Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: Sandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I am fairly sure that my thyroid nodules were caused because I was using an anti-mosquito plug-in containing d allethrin. The chemical imitates oestrogen and gives instruction to the pituitary gland to produce more thyroid hormone. The nodules are caused purely by the excess hormone that has nowhere else to go. I am hoping they will dry up eventually, once the thyroid hormone level stabilizes. At the same time I had a congenital cyst, which grew very large when a very heavy green pine cone fell on my head, causing me to need 6 stitches. This went away apparently by itself, after 2 years, but coincidentally at the same time as I had a dental implant. My dentist believes it might have been a reaction to the anaesthetic. I live in Portugal, although I am English and it is difficult to get reliable information. I rely a lot on the Internet to check on what is being told to me by the doctors here, who are inexperienced

Comment from: SANDRA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I discovered a lump after the birth of my second son and had tests to discover my thyroid was normal except for the nodule. After living with my lump for 3 years and having a biopsy ever 6 months I decided to have it removed. They took 2/3 of it leaving my parathyroid glands. It's been 7 years and I have suffered from anxiety for most of them and now I am also feeling more tired, sweating, forgetful and slowly gaining more weight. I do take a .75 of levothyroxine daily and turned 42 this week. Do I need to see a nose and throat specialists again to get another opinion. My family doctor says my levels keep coming back in the normal range yet I am not feeling great.

Comment from: nasus6161, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was sitting at my desk at work, went to scratch the left side of my neck and noticed this enormous lump in my lower neck. I had no other symptoms. I went to my general practitioner on a Tuesday, had a CT scan on Wednesday which showed a 3.75cm mass on my left lobe of my thyroid. Went to an ears, nose and throat specialist on Thursday, he did a needle biopsy in the office, which turned out to be benign, but, I was told that the biopsy was not 100% accurate, so I elected to have my left lobe of my thyroid gland removed. The surgery was not bad and I am now three days post surgery and doing great. The pathologist report also reported it was a benign mass but I would have choosen to have it removed again. My doctor told me anything 4 cm or larger is usually cancer and since mine was 3.75, I did not want to take any chances.

Comment from: ecuparent, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I kept feeling like food and was getting stuck in my throat. I had a swallowing study done and an endoscopy done, but it found nothing. I still knew that something had changed in my throat so I made an appointment with an endocrinologist myself. He found many nodules and three need to have the fine needle biopsy. My advice, be persistent and don't listen when doctors tell you nothing is wrong. By the way my blood work didn't show anything except a severe Vitamin D Deficiency 8.9L; TSH .877; T4 1.39.

Published: July 23

I started having rashes and then woke to the feeling of a swollen throat, coughing, difficulty swallowing and breathing. My peroxidase level was then found elevated. MRI, CT and ultrasounds followed revealing a large node and several small nodes. A biopsy showed they were benign and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto. Other symptoms before diagnoses and after treatment were significant weight gain, muscle tremors, chest pains and palpitations, decreased body temp, red coloring of skin, moodiness, limb weakness, shortness of breath, cough, tightness in my throat. My symptoms definitely increased after I started Synthroid, I stopped treatment and began seeing a naturopathic doctor. I still have some tiredness, occasional chest pains and the same tightness in my throat, but I feel amazingly better in the past 2 months.

Comment from: mom79, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My nodule was an 'incidental find'. The US showed 1.4 cm solid nodule in the right side. All of my blood work has always been normal. Thyroid Uptake Scan scheduled for tomorrow. I do remember having a feeling of something stuck in my throat about 5 years ago. Almost like a tiny piece of food, but I would only notice it on occasion. I had an EGD done and it was normal. Looking back, I think the feeling was from the nodule.....

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.