Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: LisaM, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

Right after the first of the year I noticed a slight swelling on my thyroid. When I was about 20 I was hyperthyroid, I took Tapazole for 1 year and everything seemed to be ok. But now I have had blood work which came back normal, an ultrasound that says I have three nodules and FNA (fine needle aspiration) which came back abnormal. They told me it came back as a follicular neoplasm and now my chance of it being cancer is about 30%. Next week I have an appointment with a surgeon to have it removed. Scary but now I just want to get it over with. The nodules explain why I have felt this fullness in my throat. I also get an achy feeling on my collar bone and up towards my left ear.

Comment from: Nicole, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I went to the doctor today for a routine checkup. A couple of weeks ago I went to get blood work done. The results came back and my thyroid levels are off. She felt my throat and had me swallow and the doctor said she was concerned and wanted me to get an ultrasound of my thyroid. She looked concerned. I scheduled my ultrasound today for 3pm. I'll be going back in 2 months for a follow up. The doctor said my thyroid was enlarged, I should have got my thyroid checked out sooner.

Comment from: baily, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I was gaining weight every week, I was tired and irritable, had numbness in my hands, stiffness in my neck and was unable to remember simple things. I was tired and had aches and painful joints all the time and poor sleep. My doctor told me it was menopause. I developed a sore throat with difficulty in swallowing. I went to another doctor who found an enlarged thyroid, ordered blood tests and an ultra sound and the sonogram revealed many small nodes. The blood tests revealed high cholesterol and high blood sugar, other than that it did not show much about my thyroid levels. She sent me to an endocrinologist who began therapy for thyroiditis with a small dose of Synthroid. It has been five months and I feel so much better. I still have high blood sugar and I am hoping it will return to normal once my thyroid is under control.

Comment from: bambi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I have irregular multi-nodules. I have had two needle aspirations. I am on metoprolol for high heart rate and have pain radiating ear to jaw. Surgeon says he will only take it out if I have cancer. I wanted to have prevention and surgery. I will only get checked now maybe in three years for follow up. The eye doctor says I have start of Graves'. What a name!

Comment from: wendell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have Grave's Disease for about 2.5 years now. I was on Tapazole for the first 18 months. Then, I went off it for about 6 months. My numbers after about 4 months off were worse than what I started with. I had symptoms of rapid heartbeat/breathing, tiredness and not sleeping well. I went back on Tapazole in June 2013 and August I decided to go gluten free. I read some articles and did a self-test. I have vitiligo on my hands, arms, feet. The other day, I went for an ultrasound and the endocrinologist called me tonight and said I have a nodule that was not there 2 years ago. So, now I have to spend the next week and holiday worrying because I don't think I will get an appointment.

Comment from: confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 24 and a female. I have two lumps on my neck under my chin. Both move up and down when I swallow. I have no other symptoms of pain in that area. Not sure if I should go to the doctor to get checked out. I don't know how long I had it.C

Comment from: nmay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had ovarian cancer little over 3 years ago and am doing good. Approximately 20 plus years ago I had a partial thyroid removal due to goiter. Within the past 3-5 years nodules have been found on my remaining thyroid. I have been on medication since surgery 20 plus years ago. I have had many ultrasounds and biopsies in the past few years. I have 3 nodules on my thyroid and a couple of weeks back I had my yearly ultrasound and a new nodule has shown up, now I have 4 nodules on 1/2 thyroid, as that's what is left. I am concerned especially since I had cancer and I have a sibling who had thyroid cancer. Personally, I am considering having the partial thyroid I have left removed. I found out about the 4th nodule just today from my family doctor. My specialist office is usually very slow with reports so I have not heard from her office. I am thinking of calling her office instead of waiting for her to call me, probably another needle biopsy is in order. I have felt pain in my jaw and ear area as well as pain around my eye, but never knew this could be from my thyroid. I hope I get this sorted out soon.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.