Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Elle, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

One day, I suddenly felt as though a lump was in my throat. I could feel it when I swallowed. After a couple of doctor visits, I went for an ultrasound that showed "several nodules" even though my thyroid levels were normal, according to blood tests. I cannot feel the nodules, but occasionally I have ear pain and seem to be quite tired.

Comment from: stardi21, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

My doctor just recently discovered the nodules in a routine examination. I first thought something was up when I had this rash for more than a month, then the swelling on the right hand side with some discomfort leading into the shoulder. I find these comments very helpful and calming as I am quite young and having trouble registering this all in. I had an ultrasound a month ago and I have an uptake and scan scheduled in another two weeks. It is nice to read that this is not all in my head and these are actual symptoms. Your site has helped me tremendously.

Published: July 28

My symptoms were: Neck, Jaw and Shoulder pain accompanied by hearing impairment in the right ear. Ultrasound indicated some nodules present. MRI indicated swelling around nodules on the right side of the neck area. Fine needle aspiration indicated several small nodules are benign. Blood tests are inconclusive. Follow up doctor visits scheduled now every three months.

Published: July 10

I was visiting my Asthma doctor for a checkup, and he examined my neck. He found a lump and ordered an ultrasound. It showed 2 nodules on my thyroid, of which I am scheduled to see an endocrinologist for evaluation. Your article was very informative and helped me a lot. I am being treated for a low thyroid and I am taking a low dose of Levoxyl.

Published: June 24

I noticed a lump about an inch wide and inch and a half long after being bumped on my neck one day and it felt odd enough to make me check my neck out in the mirror. No other symptoms led me to notice anything different. My doctor saw the nodule almost immediately after greeting me, without me having said anything to her.

Published: June 24

I first felt like I was getting a sore throat but then realized it was the outside of my lower neck that hurt when touched. Hurt to swallow, laugh and cough especially when looking up. The pain was helped with aspirin or ibuprofen. There was also referred pain to one ear.

Comment from: xraymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I had the lapland procedure in June. After losing 60lbs the weight just seemed to drop off my face, neck and upper chest. I immediately noticed a large mass on my left throat. My family doctor did all the normal tests. First blood work, then ultrasound, and then a nuclear radiographic test. Everything came back inconclusive or normal. I was sent for a biopsy, which I thought was uncomfortable and my throat was very irritated. I work in a call center and have a very sore throat daily and become very horse by the end of the day. I am waiting for the results to come back as we speak. I am hoping for benign with outpatient surgery so that I can resume my normal life once again.

Comment from: worried, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I'm a young female that was having some neck and back problems and went for an MRI. The MRI found my thyroid to be enlarged. I had an ultrasound scheduled and it showed multiple mass or nodules, with one 2.5cm. Which is large enough to biopsy and the second to small to do anything with right now. The larger mass was found to be benign. I'm still worried about the smaller one and at a loss of what happens now. I understand that I have to return every 6 months or 1 year for a follow up of an ultrasound. They didn't give any recommendations of medication, radiation, or removal so I guess that is good, but it still has me worried.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.