Patient Comments: Thyroid Cancer - Symptoms

The symptoms of thyroid cancer can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Polly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have been attending a rheumatologist with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and possible SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). For two months now I've been feeling worse and lost 4 kg. I had blood work done that showed high platelets, low ferritin and iron, high CRP and ESR. They also found blood in my stools. After scans and test, I have slightly enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and one in my groin and also a 7mm thyroid mass. I am waiting to see the specialist.

Comment from: Metsgirl721, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 38 years old, I had swollen lymph nodes in neck since 2010. Last year I had one, moveable, on my collar bone only 7mm. All doctors said everything is fine, blood work is okay, they removed 1 lymph node and said it's reactive. Now on an incidental finding I have nodules on thyroid. Since July I've gained 10lbs, anxiety, a bag of nerves, trembling hands and twitches and told it was all stress; now I will wait for biopsy and go from there, listen to your body!

Comment from: Frustrated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 46 years old and since the birth of my child 17 years ago I've had a number of symptoms. I can go down the symptom lists and check off all the symptoms. I have gone to numerous doctors telling them my concerns, only to be brushed off and told, “Eat less, exercise more, don't drink coffee, you're depressed, it's arthritis , perimenopause, irritable bowel syndrome, ulcerative colitis,” and numerous other problems. I know my body and felt like the doctors had no answers. They have done the routine thyroid tests and all were within normal range. Recently, I have lost more than 40 pounds without trying. The doctors are now finally taking me seriously, but now they think I have thyroid cancer. If you know you're not feeling right and getting pat answers, don't give up. Find a doctor who doesn't say, “I'm not sure” find one who says, “Let's find out.” I have cancerous nodules that were overlooked. Don't let it happen to you – you're not crazy. You know your body best, so listen to it.

Comment from: Sally, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My symptom of thyroid cancer was swelling in the neck. This really was of no major concern at the time, but relative tests found it to be cancer. Treatment commenced almost immediately, was hospitalized and treated with radioactive iodine. Treatment was successful and regular follow ups were clear. That was 14 years ago now, still have to have annual follow up and regular blood tests, but all is well.

Comment from: carolleej2, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've been sick for two years and out of work for more than one year. I was addicted to exercise. I loved that "exercise endorphin release". But, eventually I stopped getting that endorphin release and exercise made me chronically tired. I began having pain and fatigue all of the time. I got dizzy when I tried to exercise. Instantly I had high blood pressure after being low all of my previous life. Eventually I had edema and excessive sweating, then no sweating at all. After two years of seeing doctors and finding out I have been diagnosed with everything from Rheumatoid Arthritis to Biliary dyskinesia, Vitamin D deficiency, gastritis, lupus, possible sarcoidosis, possible Wegener' s, anemia, generalized pain, pituitary tumor, shortness of breath and lung scarring, blood in urine, mixed connective tissue disease... I could go on and on, but I have thyroid cancer. So, the doctors tell me there is no way my thyroid cancer could possibly be causing my problems. Does anyone have any similar stories? I am hoping with all my heart and soul that once this tumor is gone so will be the edema, lethargy, rashes, pain and discouragement. If anyone can shed light on this, please share. Thank you so much (in advance).

Thyroid Cancer - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your thyroid cancer?
Thyroid Cancer - Share Your Surgery Experience Question: Please share your experience with surgery for thyroid cancer.