Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

When I was 45 years old, I started having numbness over my entire body, and my mouth started to droop, similar to Bell's palsy. One day, I felt entirely strange, and I thought I was having an aneurysm. I called the doctor, and he told me to come in right away. Once I was at the doctor's office, he could feel a large lump on the right side of my neck. I had never noticed it before, but it must have been there, because it was very noticeable. He sent me to a specialist, and through radioactive testing, they discovered it was a nodule on my thyroid. The doctor scheduled me for a thyroidectomy. He said they would check for cancer during the surgery, and if it was cancerous, they would take out the whole thyroid. If it wasn't cancerous, they would only remove half of the thyroid. The primary tests showed no cancer in the large nodule, but later testing showed cancer in the smaller nodules. Ten days later, I had the other half of my thyroid surgically removed. The cancer was papillary and follicular. I did not have any treatments other than surgery, as I was in the very early stages and the cancerous nodule was small. They told me my thyroid was full of nodules. Thyroid problems run in my family, with my sister having Grave's disease at the age of 15. I used to take Synthroid, but now I take Armour on a daily basis. I have less ups and downs with the Armour.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I had no symptoms. My GP thought I had lupus and sent me to a Rheumatologist. After several months and as many blood draws, I was told I did not have lupus, but I had a small nodule on my thyroid. I was then sent to another doctor. An ultrasound gave the size; needle aspiration was not possible due to the location of the nodule. I was given 3 options. 1st--wait and watch; 2nd--med and hope it became smaller; 3rd--not recommended but was an option was to have the nodule removed. Since I had 2 kids in high school, and their father had died when they were six, we (all of us together) decided it did not belong there and have it removed. When I saw the surgeon to schedule, he laughed and said if I was a man the surgery would be almost an emergency since theirs were usually cancerous. When I came to in the recovery room, the nurse mentioned that I had a total thyroidectomy. I knew at that point mine was cancer.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was extremely tired and irritable for weeks until I started to have bad dizzy spells that made me feel drunk even after long hours of sleep and complete bed rest for three days. I knew something was wrong, but the doctors told me it was stress. A few weeks later a lump appeared on the left side of my throat and a biopsy and blood results showed papillary thyroid cancer.

Published: July 14

I went to a stroke prevention screening and had an ultrasound on my carotid arteries, and I noticed they kept going over the same area. A couple of weeks later, in the mail, the results came back and said that my thyroid needed to be checked out by my doctor. The doctor sent me to a specialist, who sent me to a surgery specialist. It was papillary thyroid cancer. The scary part is that I had no symptoms.

Comment from: Metsgirl721, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 38 years old, I had swollen lymph nodes in neck since 2010. Last year I had one, moveable, on my collar bone only 7mm. All doctors said everything is fine, blood work is okay, they removed 1 lymph node and said it's reactive. Now on an incidental finding I have nodules on thyroid. Since July I've gained 10lbs, anxiety, a bag of nerves, trembling hands and twitches and told it was all stress; now I will wait for biopsy and go from there, listen to your body!

Comment from: Silver Streaks, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with two thyroid nodules and goiter three years ago. The doctor did a biopsy, which came back benign. My doctor said I needed to have an ultrasound every six months anyway. Then the ultrasound in December of 2012 showed that the nodule had grown three times its original size. My TSH had gone down to almost nothing, all of a sudden. I selected an endocrine surgeon who removed my entire thyroid, which was now cancerous, and also a benign parathyroid tumor. Then I had to go on the two-week low-iodine diet in preparation for my radioactive iodine treatment. I was in isolation for 24 hours in the hospital and then for a week I had to stay 3 feet away from people. I am still in shock over the whole experience. I go back for a check-up in six months.

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.