Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: losing weight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I will be 57 soon and have been on Synthroid for the past maybe 5 years. I weighed my self this morning and now I weigh 102. I hate this because I look like a skeleton. People have said you look sickly many times. My dose is 88mg. I've started taking half hoping that I'll gain some weight. I started out at 120 and felt great then got sick. My doctor doesn't seem to think my losing weight is a big deal.

Comment from: julie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with hypothyroidism and I am taking Eltroxin only 25mcg but I have no appetite. I work 12 hour shifts and can only eat breakfast. For the rest of the day all I can stomach is tea. I am just worried its the tablets not agreeing with me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I recently (5 weeks ago) started levothyroxine for underactive thyroid. I am a 54 years old, and run 50-60 miles per week, more during marathon training. I was told my problems were related to my age, my running, etc. Finally, I insisted to my family doctor that something was just not right. Having previously been diagnosed with WPW he did pay attention. I am thin and in good shape no one listened. If you feel something is not right, do your research. I now have even more energy and I feel like I a completely different person.

Comment from: Miserable in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just keep gaining weight. For example, I have gained 7lbs. in the last 6 weeks. I am tired and my blood pressure is high. I was told my thyroid is dead. I was put on Synthroid. I hated it. I would sweat all the time. I felt dizzy.

Comment from: emmajane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

My thyroid was surgically removed in 1997 and I have been on Synthroid ever since. I have blood work every 6 months. I can easily tell when my TSH levels are not "normal."

Comment from: darcy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Having been diagnosed at the age of 25 with hypothyroidism, it has been an up and down situation with medication adjustments every six weeks to three months. It can be frustrating; although after all this time I can pretty much tell when things aren't right. I really don't want to go without my medication, so I continue to become very well acquainted with the lab techs and my physician.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

If you have high thyroid levels in your blood and it goes undetected for a long time, it causes a lot of pain, confusion, brain fog and I need help. They are telling me they cannot do surgery until the levels go down or I will bleed to death during the surgery. God have mercy. My head is closing in on me, I am bloated like air has been pumped into me. I am in a brain fog.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Can you be hyper and hypothyroid? I have symptoms of both, I've been diagnosed with hypo and put on Synthroid, I was reading about hyper and seen I have about five of the symptoms for that, like chest pain, tremors, increased heart rate, weight loss, headaches, insomnia, and extreme fatigue and brain fog,{I know some symptoms are for both}I am also fibrocystic and have had tingling in hands, when I get a cold or sinus infection it's really bad, it's the heart that's worrying me the most, I'm miserable.

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?