- Cancer 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Breast Cancer Slideshow Pictures
- Skin Cancer Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Thymoma - Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Thymoma - Diagnosis
- Patient Comments: Thymoma - Treatment
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Thymoma facts
- What is thymoma?
- What causes thymoma, and what are risk factors for thymoma?
- What are signs and symptoms of thymoma?
- What other medical conditions are associated with thymoma?
- How is thymoma diagnosed?
- What are the stages of thymoma?
- What is the treatment for thymoma?
- What is the prognosis for thymoma?
- Can thymoma be prevented?
What is the prognosis for thymoma?
The prognosis (outcome) for thymoma is dependent upon the stage of the tumor as well as the ability to successfully remove the tumor by surgery. Thymic carcinomas tend to behave more aggressively and have a worse prognosis than thymomas. Thymomas tend to be slow-growing tumors, and the prognosis is excellent for those with Stage 1 or Stage 2 thymoma. In a study of patients whose thymomas were completely removed by surgery, only 3% of the tumors recurred. Even 83% of patients with Stage 3 thymoma were alive 10 years after diagnosis. The 10-year survival rate for Stage 4 thymoma is approximately 47%. Overall, a majority of thymoma patients will live at least 5 years, while fewer than half or those with thymic carcinoma are expected to live that long.
Can thymoma be prevented?
Because the cause of thymoma is not known and no risk factors have been identified, prevention of thymoma is not possible.
Medically reviewed by Jay B. Zatzkin, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Medical Oncology
Ströbel, Philipp, et al., "Tumor recurrence and survival in patients treated for thymomas and thymic squamous cell carcinomas: a retrospective analysis." Journal of Clinical Oncology 22.8 (2004): 1501-1509.
Travis, William D., et al., eds. "Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of the Lung, Pleura, Thymus and Heart." In: World Health Organization Classification of Tumours. 1st Edition. Lyon, France: IARC Press, 2004.