Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: erutan7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I have so many symptoms of hypothyroidism. I'm a registered nurse and my doctor will not listen. I have a lump in my throat when swallowing, thyroid can't be palpated. There are furrows from my enlarged tongue; and about 40 more symptoms. I have a shift to left of my t3. My TSH 1.49, T3 2.2, T4 0.8. I cannot control my body temperature. Basal temperatures are 95 in the morning and not stable. I can't deal with all these symptoms. I need a referral to endocrinologist. How do I obtain one when doctor says my thyroid is fine! I have had these symptoms for years. I have been so sick, unable to work.

Comment from: Denverbaby24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am beyond frustrated! I got lab work done due to my symptoms. I don"t have health insurance so I did a glucose and full thyroid screening. My first levels came back incredibly low, I felt like maybe this was the answer to my weight gain, heart palpitations, breaking out, extreme fatigue. The doctor ordered an ultrasound of my thyroid, and it said I had some minor cysts on the thyroid. I was then told to have blood work done again in 4 weeks. This blood work came back all normal ranges, but they only checked the TSH and T4 unlike the first time. I am to the point that I don"t know what to do anymore, I am at a loss.

Comment from: Rosemary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My T4 test came back 0.60 uIU/ml. My thyroid gland was removed surgically in my 20s. My physician just reduced my dosage from 1.0 to 0.88 and I find I"m not doing as well as on a higher dosage. I"ve recently, with diet, lost 30 lb. and this is the second time a doctor has lowered my dosage when I lose weight. Doesn"t seem to understand I don"t feel as well.

Comment from: Jenny in Arizona, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I am 38 and a mother of three. Just recently, I was scared by odd chest sensations that turned out to be heart palpitations brought on by thyroid problems. My other symptoms were: hot feelings on my face, sweating, dizziness after the palpitations, inability to concentrate on a task and tenderness in my muscles and tingling limbs. My first blood test showed an underactive thyroid. After taking .025 mcg for 30 days, my blood tests still came back that I needed a dosage increase. So now I just started taking .05 mcg. My symptoms have decreased some. The heart palpitations are down to about three a day and only happen when I am busy doing activities. I still get dizzy, mostly in the mornings. (And mom if you are reading this: No, I am not pregnant, haha.) I am feeling so much better than I did one month ago, and I am looking forward to feeling even better as they regulate my thyroid levels. I hope this will help someone. If I am to have any health issues, this is the one I would choose because I already feel so much better, and I am still not where they want me to be.

Comment from: Shailja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

My T3 is 139 ng/dl, T4 is 11.7 ug/dl and thyroid stimulating hormone TSH is 2.97 uIU/ml, and the testing method for all is CLIA.

Comment from: b sevilla, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

The results of my thyroid blood test are T3 4.34 pg/ml, T4 1.13 pg/ml and TSH 3.10 pg/ml.

Comment from: Odile, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My worst symptoms are overactive bladder (OAB) and shortness of breath. I went to a psychiatrist who thinks the cause is anxiety. But I have many physical symptoms that are very unpleasant and new to me: fatigue, major weight loss, muscle weakness, trembling hands, anxiety and hair loss on my eyebrow! I went to a new internist who suspected thyroid issues, but my thyroid blood test didn't show this. I am dismayed as thyroid is at least treatable! My symptoms are too numerous to be coincidence. I will go for additional tests I guess.

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?