Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Silver Streaks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with two thyroid nodules and goiter three years ago. The doctor did a biopsy, which came back benign. My doctor said I needed to have an ultrasound every six months anyway. Then the ultrasound in December of 2012 showed that the nodule had grown three times its original size. My TSH had gone down to almost nothing, all of a sudden. I selected an endocrine surgeon who removed my entire thyroid, which was now cancerous, and also a benign parathyroid tumor. Then I had to go on the two-week low-iodine diet in preparation for my radioactive iodine treatment. I was in isolation for 24 hours in the hospital and then for a week I had to stay 3 feet away from people. I am still in shock over the whole experience. I go back for a check-up in six months.

Comment from: whutch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had no symptoms whatsoever of having papillary thyroid cancer. My family doctor diagnosed a small mass in right thyroid area as part of my annual physical. She referred me to an X-ray/ultrasound specialist, who confirmed a cancerous mass. I was then referred to a specialist/surgeon, and received a biopsy to confirm size and stage. I had surgery to remove my total thyroid.

Comment from: mazza, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I have an under active thyroid for 6-7 yrs and I find I can't take Eltroxin. I feel edgy frustrated and fatigue, so I stopped taking it. I am now worried I might have thyroid cancer I have a few of the symptoms associated with this disease and I'm very worried and scared to go to a doctor with it because it then becomes very real.

Comment from: faresvenus, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

About 2 years before being diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I was having difficulty swallowing carbonated beverages when my head was tilted back. As much as a year before being diagnosed I would get swollen glands in my neck and feeling like I was coming down with a bad cold but never got a cold. My glands would swell up about every 6 weeks. Six months before being diagnosed I was feeling pressure on my throat when I would lay on my back I also started having pain in my neck around this same time.

Comment from: Gargoyale, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I had a small pea size-lump on my right-side thyroid. It came just after the birth of my second child. The doctor said he couldn't feel anything and likely thought I was having postpartum depression. My other symptoms were extreme weakness, tiredness and mental issues. It was more than two years later that I settled down and had it checked out again, and by this time it was the size of a walnut. It was hard to breathe and swallow, and it was painful. It was papillary cancer. Two surgeries and 20 some years later, and I am doing OK.

Published: July 23

I went for a routine check up, and my primary care physician discovered a very small bump. Even when she showed me where it was, I could not feel it. The ultra sound revealed a small nodule on the lower left thyroid. The biopsy revealed papillary thyroid carcinoma.

Published: July 14

I had a total thyroidectomy after 3 fine needle aspirates of nodules were inconclusive. Symptoms were hoarseness of the voice & feeling like I couldnt swallow. The histology results showed papillary thyroid cancer but my surgeon says no further treatment is required other than regular neck ultrasounds. I'mnot sure if I'm happy with this as I have had the nodules for close on 4 years. Any advice from anyone in a similar situation would be appreciated. thank, Meg

Published: July 01

I didn't notice anything, but at a regular check-up the doctor asked me how long I had had a lump in my neck. It was very noticeable once you paid attention to its existence. I had no metabolic effects. They did a biopsy and found no cancer. They took out half of the thyroid and upon examination found no cancer, but the four-day lab test found extensive follicular cancer so they took out the second half of the thyroid gland. I'm on Levoxyl or its generic equivalent. Unfortunately, the tumor was large when discovered and I was over 40, so my prognosis is to have 50% chance of living 10 years and a 25% chance of living 20 years. I've never been good at statistics, so I'm planning on proving them wrong.

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.