Patient Comments: Thyroid Nodules - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs you experienced for thyroid nodules?

Comment from: brooklyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am 78 years old and had routine carotid artery ultrasound that showed part of the thyroid with a lump about 1 cm. I had an ultrasound of my thyroid and found that I have a nodule. I will have a needle biopsy. In the 1950s I had radiation therapy and ultraviolet light therapy for acne. I am on Lexapro for the past year, following a double mastectomy for cancer. I had no symptoms that I attributed to my thyroid but my hair is thinner and I'm 20 pounds heavier in the last 15 years. I also have a recently diagnosed (last week) aneurysm. These are not the golden years.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have a feeling of fullness in my throat/neck area that can be annoying. I especially feel it if my head is down while reading. I was just told I have two small nodules on either side and will be seeing a specialist next. I am not worried but being cautious.

Comment from: whats real at 46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Looked in the mirror and noticed a lump under my "Adam's apple" (but I'm a woman). Ultrasound indicated several nodules and cysts in both lobes and the isthmus. Awaiting official results of fine needle aspiration biopsy; although radiologist and pathologist think they are benign. TSH over the years has always been slightly under the "normal" range. But the T-3 and T-4 have been slightly above the normal range. There was no concern from doctors over the years regarding the blood tests. No other obvious symptoms. No rapid weight gain or loss. Hair loss, but its not thinning. Skin is not dry, but no longer oily either. Hard to tell if heart beat occasionally is rapid or if I'm imaging it. Tired, but who isn't these days.

Comment from: Ebonyeyes, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been monitoring the nodule on the lower left hand side of my neck for a few years now. It's pretty obvious that I have a nodule because it goes up and down when I swallow. I have no pain, no symptoms, and the biopsies that I have endured show no cancer, yet it keeps growing. My doctor has recommended total removal of the thyroid gland. After removal I will need to take a thyroid replacement tablet for the rest of my life. I have finally decided to have the thyroid removed. I don't like the unsightly lump in my neck and don't want to take the chance that I have cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I didn't have any symptoms or signs with my thyroid nodules. I had gone to my doctor for another issue. After my exam, he said I should have an ultrasound of my thyroid. I asked why and he said because I have been on thyroid medicine for 20 years. So I did and it showed nodules. I had it repeated in six months and a biopsy one month later (which I just found out was fine). So hopefully you have a doctor who is on the ball and if there is any thyroid history in your family, you may want to have it checked.

Comment from: Lila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

In 2006, I had a lot of pain in my muscles, joints and long and heavy periods, acne, weight gain, etc. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and insulin resistance. I am on .025 Synthroid and 500 mg Metformin. I have been OK until last May 2008 when they discovered two swollen nodules on my thyroid. They are going to perform a needle biopsy. I have a hard time swallowing and even touching my throat. My hormone levels are normal, but my autoimmune antibodies are high. I am in tons of pain in my joints and muscles. I sleep all day long and night, my face is breaking out, and my periods are heavy again. My specialist said that it can't be from Hashimoto's, but my family doctor said it is. I feel like I am going crazy, but the signs are all there that it is Hashimoto's. I am just waiting on my biopsy to see what the next step is.

Comment from: Ina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had significant weight gain in the past three months, I'm always clearing my throat, my hair is dry and falling out, and I'm exhausted. I had lab work done three months ago and the TSH was high. But on repeat tests, they were "normal." But I felt something on my neck. An ultrasound showed a "mass" near my thyroid. The radiologist suggested a CT scan. It found an area of concern: a nodule on my posterior right thyroid (no size given). Now, the radiologist wants another ultrasound. There are no other plans I guess, and I am really concerned.

Thyroid Nodules - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid nodules?
Thyroid Nodules - Type Question: What type of thyroid nodule did you have?
Thyroid Nodules - Tests and Diagnosis Question: Describe the tests and events that led to a diagnosis of thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Nodules - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with a thyroid goiter.