Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: raji, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

The results of my thyroid blood tests: T-3 is 85, T-4 is 7.10, Free T-3, 2.14, Free T-4, 1.10, and TSH is 6.16.

Comment from: Catbird, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

After two years of severe illness, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid. It has taken two years of gradual increases in my medication to finally get my TSH down to 2. I am now on 250 mcg of Synthroid. This disease is nothing to play with. I honestly felt like I was going crazy, gaining weight, had heart palpitations, chronic pain all over my body, the list goes on and on. I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and am now wondering if this is just another symptom of my disease.

Comment from: redeckchick, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on for a long time not knowing what was wrong with me I couldn't gain weight and I was really hyper and I couldn't sleep and that's when they finally found out that I have hyperthyroidism. I have been on methimazole now for almost 20 months and the doctor said that it has worked on everybody else and it has not worked on me I have to go back and they are going to use radioactive dye to kill my thyroid. I am only 18 years old and they say it usually doesn't affect people under 20 and i have had it since I was 16.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

My doctor ordered two types of thyroid blood tests because I had gained a lot of weight, despite exercising and diet. I also had very flaky skin, puffy eyes, legs, and hands. I was constantly tired. I could sleep all day if I didn't have to work. The tests revealed I was hypothyroid. I have been on Synthroid for about a month and feel a lot better. I am supposed to have another blood test to assure the level of Synthroid is correct.

Comment from: losing weight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I will be 57 soon and have been on Synthroid for the past maybe 5 years. I weighed my self this morning and now I weigh 102. I hate this because I look like a skeleton. People have said you look sickly many times. My dose is 88mg. I've started taking half hoping that I'll gain some weight. I started out at 120 and felt great then got sick. My doctor doesn't seem to think my losing weight is a big deal.

Comment from: julie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with hypothyroidism and I am taking Eltroxin only 25mcg but I have no appetite. I work 12 hour shifts and can only eat breakfast. For the rest of the day all I can stomach is tea. I am just worried its the tablets not agreeing with me.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I recently (5 weeks ago) started levothyroxine for underactive thyroid. I am a 54 years old, and run 50-60 miles per week, more during marathon training. I was told my problems were related to my age, my running, etc. Finally, I insisted to my family doctor that something was just not right. Having previously been diagnosed with WPW he did pay attention. I am thin and in good shape no one listened. If you feel something is not right, do your research. I now have even more energy and I feel like I a completely different person.

Comment from: Miserable in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I just keep gaining weight. For example, I have gained 7lbs. in the last 6 weeks. I am tired and my blood pressure is high. I was told my thyroid is dead. I was put on Synthroid. I hated it. I would sweat all the time. I felt dizzy.

Comment from: emmajane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

My thyroid was surgically removed in 1997 and I have been on Synthroid ever since. I have blood work every 6 months. I can easily tell when my TSH levels are not "normal."

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?