Patient Comments: Hypothyroidism - Diagnosis

How was your hypothyroidism diagnosed?

Comment from: Jenny in Arizona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 38 and a mother of three. Just recently, I was scared by odd chest sensations that turned out to be heart palpitations brought on by thyroid problems. My other symptoms were: hot feelings on my face, sweating, dizziness after the palpitations, inability to concentrate on a task and tenderness in my muscles and tingling limbs. My first blood test showed an underactive thyroid. After taking .025 mcg for 30 days, my blood tests still came back that I needed a dosage increase. So now I just started taking .05 mcg. My symptoms have decreased some. The heart palpitations are down to about three a day and only happen when I am busy doing activities. I still get dizzy, mostly in the mornings. (And mom if you are reading this: No, I am not pregnant, haha.) I am feeling so much better than I did one month ago, and I am looking forward to feeling even better as they regulate my thyroid levels. I hope this will help someone. If I am to have any health issues, this is the one I would choose because I already feel so much better, and I am still not where they want me to be.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I don't know what is wrong-my doctor says that all of my blood work is in the "high normal" ranges. I am a 50 year old female. Up until 6 months ago I would have described myself as normal, healthy very active professional. Since December I have lost 50 lbs, have very frequent periods (two or three times an hour) where I sweat profusely, cannot sleep, yet am constantly exhausted, easily agitated, short temper, difficulty concentrating, cannot remember anything (walk out of the room and forget what I went to get and I get lost on my way to the store) cannot complete a task, I am in constant pain, my muscles ache, and my joints are throbbing. My menstrual periods suddenly stopped in January. Yet my doctor says he can find no reason for any of my symptoms, and thinks it is all due to emotional things, although there have been no drastic changes in my life to cause any upheaval.

Comment from: karo21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism because my Free T4 level was .72 on a scale of .89 - 1.76 ng/dL and my TSH level was 21.56 on a scale of .35 - 5.50 uIU/mL. Have not received the test results back from my ultrasound and have a couple of weeks before my endocrinology appointment. I had a baby 9 months ago and believe the pregnancy onset slowed the acting thyroid. Some of my symptoms are no energy, not able to lose weight and sadness. My doctor prescribed Synthroid but I have not started taking it yet. I am more interested in addressing this temporary thyroid issue through holistic healing instead of taking a synthetic hormone for the rest of my life. To start I've been taking Iodine and am changing my diet with the help of my holistic doctor. If this does not work, then I will take the Synthroid. Woodland Hills, CA

Comment from: Katy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

When I was 14, my ninth grade English teacher told my mom I needed medicine for ADHD because I was to hyper. It was then I started Ritalin and was on it for 6 years, yet it never actually helped. I was still hyper and did horrible in school (short-term memory loss) but continued to persevere as I was in my second year of college and finally I went to the doctor for a rash (one of many that I constantly battled, along with no menstrual cycle, vomiting daily and short-term memory loss and emotional distress) and the pediatric doctor said he wanted to test me for thyroid disease. I was like Huh? What is that? Sure enough the vomiting was because my thyroid was overproducing so much of the thyroid hormone that the vomiting was my body's way of trying to get rid of it. I had radioactive iodine and have been well for about 3 years now. I have had a thyroid storm experience here lately, but there are always bumps in the road. My case was extremely out of the ordinary and one of the worst ones the doctors have seen. Oh and I was 90 pounds from the age of 13 until my diagnosis at age 21.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

Thyroid "blood" tests were not helpful, because the highly "sensitive TSH" and T4 did not show the health care professional that I had Hashimoto's. Nor did serum tests show that the high conversion from an eventual increased dose of L-thyroxine [200mcg] actually occurred, because I still had hypo symptoms. I knew this because no one had checked the FREE T3 and FREE T4. My TSH was in the low-normal reference range [0.44]; according to that specific lab. However, when the FT3 and FT4 were administered it showed that they were less than what was the lab's "normal-reference" range. Indicating that there was still a problem with my ability to convert all that T4 [storage hormone] to the active T3, indicating a poor conversion rate and perhaps adrenal dysfunction. Hypothyroidism is NOT the simple disease that most patients are lead to believe and the one-size-fits-all approach by doctors because of misinformation by the AMA - is harming more patients than are helped!

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?