Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Treatments

What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?

Comment from: Mommajo223, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have a new diagnosis of follicular thyroid cancer and will be seeing a surgeon this week. No symptoms at all. We were actually ruling my thyroid out for other reasons. It is over a centimeter and there is also a small nodule on the right that is solid, so I'm guessing the whole thyroid will go. Just kinda bummed out about it. I have been dealing with other health issues this year and thought I was about to get my green light and not be poked on anymore. Know I will rise out of this but am concerned.

Comment from: JessieP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Thirty years ago when I was 23 years old, the doctors removed only the left lobe of my thyroid. I refused to have the other side radiated at the time. I have had no recurrence of cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

After I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I had surgery to remove the half of the thyroid with the tumor. When I had a recurrence 7 months later, I had a radical neck dissection, which removed the rest of my thyroid as well as many lymph nodes in my mediastinem. This was followed by I-131. I had another recurrence 18 years later which was treated with I-131, and which eliminated some, but not all, of the tumors. Surgery right now would be more dangerous than letting the cancer stay where it is, so I watch and wait.

Comment from: lulu, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I had a lump show up in my neck about 10 years ago. I went to see my Doctor who immediately sent for test. I had scans and a biopsy done right away. It was concluded that the lump would have to be removed. They told me if it was not cancer they would just remove the lump and that side of the thyroid. The lump was removed and that side. The lump was sent for testing and it came back that it was cancer. So I went in for another surgery to remove the rest of my thyroid and some lymph nodes just to be sure. They found a little more activity so they had me go in for another surgery just to remove more lymph nodes. I had radioactive iodine treatment and I have been feeling fine since. It was hard having 3 surgeries right after each other. My meds are adjusted from time to time and I still go for my yearly checkup with my cancer doctor.

Comment from: Ms Puppet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My symptoms were a lump in my neck and sleepless nights that led to disorientation during the day from lack of sleep. Found a lump in my neck and the doctor kept an eye on it for 2 years. Did an aspiration and told me that he just didn't like what he saw. Had the left side of the thyroid out and was sent to the lab which concluded that it was thyroid cancer. Sent the sample to the nearest University and they said it wasn't. I had no idea what to do next so my surgeon sent it to the top thyroid expert and she said that if they were to poll 10 experts on my case we would have 5 doctors say it was cancer and 5 doctors say it was not. My surgeon gave me the choice of what to do next. Have the other half out or leave it in and keep an eye on it, but I would probably have to have it removed later in life. I chose to have the other half removed. It was removed 4 weeks after the first half. I did radiation on the portion in the middle to dissolve it. Since my surgery I have had 2 I131 body scans and 2 sonograms and everything seems to be ok. My doctor sees me once a year to check my levels. I am currently on synthroid 112. If you are faced with the decision of whether or not to have the surgery. Have the surgery. Mine was considered outpatient, but I did spend one night in the hospital. Oxycodone for pain, which was minimal, and a few annoying doctor visits and you will be glad you did.

Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.