Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience

Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.

Comment from: PN, 25-34 (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My cousin has had the fourth surgery as he has thyroid cancer. After almost two month he still cannot eat anything. The tongue cannot propel the chewed food into the throat, and if he by chance could swallow a small piece of food, he would suffer from the stomachache as the acid in his stomach is higher than the amount of food. He has got a kind of intestinal tube for feeding, but the problem of swallowing is still something that he suffers a lot from. His doctor says that it takes 6 months for him to recover since the nerves are not destroyed. I am wondering if there is any device or solution for making the swallowing act possible for him.

Comment from: Ken, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

My mother and sisters always had thyroid issues and I consistently had my thyroid levels checked and they were always fine, but I didn"t feel fine. I finally asked for an ultrasound and the doctor said there was no point unless my thyroid was not smooth. After feeling my thyroid, she sent me for an ultra sound. The results came in and she referred me to a surgeon. They did not do a biopsy since the largest nodule was 4.6cm and had to be removed. Surgery was fine and the biopsy took almost two weeks to get back. The endocrinologist said based on the size I likely had it for decades, so very fortunate it was non-invasive. There was debate on if it was cancer or not, but ultimately determined it was, so I took the radioactive iodine. It has been a year and all is good; adjusted medicine a few times and blood work still looks good. I wish I would have pushed to have ultrasound years earlier.

Comment from: christiw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I just had thyroid surgery on February 17 2014 I had my whole thyroid out due to nodules on both sides. My food would get stuck in my throat and I would get shortness of breath. They put me on Synthroid 25 mg which was supposed to shrink it but didn't. So that"s when they decided the only thing to do is to remove it. I"m not going to lie I was extremely nervous about the surgery. But when I got to the hospital I calmed down. They got me hooked up to the IV drip and then rolled me to the surgery room .They put a tube in my throat after I was out, to monitor my veins and stuff in my throat . So when I woke up from surgery I started throwing up from the anesthesia. But then I was fine. My throat felt like it was on fire at first, my first meal at the hospital was potato soup chocolate pudding and chocolate ice cream. But after that I was eating regular food. My throat was still sore but bearable. I stayed in the hospital for 2 nights and 3 days because of my calcium levels. I take Synthroid 112 mg and I take Rocaltrol 25 mg and TUMS Ultra. I"m at day 4 and I feel great. My neck is kind of stiff on the outside but other than that I feel pretty good. Just still taking it easy though. If I had to do it again I would.

Comment from: Drew, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I'm 56 and my nodules were found during a health screening. That screening changed and saved my life. I've had a biopsy which was suspicious, so I opted on surgery that found both sides were cancerous. I'll recoup and then move on with whatever they suggest as far as treatments. I'm not thinking the worst until told differently. It won't rule my life!

Comment from: mamie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had my entire thyroid removed 1 week ago, there was cancer on both sides which I knew going in. I was and am so scared, I did not tell anyone what was wrong except my husband and while in hospital on pain meds, and two of my best friends. How will I know if I need chemo or radiation? I have to beat this as I have two grandchildren who need me.

Comment from: Sergio, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I had medullary thyroid cancer surgery four years ago, but in 2012 the calcitonin marker reappeared. I wonder if increased fatigue, along with general aches and pains, are symptoms of recurring medullary thyroid cancer or if I'm just getting old? Everything else is normal: mental function, sex drive, passion for literature/art/ and ideas.

Comment from: lori j, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

In January of 2012 I went to see a doctor about a lump in my throat. A biopsy was performed, but it was inconclusive. I had half my thyroid removed in August of 2012, and it was diagnosed as papillary thyroid cancer. A second surgery is booked for March 22, 2013. I was told I'll need to have radioactive treatments--just not sure when that will be done.

Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?