Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: Denverbaby24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am beyond frustrated! I got lab work done due to my symptoms. I don"t have health insurance so I did a glucose and full thyroid screening. My first levels came back incredibly low, I felt like maybe this was the answer to my weight gain, heart palpitations, breaking out, extreme fatigue. The doctor ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid, and it said I had some minor cysts on the thyroid. I was then told to have blood work done again in 4 weeks. This blood work came back all normal ranges, but they only checked the TSH and T4 unlike the first time. I am to the point that I don"t know what to do anymore, I am at a loss.

Comment from: Rosemary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My T4 test came back 0.60 uIU/ml. My thyroid gland was removed surgically in my 20s. My physician just reduced my dosage from 1.0 to 0.88 and I find I"m not doing as well as on a higher dosage. I"ve recently, with diet, lost 30 lb. and this is the second time a doctor has lowered my dosage when I lose weight. Doesn"t seem to understand I don"t feel as well.

Comment from: Jenny in Arizona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 38 and a mother of three. Just recently, I was scared by odd chest sensations that turned out to be heart palpitations brought on by thyroid problems. My other symptoms were: hot feelings on my face, sweating, dizziness after the palpitations, inability to concentrate on a task and tenderness in my muscles and tingling limbs. My first blood test showed an underactive thyroid. After taking .025 mcg for 30 days, my blood tests still came back that I needed a dosage increase. So now I just started taking .05 mcg. My symptoms have decreased some. The heart palpitations are down to about three a day and only happen when I am busy doing activities. I still get dizzy, mostly in the mornings. (And mom if you are reading this: No, I am not pregnant, haha.) I am feeling so much better than I did one month ago, and I am looking forward to feeling even better as they regulate my thyroid levels. I hope this will help someone. If I am to have any health issues, this is the one I would choose because I already feel so much better, and I am still not where they want me to be.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I don't know what is wrong-my doctor says that all of my blood work is in the "high normal" ranges. I am a 50 year old female. Up until 6 months ago I would have described myself as normal, healthy very active professional. Since December I have lost 50 lbs, have very frequent periods (two or three times an hour) where I sweat profusely, cannot sleep, yet am constantly exhausted, easily agitated, short temper, difficulty concentrating, cannot remember anything (walk out of the room and forget what I went to get and I get lost on my way to the store) cannot complete a task, I am in constant pain, my muscles ache, and my joints are throbbing. My menstrual periods suddenly stopped in January. Yet my doctor says he can find no reason for any of my symptoms, and thinks it is all due to emotional things, although there have been no drastic changes in my life to cause any upheaval.

Comment from: karo21, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism because my Free T4 level was .72 on a scale of .89 - 1.76 ng/dL and my TSH level was 21.56 on a scale of .35 - 5.50 uIU/mL. Have not received the test results back from my ultrasound and have a couple of weeks before my endocrinology appointment. I had a baby 9 months ago and believe the pregnancy onset slowed the acting thyroid. Some of my symptoms are no energy, not able to lose weight and sadness. My doctor prescribed Synthroid but I have not started taking it yet. I am more interested in addressing this temporary thyroid issue through holistic healing instead of taking a synthetic hormone for the rest of my life. To start I've been taking Iodine and am changing my diet with the help of my holistic doctor. If this does not work, then I will take the Synthroid. Woodland Hills, CA

Comment from: Catbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After two years of severe illness, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. It has taken two years of gradual increases in my medication to finally get my TSH down to 2. I am now on 250 mcg of Synthroid. This disease is nothing to play with. I honestly felt like I was going crazy, gaining weight, had heart palpitations, chronic pain all over my body, the list goes on and on. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am now wondering if this is just another symptom of my disease.

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?