Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing

Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?

Comment from: cozworth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I am on levothyroxine and my bloods came back at 6 where they should of been between 4/5 and my doctor has told me that I should double up on my tablets to 100mg I asked if I could just take the 75mg as I was on 50mg as I am also diabetic and have to inject myself but he was not any help at all he just told me that I was an adult and other people where on higher doses and to just get on with it, so I need to know if I need the extra with it only being just over the 5 I have an underactive thyroid.

Comment from: Notwell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed 10 years ago with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. It took three years of adjusting my Synthroid (from 25mcg to 137mcg) and I felt well for a long time. When I recently began having dizziness and shortness of breath (along with body pain and stiffness) my doctor suspected a lung or cardiac disorder. After waiting for a CT and pulmonary tests, the symptoms led me to the ER, and my TSH came in at 8.48. My doctor had said my TSH was normal, however, I know from the years of trials; I am only feeling well below a TSH of 2. Everyone is different, and I now know to ask for an increased dosage of Synthroid to lower my TSH. I hope it starts to work before I end up with cardiac damage.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

My new doctor looked at me and asked to check my neck. He said he thought i had an enlarged thyroid so he sent me for a untrasound which I had done today and I watched it and asked the tech what was the small things he was measuring. He said they were nodules, and I noticed there were several. This really concerns me I also noticed on the blood work sheet there is blood work for thyroid also.

Comment from: crazyhazeynut, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I sleep about 14 hours a day and when I'm not sleeping, I'm eating everything in sight.

Comment from: jag49s, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I had thyroid tests because I have pain all over my body burning sensations, cold sweats ringing in ears and burning behind my ears headaches and fatigue I also have cold sweats.

Comment from: Ed, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 06

Similar situations to these comments have been associated with brain tumors ( hypothalamic ). Get a brain MRI immediately.

Comment from: lbagain, Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I had a thyroid antibody test done and it came back at 222 - normal is between 0-34. It has taken three weeks to get an appointment with an endocrinologist. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia and have been put on permanent disability. My mind is going crazy with worry and frustration because I have no answers!

Comment from: SLP67, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I had thyroid blood tests done as a new patient, but I also have not been feeling well. I also advised my doctor that 2 years ago, I had a thyroid scan and showed small nodules. I felt they should have been looked at again as I was having pressure feelings on my throat, a hard time swallowing and a strangling/choking sensation all the time. I went today, saw bright spots on the screen and have now to wait 3 days for results.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I just had routine blood work done after my yearly exam. I am glad I did because it turned out that I have Hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis Question: How was your hypothyroidism diagnosed?