Patient Comments: Thyroid Blood Tests – Hypothyroidism Diagnosis

What were the results of your thyroid blood tests?

Comment from: losing weight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I will be 57 soon and have been on Synthroid for the past maybe 5 years. I weighed my self this morning and now I weigh 102. I hate this because I look like a skeleton. People have said you look sickly many times. My dose is 88mg. I've started taking half hoping that I'll gain some weight. I started out at 120 and felt great then got sick. My doctor doesn't seem to think my losing weight is a big deal.

Comment from: julie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago with hypothyroidism and I am taking Eltroxin only 25mcg but I have no appetite. I work 12 hour shifts and can only eat breakfast. For the rest of the day all I can stomach is tea. I am just worried its the tablets not agreeing with me.

Comment from: Katy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

When I was 14, my ninth grade English teacher told my mom I needed medicine for ADHD because I was to hyper. It was then I started Ritalin and was on it for 6 years, yet it never actually helped. I was still hyper and did horrible in school (short-term memory loss) but continued to persevere as I was in my second year of college and finally I went to the doctor for a rash (one of many that I constantly battled, along with no menstrual cycle, vomiting daily and short-term memory loss and emotional distress) and the pediatric doctor said he wanted to test me for thyroid disease. I was like Huh? What is that? Sure enough the vomiting was because my thyroid was overproducing so much of the thyroid hormone that the vomiting was my body's way of trying to get rid of it. I had radioactive iodine and have been well for about 3 years now. I have had a thyroid storm experience here lately, but there are always bumps in the road. My case was extremely out of the ordinary and one of the worst ones the doctors have seen. Oh and I was 90 pounds from the age of 13 until my diagnosis at age 21.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 17

Thyroid "blood" tests were not helpful, because the highly "sensitive TSH" and T4 did not show the health care professional that I had Hashimoto's. Nor did serum tests show that the high conversion from an eventual increased dose of L-thyroxine [200mcg] actually occurred, because I still had hypo symptoms. I knew this because no one had checked the FREE T3 and FREE T4. My TSH was in the low-normal reference range [0.44]; according to that specific lab. However, when the FT3 and FT4 were administered it showed that they were less than what was the lab's "normal-reference" range. Indicating that there was still a problem with my ability to convert all that T4 [storage hormone] to the active T3, indicating a poor conversion rate and perhaps adrenal dysfunction. Hypothyroidism is NOT the simple disease that most patients are lead to believe and the one-size-fits-all approach by doctors because of misinformation by the AMA - is harming more patients than are helped!

Comment from: firestar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been on Synthroid for 15 years now before that I was 15 and never got fat until I got pregnant wit my son, but I didn't know I had it until after I had him and then I started being real cold my hands hurt I would sometimes forget and I still do. I am 32 now. I am real cold. I sometimes forget things. I'm tired all the time I used to love to clean and wash clothes and now I hate doing them. If I didn't have to I wouldn't. I don't like doing a lot of things I use to do I'm on my meds, but like I said I forget sometimes and 2 years ago I went to my 1 doctor. She asked me what I was doing in her office cause she said I should have been dead cause of my blood test was way too high. I feel like there is something else wrong with me but docs checked everything and nothing. I want to say that if you miss your meds you can die from it, go blind, and a lot of other stuff, so take it daily. Don't forget like I do at times.

Comment from: Pauline, 75 or over Female Published: December 01

Thirty years ago, I went to my doctor because I felt tired, depressed and without energy while there was no reason to feel that way. First, he recommended a psychiatrist. I told him I didn't believe I needed tranquilizers or anti-depressants and that I thought there was physically something wrong. So then he took some thyroid blood tests and found I had hypothyroidism. He put me on Synthroid and all of those symptoms I had complained about never came back. It saved my life!

Thyroid Blood Tests - Why Testing Question: Why did you have thyroid blood tests performed?