Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: July 14

I had a total thyroidectomy after 3 fine needle aspirates of nodules were inconclusive. Symptoms were hoarseness of the voice & feeling like I couldnt swallow. The histology results showed papillary thyroid cancer but my surgeon says no further treatment is required other than regular neck ultrasounds. I'mnot sure if I'm happy with this as I have had the nodules for close on 4 years. Any advice from anyone in a similar situation would be appreciated. thank, Meg

Published: July 01

I didn't notice anything, but at a regular check-up the doctor asked me how long I had had a lump in my neck. It was very noticeable once you paid attention to its existence. I had no metabolic effects. They did a biopsy and found no cancer. They took out half of the thyroid and upon examination found no cancer, but the four-day lab test found extensive follicular cancer so they took out the second half of the thyroid gland. I'm on Levoxyl or its generic equivalent. Unfortunately, the tumor was large when discovered and I was over 40, so my prognosis is to have 50% chance of living 10 years and a 25% chance of living 20 years. I've never been good at statistics, so I'm planning on proving them wrong.

Published: June 26

I had no obvious symptoms. I had Thyroiditis as a teenager and had developed some scar tissue in my neck that looked like a Goiter. At my annual physical with my family physician, I asked my doctor what baseline tests I should have before turning 40 and she recommended that I have an ultrasound of my neck to see if nodules had developed. The ultrasound revealed two tumors. Four tumors - all cancerous were discovered during my biopsy. My biopsy took only 15 minutes and I learned that day that I had Papillary Thyroid Cancer. Listen to your body, be proactive, be your own health advocate - it may save your life!

Published: June 20

A large non-painful lump on the front of my neck.

Published: June 18

I was very tired and had a sinus infection that would not go away.

Published: June 09

I had a constant sore throat and it was hard to swallow. I would also notice my voice would go hoarse and then be fine.

Comment from: Christie , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I like many others knew nothing about the lump on my thyroid. I was 32 when diagnosed. After inconclusive needle biopsies it was decided to have a total thyroidectomy. This turned out to save my life. Both follicular and papillary cells were found along with Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism. I went through all the radiation and such following the surgery. Since then I take from 275mcg to 350mcg of Levoxyl.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I felt like something was stuck in my throat when I swallowed. Not only was I diagnosed for thyroid cancer but I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Had been having symptoms of Hypothyroid for several years but doctors dismissed my symptoms and never tested me.

Comment from: Joydog, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed as having papillary carcinoma. I wanted to know if I will have to get chemotherapy after surgery. My doctor wants to remove the tumor. He said that it is curable.

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.