (fine needle aspiration) report. I have not yet had an appointment to review it with my doctor, but the results show benign follicular nodule, Bethesda category II; small follicular cells with uniform nuclei in a background of thin colloid. I was happy to read the word benign, however, I am confused about the next step. It seems as if many webpages show that I may still need to have a partial removal of my thyroid to obtain an accurate diagnosis. I will not see my doctor for almost 2 weeks and this is weighing heavily on my mind.

Comment from: jadenhunter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 24 after I had my third son. I took Synthroid for it and overall it worked well. About 2002 I started having issues with hypothyroid symptoms and my thyroid swelled up into a noticeable goiter. An ultrasound found 4 nodules and it had increased to 6 since then. My endocrinologist took a wait and see stance after a biopsy came back showing benign results. The nodules have been very slow growing and not a problem until recently. However, my endocrinologist has now moved to a new department and the new one has determined that the nodules are smaller than the previous provided results though, and that half of them are not nodules, but calcification. I wasn't able to make an appointment with him to go over the latest test results and his office has decided it can wait for six months. I am currently trying to contact my insurance provider for information on getting a second opinion.

Comment from: Irish, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

In April 2013 due to other autoimmune issues I was sent to a thyroid specialist and diagnosed with Hashimoto"s. During the exam he did an ultrasound and discovered 3 nodules. The next day he did biopsy on all three and results were benign - exam again in 6 months. In October 2013 exam revealed a 4th nodule but all were still small so just it was recheck again in 6 months. In March 2014, nodule #3 had tripled in size to over 3cm in the 6 months. Biopsy reveals "lesion of significant abnormality". Second biopsy with same results and also sent to DNA lab which tests came negative for the 2 genes which would indicate likely cancer. Now they say just keep an eye on it and recheck in 6 months again. If it"s growing that rapidly and shows a significant abnormality even though it"s not malignant, I wonder if it wouldn"t be better to have that half at least removed. I don"t know what to do.

Comment from: nodulenightmare, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I went to the doctor because I thought I had an allergy to drinking tea. Every time I drank a cup of tea the left side of my throat felt like something was stuck in it, I have just found out I have thyroid autoimmune problems and a small nodule on the same side that gets irritated when I drink tea. I need to see a specialist but I wonder if there is a link between the tea and the thyroid issues.

Comment from: scared, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had to take thyroid medication for long time, but my doctor never thought to give me an ultrasound. I went to a doctor who specializes in thyroid. I had an ultrasound a month ago, heard nothing from the doctor, so I decided to get a copy of the report. It says there is one thyroid nodule, well encapsulated. Years ago I had a nodule on my vocal cords which they removed, then about 10 years ago I had acinic cell carcinoma of the right parotid gland, which was removed (I had a fine needle done which was inconclusive and I had radiation as an insurance policy). I really don't believe in fine needle because they can possibly release cells into your system that might be cancerous, and they seem to be a fishing trip; you have to be in the right spot. I will say it has felt like I have an obstruction on the right side of my throat. Oh well, just another worry.

Comment from: lgtsales, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I have a solid nodule on my isthmus approximately 1.5 in. in size, but no irregularities.

Comment from: Donna, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 28

For months I experienced tremors in both hands, weight loss, night sweats, hoarseness, and anxiety. Then I noticed a lump on the left side of my thyroid. My GP said it was a nodule. My blood results were normal. An ultrasound revealed two more nodules on the right side of my thyroid. I saw an endocrinologist, who suggested surgery. Surgeons performed a hemithyroidectomy. As a result, all my symptoms have disappeared.

Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.