Patient Comments: Thymoma - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms of thymoma experienced by you, a friend, or family member?

Comment from: magpiemona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I did not feel well all weekend and felt short of breath. I had some shortness of breath and felt tired over the previous year after the diagnosis. The morning I went to the emergency room, I awoke, dressed and got ready for work, then left for work. I got about a 1/2 mile from my home when I felt extreme pain to my chest and was very short of breath. I turned around and when I arrived at the emergency room, I was rushed in, due to the symptoms. They ran 2 EKGs, which produced no irregularities, then did a chest x-ray. The x-ray showed a mass the size of a large orange directly behind my left chest wall. The emergency room doctor told me that it was one of two things: lymphoma or a thymoma. He told me that he thought it was the latter and that the treatment was removal. I was hospitalized for 4 days, went home for 3, then back into the hospital for the removal procedure and a 6 day hospital stay. They thought that they got it all but a microscopic part had been breached, so I had 27 treatments of radiation.

Comment from: bellaboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I actually had a thymoma removed approximately 23 years ago. My symptoms were pain radiating from my jaw down my right arm. It also hurt to take a deep breath.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I had no indications of thymoma, it was found while I had a heart scan. It was removed via an open heart operation, as the surgeon was unsure whether I would need heart surgery or not. Now I am having a brain scan due to my sleeping habits/acting out dreams/sleep talk/walk. I have no idea whether there is a link to the thymoma.

Comment from: siskate, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had a very sore mouth. I was treated for a yeast infection but it did not help. I went to an ENT and he ordered a PET scan and a biopsy; no cancer in mouth or tongue. I also have had myasthenia gravis for 15 years.

Thymoma - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how thymoma was diagnosed.
Thymoma - Treatment Question: What was the treatment you, a friend, or family member received for thymoma?