Patient Comments: Thyroid Disorders - Experience

Please describe the type of thyroid disorder you have, and your experience with the disorder.

Comment from: Deena, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have been diagnosed with Graves' disease. Two years ago I started to have vision problems due to Graves'. I have had two surgeries on my left eye but still continue to have the double vision, mostly when trying to read. Since my last surgery a year ago the double vision has not subsided and at my last visit to the specialist (last week) she seems to think that it may be starting up in the right eye now. I now have an appointment for more testing on the right eye. Maybe if we do it now, it can be controlled with the steroid injections. Just like in the left eye, there are no guarantees. I wonder if anyone has the same problem with their vision, the bulging eyes, and the depression. I sure could use a friend.

Comment from: Mocha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have had hypothyroid since I was 14 and now 34 years old. My life hasn't been easy physically or mentally. At age 18 somehow I had hyperthyroid and when I was pregnant with my son I was thyroid free but told it would return which it did. I get migraines, suffer from brittle hair and dry skin, horrible weight gain, joint pains, can't focus and always fatigued. I just take my medication and take it a day at a time. As I get older it gets worse. It may just be a disorder, but it truly can affect you if not managed properly. So I've had hypothyroid for 20 years. Although it's an everyday struggle energy-wise to get through the day, I am thankful I can still do things.

Comment from: Clara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am a female, 46 year old. I am a very active person. I go to the gym minimum 5 days a week and take kickboxing 3 times per week. My eating is very healthy and I barely eat any sweets. However, I have been noticing very rapid and uncontrollable weight gain over the last 6 to 8 months. My heartbeat tends to slow down and I get some palpitation on a few occasions. I tend to get depressed very frequently. I visited my doctor and was told thyroid count is lower than usual. He put be in a low dose medication, but one of the side effects is hair loss. I am very concerned. I do not like taking or depending on medicines that will trigger other problems. I need to know if there is anything I could do naturally.

Published: October 06

I am speaking for my daughter. She's 15 years old. She was diagnosed with thyroid disease The doctor referred it as toxic thyroid since her thyroxine level went down to zero. She' taking medications and the doctor had suggested for her to take radioactive iodine. Accordingly it is safe. But I still have doubt about it. She is only 15 years old. Thank you very much.

Comment from: Diane W., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Last week I had my thyroid removed. I have a follow-up appointment with both my surgeon and my endocrinologist, but that is a week away. I was and still am wondering what it meant when after the surgery I was told that my thyroid was unusually small in size. My thyroid was covered in nodules and pathology will examine if they are benign or malignant. My voice is deeper and very robotic sounding. I feel like I have been through a lot these past 2 plus years. January, 2007, I had a triple by-pass. I have had low energy for months and have been very sensitive to the cold.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have hair loss, weight gain and all the usual symptoms of thyroid problem but I was not prepared for seven months and counting of numerous severe muscle spasms that interfere with daily life and safety factors when driving. Nights are pure agony. That's when they are the worst. Every movement in sleep causes a spasm that needs immediate attention by jumping out of bed to stretch and hold it and hope it doesn't take fifteen minutes. I grit my teeth to keep from screaming from the pain. My neurologist says it is thyroid. I don't get to see an endocrinologist for another twenty days. The spasms are getting worse despite Neurontin and baclofen being increased. I am scared.

Thyroid Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what treatments have you received?
Thyroid Disorders - Surgery Question: What type of thyroid disorder did/do you have, and please describe your experience with surgery for the disorder.
Thyroid Disorders - Diagnosis Question: How was your thyroid disorders diagnosed?
Thyroid Disorders - Hypothyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hypothyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Hyperthyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid goiter.
Thyroid Disorders - Nodules Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Disorders - Symptoms and Signs Question: What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what were your symptoms and signs?