Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Treatments

What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?

Comment from: Ps, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I'm 29. A few months ago I was gaining some weight and always feeling lazy and tired so I went to my doc, she asked me for T3, T4 and TSH blood test. The results weren't good so she asked for an ultrasound and that's where they saw a 1 cm nodule. I had to do a biopsy and results came out as suspicious of having papillary thyroid carcinoma, so the doctor advised me to remove all the gland so I had surgery. After they did biopsy on the gland results were positive, now I have to take the radioactive iodine to clean the whole area.

Comment from: judy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 42 and I was diagnosed last July with thyroid cancer. Going to the veterans hospital removed a whole thyroid in October. I went through radiation started on the hormone therapy in December. They found more cancer in the lymph nodes and I had a second surgery the first of March. They did the Iodine test found more cancer cells. Waiting on a pet scan to see what's next. My doctor told me at the beginning that it would be a long process still waiting. It could be so long because I have to go through the VA hospital.

Comment from: maramorai, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

A few months ago I had an MRI on my neck for my spine. A lump was seen on my thyroid. After an ultrasound and blood work I was sent to an ENT doctor. He did a fine needle biopsy on my right Thyroid. He told me it would be three to four days before I got the results. It was one day and he said it is Follicular Thyroid cancer. I asked for a gift receipt because it was going back and not the Mother's day gift I wanted. In another week I have to schedule my surgery. He is only planning on removing the right side, but will check the left at the same time. I do not know much more of anything else. I am a mom who is 35 and my husband is a long haul trucker. I am scared and do not know anyone else with this condition.

Comment from: Patty, 65-74 Female Published: May 15

My mom had pain in her neck, I think. She had an ultrasound and is now waiting to have an appointment with an endocrinologist. Two nodules were seen. I am especially worried because I just read something about breast cancer spreading to the thyroid. I think it's good advice to remove any and all negative people in your life while trying to heal. Years ago, I had a lump under my arm. It was tested, biopsied, everything – it was nothing. The doctor also found a lump in my colon, and I had all these tests and things set up. It was very scary. When I went in for surgery, it was gone. Where did it go? Who knows?

Comment from: adz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had been using Thyroxine for the past 10 years until it was recently discovered I have thyroid cancer. My doctor said I can't take the radioactive iodine unless my nodules are removed first. It's bigger than the required size. I'm afraid to undergo another operation on my neck, as it's was my third already. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: my2kids4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have a thyroid problem and I'm below active. Besides that I have had problems in my chest where the thyroid is. When I lay down I start to breathe funny like wheezing. I have already had this checked out last year and they said it was bronchial Asthma, but I don't really think so it only happens when I lay down. After reading about the symptoms for thyroid cancer should I get it checked out again. I do have cancer (breast) in my family.

Comment from: fran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I had b- cell follicular thyroid cancer 2 years ago. It was removed and the medications were increased. This is a very rare form of cancer. I think it was caused by Brach therapy radiation for breast cancer 11 years ago. I am now having problems regulating the amount of medications to take. I recently had a pet scan to see if the lymphoma is anywhere else in the body, I'm waiting on the results. I was in the ER last night for elevated blood pressure and palpitations; I think my thyroid is the cause.

Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.