Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have been to the hospital today, a follow up after being diagnosed with a large goiter and solid mass of thyroid nodules. The doctor put a camera down my throat and said my left vocal cord seems paralyzed!! The goiter is constricting my trachea. I have fullness in neck, my collarbone hurts and I have terrific shoulder pain. I feel terrible, can't sleep, all my joints hurt, and I feel anxious and churned up all the time. I now have to have another ultrasound and fine needle aspiration before a decision is made about what to do. What I'm upset about is no one wants to help with how poorly I feel because my blood test came back normal. I had a partial thyroid removal 25 years ago but not on medication. I feel like I'm going mad and it's going on and on!

Comment from: Pmr27, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

Around 6 years ago I had the left side of my thyroid removed because of a 1 cm nodule. I now have 4 nodules in my remaining right half, maybe more now, as each scan shows more! I am tired, depressed, and totally exhausted. I don't even want to walk the dogs, cook, or shop! I've lost interest in most things. Doctors do the appropriate blood tests, but so far no treatment has been deemed necessary. I'm sleeping my life away. I'm sure my current anti-depressants are not working so life is unpleasant big time at the moment. All my doctor wants to do is get my heart tested. I'm confused and too tired to care anymore.

Comment from: regift, Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I finally had a total thyroidectomy. It got to the point where I could barely talk, swallow and breathing was getting hard to do. Not that you look forward to surgery but the doctor and staff were great. I was in surgery for almost 5 hours and when I woke up I was in the intensive care unit. Later that afternoon the doctors came in and I told her that I felt great and that I no longer had that feeling of a baseball in my throat. She told me the mass was bigger than she anticipated and it was more softball size. I spent 2 days in the hospital. My thyroxin was increased and I went on calcium supplements. I cannot believe how good I feel since the surgery. It is nice to be able to eat and not choke.

Comment from: LisaM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Right after the first of the year I noticed a slight swelling on my thyroid. When I was about 20 I was hyperthyroid, I took Tapazole for 1 year and everything seemed to be ok. But now I have had blood work which came back normal, an ultrasound that says I have three nodules and FNA (fine needle aspiration) which came back abnormal. They told me it came back as a follicular neoplasm and now my chance of it being cancer is about 30%. Next week I have an appointment with a surgeon to have it removed. Scary but now I just want to get it over with. The nodules explain why I have felt this fullness in my throat. I also get an achy feeling on my collar bone and up towards my left ear.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I went to the doctor today for a routine checkup. A couple of weeks ago I went to get blood work done. The results came back and my thyroid levels are off. She felt my throat and had me swallow and the doctor said she was concerned and wanted me to get an ultrasound of my thyroid. She looked concerned. I scheduled my ultrasound today for 3pm. I'll be going back in 2 months for a follow up. The doctor said my thyroid was enlarged, I should have got my thyroid checked out sooner.

Comment from: Matilda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I recently had some blood work drawn to check my thyroid and it came back normal. But I continue to have several symptoms and a sonogram reviewed a 6 mm nodule on the right side of my thyroid. My daughter seems to think it is just a fatty cyst and that everything is okay. My frustration is that I seem to think my doctor is not doing everything to make sure I am okay. I have been told and I have also researches that thyroid problems are very hard to diagnose. I am just overwhelmed and frustrated with this whole situation.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.