Patient Comments: Thymoma - Diagnosis

Please describe how thymoma was diagnosed.

Comment from: kini, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I found out that I have a mass in my chest, which has been determined to be a thymoma which is only 2 cm. I just really don't know what to do from here. Because they say I don't have any cancer habits they are not worried about it being cancer. I don't have insurance and I am always weak, and have chest pain. They said the mass is too small to be causing me any pain but they have no idea what's causing me to have the pain in my chest, which is why I went to seek care and they ordered a CT scan and they found the mass.

Comment from: ann, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I had surgery for cervical cancer and developed pneumonia. X-ray showed a tumor grapefruit sized (larger than my size 9 gloved fist). The thymoma was removed and was determined to be cancerous. I had 6 multi-doses of chemotherapy. I developed myasthenia gravis (diagnosed by an ENT who watched a soap opera where a character had MG). I am still alive 30 plus years later.

Comment from: Strudel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Ten years ago after an x-ray for chest pain they discovered I had a calcified thymus which was benign so they decided to do nothing. Then 2 years ago I had oral thrush that would not respond to treatment, and my doctor thought there might be a link to the thymus and sent me for an x-ray and it showed that the thymoma had invaded my lungs, superior vena cava and phrenic nerve. It has since been removed and I had radiotherapy. I still have to take medication for oral thrush.

Comment from: Barbie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

After being diagnosed with myasthenia gravis I was given a CT scan, that's when they discovered the mass of thymoma.

Comment from: LAMike, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

My thymoma was found during a chest x-ray. I had red blood cell count so they did a bone marrow biopsy to see why the low count, which lead to a chest x-ray. I had my thymoma removed surgically in October 2013. After that I had 33 doses of proton radiation.

Comment from: cg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have just been diagnosed with a thymoma. My grandmother had myasthenia gravis. I have no idea where it came from and I would like to know if it is cancer and what to do next. The heart specialist gave me a chest CT and I have heard no more. I just want to know if they are all cancer tumors. I guess not from what I am reading so I will just wait for the doctors to figure it out I guess. Depressing not to know what it is.

Comment from: chris, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 09

Never stop having regular checkups, even if you are released clean of the thymoma. Mine is back after 10 years, in a local spot of the other.

Thymoma - Symptoms Question: What were the signs and symptoms of thymoma experienced by you, a friend, or family member?
Thymoma - Treatment Question: What was the treatment you, a friend, or family member received for thymoma?