Patient Comments: Thyroid Disorders - Experience

Please describe the type of thyroid disorder you have, and your experience with the disorder.

Comment from: Clara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I am a female, 46 year old. I am a very active person. I go to the gym minimum 5 days a week and take kickboxing 3 times per week. My eating is very healthy and I barely eat any sweets. However, I have been noticing very rapid and uncontrollable weight gain over the last 6 to 8 months. My heartbeat tends to slow down and I get some palpitation on a few occasions. I tend to get depressed very frequently. I visited my doctor and was told thyroid count is lower than usual. He put be in a low dose medication, but one of the side effects is hair loss. I am very concerned. I do not like taking or depending on medicines that will trigger other problems. I need to know if there is anything I could do naturally.

Published: October 06

I am speaking for my daughter. She's 15 years old. She was diagnosed with thyroid disease The doctor referred it as toxic thyroid since her thyroxine level went down to zero. She' taking medications and the doctor had suggested for her to take radioactive iodine. Accordingly it is safe. But I still have doubt about it. She is only 15 years old. Thank you very much.

Comment from: Diane W., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Last week I had my thyroid removed. I have a follow-up appointment with both my surgeon and my endocrinologist, but that is a week away. I was and still am wondering what it meant when after the surgery I was told that my thyroid was unusually small in size. My thyroid was covered in nodules and pathology will examine if they are benign or malignant. My voice is deeper and very robotic sounding. I feel like I have been through a lot these past 2 plus years. January, 2007, I had a triple by-pass. I have had low energy for months and have been very sensitive to the cold.

Comment from: Riverview, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

At age 48 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, which is a form of hypothyroidism. Every time I think about this, my blood pressure goes through the roof because I had the classic symptoms for almost 10 years before any doctor thought to order a TSH test. At time of diagnosis, it came back with a reading of 160! I asked how I could even function at that level and my (new) doctor replied that, o, the body just gets used to it. My ongoing symptoms were extremely dry skin and hoarseness/laryngitis that would come and go spontaneously. One minute I could talk, the next minute I couldn't, and 10 minutes later I could talk again. And, yes, I experienced early menopause. Along the way, doctors kept asking if I were unusually tired. That was the wrong question to ask. I had jobs in which I might easily put in a 10-hour day. I didn't feel particularly tired. The fact that I was going to bed earlier and earlier I just chalked up to getting older (and getting up at 6 AM). By my mid-40s I was getting unusually cold in the evenings - even when other people in the room said the temperature was comfortable. I bought a sweater. Eventually, I had difficulty swallowing - it felt like a big apple had lodged in my throat. When I was finally diagnosed, I looked up Hashimoto's Disease on the Web and discovered that about 10% of women over the age of 40 develop this condition. So why did it take years for any of my doctors to order a lousy $40 blood test? (I had a number of doctors because I had moved several times. But nevertheless, each one heard my symptoms in detail and either wrote it off as a whiny woman complaining or viewed each symptom separately without looking at the cluster of symptoms together. You don't know the number of different dry skin creams I tried - with no relief.) The moral to the story: insist that your doctor order a TSH test as part of your annual exam regardless of your age! Additionally, don't let doctors bully you with numbers once you do get medication. Even though my TSH tests came back in the normal range after being prescribed Synthroid/Levoxyl, etc. I still didn't feel "normal" and my skin was still very dry. I read about Cytomel and was all set to argue with another new doctor to prescribe it, when he said that he always prescribes Synthroid/Levoxyl in combination with Cytomel. What a difference it has made over these past few years.

Comment from: Brisley, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I've been experiencing these symptoms – fever, dehydration, rapid heart rate, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, weakness, fever and disorientation. I had the nodules removed last year. I'm on 0.1mg thyroxin and calcium. I feel I'm at a dead end. I can't carry anything heavy. I explained to a doctor from SOPD (specialist out-patient department) that my throat is dry, that I feel like I'm being throttled. The response was it's a healing process.

Thyroid Disorders - Treatment Question: What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what treatments have you received?
Thyroid Disorders - Surgery Question: What type of thyroid disorder did/do you have, and please describe your experience with surgery for the disorder.
Thyroid Disorders - Diagnosis Question: How was your thyroid disorders diagnosed?
Thyroid Disorders - Hypothyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hypothyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Hyperthyroidism Question: Please describe your experience with hyperthyroidism.
Thyroid Disorders - Goiter Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid goiter.
Thyroid Disorders - Nodules Question: Please describe your experience with thyroid nodules.
Thyroid Disorders - Symptoms and Signs Question: What type of thyroid disorder do you have, and what were your symptoms and signs?