Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 26

I had no obvious symptoms. I had Thyroiditis as a teenager and had developed some scar tissue in my neck that looked like a Goiter. At my annual physical with my family physician, I asked my doctor what baseline tests I should have before turning 40 and she recommended that I have an ultrasound of my neck to see if nodules had developed. The ultrasound revealed two tumors. Four tumors - all cancerous were discovered during my biopsy. My biopsy took only 15 minutes and I learned that day that I had Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Listen to your body, be proactive, be your own health advocate - it may save your life!

Published: June 20

A large non-painful lump on the front of my neck.

Published: June 18

I was very tired and had a sinus infection that would not go away.

Published: June 09

I had a constant sore throat and it was hard to swallow. I would also notice my voice would go hoarse and then be fine.

Comment from: Christie , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I like many others knew nothing about the lump on my thyroid. I was 32 when diagnosed. After inconclusive needle biopsies it was decided to have a total thyroidectomy. This turned out to save my life. Both follicular and papillary cells were found along with Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. I went through all the radiation and such following the surgery. Since then I take from 275mcg to 350mcg of Levoxyl.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I felt like something was stuck in my throat when I swallowed. Not only was I diagnosed for thyroid cancer but I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Had been having symptoms of Hypothyroid for several years but doctors dismissed my symptoms and never tested me.

Comment from: Joydog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed as having papillary carcinoma. I wanted to know if I will have to get chemotherapy after surgery. My doctor wants to remove the tumor. He said that it is curable.

Comment from: beverlyboop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My neck became stiff, was very tired and irritable and my voice became very hoarse. Doctor ordered MRI and they discovered a mass in my neck. Further tests revealed thyroid cancer. I haven't started treatment yet. Still under going tests to see if it is localized or if it has spread to other parts of my body. It has moved my windpipe, that's why I had trouble breathing.

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.