Patient Comments: Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

Comment from: Maggie, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My baby is now 6 months old and has had thrush in his mouth for around four long months. It started by antibiotics. I treated it with Nilstat drops for three months, and it didn't change a thing! I haven't treated it for one month now, and it is still there but it's not getting any worse. I tell the doctor and she says it'll go in its own time.

Published: July 02

I'm 17 years old, and my doctor says that I may have thrush. He's gotten a second opinion and I took a throat culture and blood test to see if it really is a fungal infection. I also have asthma and I'm not to sure if its being triggered by whatever could be sprouting in the back of my throat. 4 days ago I was at the doctors because of a weird feeling in my throat and persistent mucus, but they took a strep test and it came out negative. He put me on Nasonex. I'm not sexually active and I haven't kissed anyone in quite sometime. I haven't been too stressed out either.

Published: June 30

A natural way to treat thrush in the early stages is to eat plain yogurt, holding it in your mouth for 30-60 seconds with each bite. Make sure it says "active culture" on the label. If you cannot tolerate the sour flavor, put a cup or two in a blender, and add a banana, and a little honey for flavor if necessary. A little ice makes it like a shake. Sip and hold it in your mouth with each drink. I had a camper get this where we didn't have much in the way of medical help, and we did this, plus gave the camper Acidophilus pills (Pearls is the name we used, they are good as they target the lower intestine, and are tiny so are easy to swallow). She was clear of the thrush in two days. She was taking two "Pearls", 4 times a day. This helps fight the yeast infection, and put good bacteria into your system so it does not spread to other parts of your body. One other thing we did is to take her off any white sugar and breads as these feed the yeast.

Published: June 19

My toddler son has now had thrush in his mouth 7 times after the 4 time the doctor took a blood test it came back he was low in iron (which is understandable he has severe reflux) so he thought that was the reason for getting thrush. He since has been on Ferodan 5mls twice daily for the past 3 months only to get thrush back again. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Published: June 05

My 6 week old daughter developed thrush and I didn't know it. I am breast feeding and she spread it to me. I experienced soreness, cracking & bleeding of the breasts. My daughter was treated with a prescribed medicine. I was treated by applying Lotrimin anti fungal cream to my nipple area. Both treatments cleared the problem.

Published: May 29

My 3 year old grandson was fine and then white spots appeared on his tongue. Over the next day they continued to spread on the tongue, uvula, & roof of his mouth. It's only been one day, but he is otherwise happy and active as usual.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 16

My husband developed thrush after throat surgery. He took two different types of antibiotics as part of his treatment. My husband rarely if never takes medication and as a result he developed thrush in his mouth and throat. He was prescribed medication and in about 3 weeks the thrush was gone. For 3 weeks now he has complained of upper back pain and abdominal pain. Today he had blood in his stool and a fever. Is this a symptom that the thrush has spread to his lower intestine or another part of his body? We have an appointment with a gastro doctor tomorrow.

Comment from: mother of two, 0-2 (Patient) Published: October 16

I have a 13 month old child and at first I noticed she had a diaper rash. The next day the rash had spread and she had a small white bump on her tongue. I decided to take her to the doctor. The very next day and all night she had a fever. In the morning I noticed her mouth lesion was bigger and it looked like cottage cheese, the rash looked worse and once at the doctor's office they told me it was thrush.

Thrush - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with thrush?