Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: wendell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I have Grave's Disease for about 2.5 years now. I was on Tapazole for the first 18 months. Then, I went off it for about 6 months. My numbers after about 4 months off were worse than what I started with. I had symptoms of rapid heartbeat/breathing, tiredness and not sleeping well. I went back on Tapazole in June 2013 and August I decided to go gluten free. I read some articles and did a self-test. I have vitiligo on my hands, arms, feet. The other day, I went for an ultrasound and the endocrinologist called me tonight and said I have a nodule that was not there 2 years ago. So, now I have to spend the next week and holiday worrying because I don't think I will get an appointment.

Comment from: nmay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had ovarian cancer little over 3 years ago and am doing good. Approximately 20 plus years ago I had a partial thyroid removal due to goiter. Within the past 3-5 years nodules have been found on my remaining thyroid. I have been on medication since surgery 20 plus years ago. I have had many ultrasounds and biopsies in the past few years. I have 3 nodules on my thyroid and a couple of weeks back I had my yearly ultrasound and a new nodule has shown up, now I have 4 nodules on 1/2 thyroid, as that's what is left. I am concerned especially since I had cancer and I have a sibling who had thyroid cancer. Personally, I am considering having the partial thyroid I have left removed. I found out about the 4th nodule just today from my family doctor. My specialist office is usually very slow with reports so I have not heard from her office. I am thinking of calling her office instead of waiting for her to call me, probably another needle biopsy is in order. I have felt pain in my jaw and ear area as well as pain around my eye, but never knew this could be from my thyroid. I hope I get this sorted out soon.

Comment from: brooklyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am 78 years old and had routine carotid artery ultrasound that showed part of the thyroid with a lump about 1 cm. I had an ultrasound of my thyroid and found that I have a nodule. I will have a needle biopsy. In the 1950s I had radiation therapy and ultraviolet light therapy for acne. I am on Lexapro for the past year, following a double mastectomy for cancer. I had no symptoms that I attributed to my thyroid but my hair is thinner and I'm 20 pounds heavier in the last 15 years. I also have a recently diagnosed (last week) aneurysm. These are not the golden years.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have a feeling of fullness in my throat/neck area that can be annoying. I especially feel it if my head is down while reading. I was just told I have two small nodules on either side and will be seeing a specialist next. I am not worried but being cautious.

Comment from: whats real at 46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Looked in the mirror and noticed a lump under my "Adam's apple" (but I'm a woman). Ultrasound indicated several nodules and cysts in both lobes and the isthmus. Awaiting official results of fine needle aspiration biopsy; although radiologist and pathologist think they are benign. TSH over the years has always been slightly under the "normal" range. But the T-3 and T-4 have been slightly above the normal range. There was no concern from doctors over the years regarding the blood tests. No other obvious symptoms. No rapid weight gain or loss. Hair loss, but its not thinning. Skin is not dry, but no longer oily either. Hard to tell if heart beat occasionally is rapid or if I'm imaging it. Tired, but who isn't these days.

Comment from: Ebonyeyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been monitoring the nodule on the lower left hand side of my neck for a few years now. It's pretty obvious that I have a nodule because it goes up and down when I swallow. I have no pain, no symptoms, and the biopsies that I have endured show no cancer, yet it keeps growing. My doctor has recommended total removal of the thyroid gland. After removal I will need to take a thyroid replacement tablet for the rest of my life. I have finally decided to have the thyroid removed. I don't like the unsightly lump in my neck and don't want to take the chance that I have cancer.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.