Patient Comments: Thrush - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with thrush.

Published: July 22

I'm a healthy, active 51-year-old, but I smoke. I noticed some white bumps on the back of my tongue the other day. Upon further inspection, I noticed a green tint to my tongue. I had thought it was from a Spearmint I had just eaten, however, the green tint has lasted for a few days now. I went to a doctor and was diagnosed with thrush. I am going for blood work in a couple of days. The doctor prescribed "rest" along with the following prescriptions: Clotrimazole: 10 mg chewable tablets, five times per day. Fluconazole: 150 mg pill, one time per day for 10 days. No pain involved. I am pretty stressed at the office, so I am praying that that is all it is. I have been on the medications since last night and have noticed a reduction in the visible symptoms.

Comment from: mopaulson, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I have sleepless nights due to dry mouth and a coating of white saliva. The days seem better because I get to drink water.

Comment from: Mia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have 6 or 7 sores under my tongue and inside between front teeth and lips. I"m having a hard time eating right now.

Comment from: samba, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I have suffered thrush for two years now, all effort to treat it proved abortive. I have done various tests including HIV test many times in the space of two years, all showing normal. I am so tired of my health state as it has deprived me so many things of life.

Comment from: buddy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I have had thrush for about 2 weeks. I am being treated by the doctor with Nystatin oral suspension. I do have lupus. It isn't getting better, and now I have a yeast infection vaginally.

Comment from: cmb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I found out I was in perimenopause and almost no estrogen production. My endocrinologist put me on hormone replacement. A low dose at first then increased it double due to still too low estrogen. Within 3 months I noticed a white tongue and difficulty swallowing. I felt like something stuck in my throat. I was put on nystatin at first. It helped a little, then fluconazole for 10 days. It went 3 weeks after treatment really well, then another bout. I'm currently on 2nd round of 10 day fluconazole. I pray it works this time. I no longer take the estrogen!

Comment from: jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had thrush for about a month now and no meds are helping. My tongue is a light shade of green and it is painful, and sometimes burns. I have loose fitting dentures and have taken them out and still with my meds the thrush is not going away. I did the oral rinse twice, and am on a double dose of Fluconazole 100 mg. I have to take 2 of them once a day. I was also on a med that made me sick. It started with sufa don't remember the rest. Is anyone else having a hard time with getting rid of thrush?

Comment from: Tiredof being sick!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

The doctor put me on levaquin 500mg for sore throat and about 5 days later i started to notice white patches in the back of my throat and on the inside of my bottom lip. It is thrush from taking the antibiotic and inhalers. It is treated with a liquid that you swish around in your mouth then you swallow it.

Comment from: KrisW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I developed thrush after a week of steroid and antibiotic treatment for a throat infection. Yesterday, I discovered the white, uncomfortable bumps on my inner lips, tongue, and cheeks. In the past, I have used Colgate baking soda and peroxide toothpaste for sores in the mouth and brushed with it a few time during the day and at night. This morning the thrush was much improved, and tonight it is almost gone.

Thrush - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with thrush?