Patient Comments: Thyroid Disorders - Symptoms and Signs

What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what were your symptoms and signs?

A Doctor's View on Thyroid Disease Symptoms and Signs

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Thyroid diseases cause symptoms because of an over or under function of the thyroid gland. Symptoms of thyroid disease depend on the particular disorder a person has. Five common symptoms of thyroid disease include mental fogginess, nervousness and tremor, changes in menstruation, bloating, and weight gain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: kabhi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I have had thyroid problems for years. Initially hyper and then hypo (now). I wonder if one can have hyper and hypo symptoms simultaneously or maybe I am suffering from something else. I have shortness of breath, loss of balance (I walk like a drunk especially when I look sideways), muscle weakness, pounding heart, high blood pressure, coordination, and tremors, I get words wrong, and lack fluency; and yet my blood results are within range.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

It took years for any doctors to take me seriously. I was told that I was fine and may be depressed. I eventually found a great doctor who was working on a bowel syndrome and he found out what was wrong. I am exhausted most of the time. One thyroid was removed due to a large growth on the larynx, which could have been avoided if it had been managed properly. My memory is very bad. This could be because, I feel that there is a connection with chlorine in the water. Also stress and smoking could be factors, as I smoked as a young girl.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I had weight gain, heat intolerance, palpitations, dry skin, and fatigue. After being on Synthroid for a couple of years, eventually my thyroid levels returned to normal. I still have to have it checked annually to make sure it doesn't return.

Comment from: Dina fayez, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I have had hypothyroidism since 5 years and am taking treatment with Eltroxin 100 mg. I take blood test (TSH) every six months but I feel tired. I have antithyroid antibodies (antithyroglobulin AB and antimicrosomal AB) which was positive with high range 108 and 668.

Comment from: helpfulheather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My symptoms are hot flashes or prolong intervals of hot sweats, shortness of breath, I have pain in my legs which at times swelling occurs and redness. My back spasms and I feel like I am being given electric shocks. I can walk out of one room and feel fine then by the time I get to the next room I feel foggy and my memory is blurred with all of the above symptoms occurring. My mood is up and down as is my weight. I have been asked at work if I had a drug addition due to some of my symptoms and been made to test. Good thing my test came back negative or I would be fired due to have a thyroid illness. I am wondering if other people go through this and if so what do they take for it?

Comment from: D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I had fatigue, eye problems, couldn't swallow, it was difficult to talk or move my legs. I also had brittle nails and night sweats.

Comment from: nicenot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

With my thyroid disease my symptoms include cold intolerance, brain fog, loss of hair, nails falling apart, weight gain.....etc. I've got 48 out of 50 symptoms and have been taking thyroid medications over 11 years. Armour worked the best until they decided I should change and now I am a mess and worse. Going back to Armour at a lower dose but something is still wrong. I am allergic to seafood and iodine. Really sick of whole process at this point.

Thyroid Disorders - Experience Question: Please describe the type of thyroid disorder you have, and your experience with the disorder.
Thyroid Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what treatments have you received?
Thyroid Disorders - Surgery Question: What type of thyroid disorder did/do you have, and please describe your experience with surgery for the disorder.
Thyroid Disorders - Diagnosis Question: How was your thyroid disorders diagnosed?
Thyroid Disorders - Hypothyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hypothyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Hyperthyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid goiter.
Thyroid Disorders - Nodules Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid nodules.