Patient Comments: Thymoma - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of thymoma experienced by you, a friend, or family member?

Comment from: daisy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a thymoma type B3 diagnosed by fine needle biopsy. And doctor said I need surgery to take out the tumor, for me its resectable (direct removal). Prior to that I lost too much weight, lost appetite, I had oral thrush in my mouth, difficulty of swallowing, fatigue, muscle weakness, was sleepy always, and coughing. Currently I am still waiting for my schedule of operation, it will take probably 5 to 7 days stay in the hospital.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I had a thymoma removed and this May will be my 5 year checkup. My only symptoms were a heartbeat that I could feel in my throat which later proved to be a benign irregular heart beat called a first beat, and 3 bouts of bronchitis in 4 months. That's when my primary care doctor ordered a chest x-ray. It was not thymic carcinoma thankfully, but it was large and there was no separation on the CAT scan of the tumor between my heart and lungs. I did 3 rounds of chemotherapy which shrunk it greatly and then the surgery to remove. Very fortunate and surgeon said if not discovered when it was and the tumor attached to my heart and or lungs, I would have been in big trouble. No MG (myasthenia gravis), no re-growth so far as well and happy to report I am doing great. Looking forward to celebrating that 5 year anniversary! My very best wishes to anyone going through this. It was not easy and was very scary stuff, but you do what you have to do.

Comment from: Carol R, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I lost my voice. I was sent to an ear, nose and throat specialist who couldn't detect a problem so sent me for voice therapy. All was going well until I lost my voice again. The therapist checked and discovered that my left vocal cord was paralyzed. I was then sent for a CT scan where they discovered the tumor which was pressing on a nerve which was attached to my vocal cord. A biopsy revealed a thymoma. My surgeon said it was too close to my aorta for surgery so I had three rounds of chemotherapy and 5 weeks of radiation. The tumor shrunk a lot. They now feel that what is left is scar tissue. That was 4 1/2 years ago.

Comment from: Journey 2, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I feel it important to point out that I had no other symptoms at all other than an unexplained bruise in the center of my chest. As this did not go with time I had chest x-ray, and it was diagnosed as thymoma in 2010. Due to the tumor's location surgery was not an option, so I underwent chemotherapy and radiotherapy early 2011. I had no problem with chemotherapy, and the radiotherapy caused problems for a short while with pain when swallowing, but this eased after a month or so. My thymoma has remained stable since then and I undergo regular six monthly scans and oncology reviews. I hope this is of benefit to others.

Comment from: Blue, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had shortness of breath, pain in my back and left shoulder and a fairly high fever. The thymoma was found in a chest x-ray. It was removed surgically, but the pathologist found a small breach in the tumor capsule, which is why I also got 22 doses of radiation.

Comment from: Mamabear, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 24

My 10 month old son had a CT scan to evaluate a unilateral vocal cord paralysis. There was a mass found to the superior anterior mediastinum. The ENT thinks this may be a thymoma. We have to consult with a pediatric surgeon and a hematologist/oncologist. I am really nervous for my baby just not knowing what to expect or what the action plan for treatment will be.

Thymoma - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how thymoma was diagnosed.
Thymoma - Treatment Question: What was the treatment you, a friend, or family member received for thymoma?