Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests � Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

Thyroid "blood" tests were not helpful, because the highly "sensitive TSH" and T4 did not show the health care professional that I had Hashimoto's. Nor did serum tests show that the high conversion from an eventual increased dose of L-thyroxine [200mcg] actually occurred, because I still had hypo symptoms. I knew this because no one had checked the FREE T3 and FREE T4. My TSH was in the low-normal reference range [0.44]; according to that specific lab. However, when the FT3 and FT4 were administered it showed that they were less than what was the lab's "normal-reference" range. Indicating that there was still a problem with my ability to convert all that T4 [storage hormone] to the active T3, indicating a poor conversion rate and perhaps adrenal dysfunction. Hypothyroidism is NOT the simple disease that most patients are lead to believe and the one-size-fits-all approach by doctors because of misinformation by the AMA - is harming more patients than are helped!

Comment from: firestar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been on Synthroid for 15 years now before that I was 15 and never got fat until I got pregnant wit my son, but I didn't know I had it until after I had him and then I started being real cold my hands hurt I would sometimes forget and I still do. I am 32 now. I am real cold. I sometimes forget things. I'm tired all the time I used to love to clean and wash clothes and now I hate doing them. If I didn't have to I wouldn't. I don't like doing a lot of things I use to do I'm on my meds, but like I said I forget sometimes and 2 years ago I went to my 1 doctor. She asked me what I was doing in her office cause she said I should have been dead cause of my blood test was way too high. I feel like there is something else wrong with me but docs checked everything and nothing. I want to say that if you miss your meds you can die from it, go blind, and a lot of other stuff, so take it daily. Don't forget like I do at times.

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female Published: December 01

Thirty years ago, I went to my doctor because I felt tired, depressed and without energy while there was no reason to feel that way. First, he recommended a psychiatrist. I told him I didn't believe I needed tranquilizers or anti-depressants and that I thought there was physically something wrong. So then he took some thyroid blood tests and found I had hypothyroidism. He put me on Synthroid and all of those symptoms I had complained about never came back. It saved my life!

Comment from: kumari, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 08

My thyroid blood test results are, T3-0.9, T4-8.2, and TSH- 2.5.

Comment from: priya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

My thyroid blood test results are T3 94.3ng/dl, T4 7.8, and TSH 0.19.

Comment from: T4 test, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My thyroid blood test result is T4 .3 higher than the normal range.

Comment from: raji, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

The results of my thyroid blood tests: T-3 is 85, T-4 is 7.10, Free T-3, 2.14, Free T-4, 1.10, and TSH is 6.16.

Comment from: Catbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After two years of severe illness, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. It has taken two years of gradual increases in my medication to finally get my TSH down to 2. I am now on 250 mcg of Synthroid. This disease is nothing to play with. I honestly felt like I was going crazy, gaining weight, had heart palpitations, chronic pain all over my body, the list goes on and on. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am now wondering if this is just another symptom of my disease.

Comment from: redeckchick, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on for a long time not knowing what was wrong with me I couldn't gain weight and I was really hyper and I couldn't sleep and that's when they finally found out that I have hyperthyroidism. I have been on methimazole now for almost 20 months and the doctor said that it has worked on everybody else and it has not worked on me I have to go back and they are going to use radioactive dye to kill my thyroid. I am only 18 years old and they say it usually doesn't affect people under 20 and i have had it since I was 16.

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?