Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Ally, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

Originally about 15 years ago I started with an extreme case of acid reflux which I attribute to the formation of nodules on my thyroid, but who knows. I have had several sonograms, blood tests, and a needle biopsy. This is a way of policing to make sure the nodule is not cancerous. Growth of the nodule is an important factor. About a year ago my T4 levels were through the roof so the doctor prescribed .10 generic Synthroid. After 3 months my thyroid symptoms were worse so I gradually went off the drug by lowering the dosage. I also get B-12 injections which I attribute to less symptoms and a lowering of my hyperthyroid elevations. My T-4 levels are at the lowest level yet. I see an endocrinologist every 6 months for a sonogram and my doctor every 3 months for a blood test. My skin appearance on my arms especially is very crepe like which is why I am researching this site and others. There is a connection to thyroid disease and the skin, hair and nails and the kidneys, heart and blood vessels and brain function. Take care.

Comment from: Jazz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I was told I have an over active thyroid and have been put on trimazole. My thyroid is enlarged with a goiter and I have two nodules which are hypo-functioning. I am very weak in strength and have fatigue.

Comment from: confused, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 24 and a female. I have two lumps on my neck under my chin. Both move up and down when I swallow. I have no other symptoms of pain in that area. Not sure if I should go to the doctor to get checked out. I don't know how long I had it.C

Comment from: mom79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My nodule was an 'incidental find'. The US showed 1.4 cm solid nodule in the right side. All of my blood work has always been normal. Thyroid Uptake Scan scheduled for tomorrow. I do remember having a feeling of something stuck in my throat about 5 years ago. Almost like a tiny piece of food, but I would only notice it on occasion. I had an EGD done and it was normal. Looking back, I think the feeling was from the nodule.....

Comment from: Elle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

One day, I suddenly felt as though a lump was in my throat. I could feel it when I swallowed. After a couple of doctor visits, I went for an ultrasound that showed "several nodules" even though my thyroid levels were normal, according to blood tests. I cannot feel the nodules, but occasionally I have ear pain and seem to be quite tired.

Comment from: stardi21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

My doctor just recently discovered the nodules in a routine examination. I first thought something was up when I had this rash for more than a month, then the swelling on the right hand side with some discomfort leading into the shoulder. I find these comments very helpful and calming as I am quite young and having trouble registering this all in. I had an ultrasound a month ago and I have an uptake and scan scheduled in another two weeks. It is nice to read that this is not all in my head and these are actual symptoms. Your site has helped me tremendously.

Published: July 28

My symptoms were: Neck, Jaw and Shoulder pain accompanied by hearing impairment in the right ear. Ultrasound indicated some nodules present. MRI indicated swelling around nodules on the right side of the neck area. Fine needle aspiration indicated several small nodules are benign. Blood tests are inconclusive. Follow up doctor visits scheduled now every three months.

Published: July 10

I was visiting my Asthma doctor for a checkup, and he examined my neck. He found a lump and ordered an ultrasound. It showed 2 nodules on my thyroid, of which I am scheduled to see an endocrinologist for evaluation. Your article was very informative and helped me a lot. I am being treated for a low thyroid and I am taking a low dose of Levoxyl.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.