Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: butterflywings, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

When I was first diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I didn't feel any odd lumps or nodules in my neck, but I was suffering from muscle weakness, tiredness and getting constant colds. After a particularly nasty bug I noticed that my lymph nodes never seemed to go down in size. Once I had my treatment (thyroidectomy+radiation-iodine+medication) I felt more myself than I had done in years. A year on and another suspicious nodule has been seen on ultrasound scan. My doctors have recently asked me to increase my dose of thyroxine to reduce risk of it growing further until they find out exactly what it could be. But interestingly I'm starting to feel lethargic again, feeling cold, tired, also slight tickly cough, all pointing towards hypothyroidism. I wonder if it is possible that thyroid cancer somehow alters the way the hormone is taken on in the body; blood levels show that everything is normal, but I clearly am not!

Comment from: JCH29, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had what I can only describe as a muscle spasm in my throat. I would get a sharp pain at the base of my throat, followed by pain at the top of my throat (back roof of my mouth) and pain at the top of my stomach (where my throat met my stomach). If felt like my stomach and the roof of my mouth were being pulled to the thyroid. The only way I could help ease the pain was to drink ice cold water and "stretch" my throat by tilting my head up. I didn't think this was an issue until a cervical MRI happened to reveal a tumor on my thyroid. The "muscle spasms" I thought I was having turned out to be cancer. Had I said something 5 months earlier, I wouldn't be ill today. I had other symptoms (weight gain, hot flashes, odd pains, sweating all the time, fatigue, depression, and poor sleep) that were being dismissed via prescriptions for sleep aids, antidepressants, constipation, anti-anxiety drugs and narcotic pain medicines. These prescriptions only masked the symptoms of deadly cancer until things began to get worse.

Comment from: Hippiechic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I am a breast cancer survivor with thyroid nodules we are watching. I had inconclusive biopsy 3 years ago. One nodule solid, at last check 1 or 2 months ago had increased a little in size. I am to recheck in 6 months. At that visit my blood pressure was 209/98! I'd been on propranolol 40 mg for 6 months, just increased to 80 mg twice a day for one week. This doctor added lisinopril 5 mg, family doctor been trying to adjust medications. Can't stabilize. In the morning it is below 100/60, and every afternoon above 140/60! I am taking 40 mg propranolol morning and evening and also 20 mg lisinopril.

Comment from: shaksy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I've been getting progressively worse for the past 4 years, and have been trying to find a doctor who would listen, for that long too. I had 2 biopsies a year and a half ago, and 1 nodule came back undiagnostic both times. The surgeon said it was my choice to have it taken out, that it was the only way to be 100 percent sure, but both endocrinologists blew it off and said they weren't worried about it. Now I feel so bad. I keep getting sore throats, dizziness, sweats, nausea, fatigue, sleeplessness, and more, but the most worrisome is the lump on my neck. I asked the doctor (new doctor, so far she has listened to everything) if it could be from sinusitis but all she said was it is pretty big. I am scared about thyroid cancer. Ultrasound is tomorrow. I got from, 'oh, it'll be nothing, quit worrying,' to 'but there is a huge lump and you are so sick.' The new one couldn't believe that with low thyroid results since 2002, that no one has helped me! I told her every single one blamed my symptoms on anxiety. Ugh, but I'm trying to not get angry. Makes me feel worse.

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.